Low resistant clamp/holder for 18650 cells?

wshyang

Newly Enlightened
I've recently gotten a CBA IV, so it is time for me to do some tests on some cells that I have sitting around!

I do have on hand some of those $0.99 eBay cheapie 18650 holders, but the wires that came soldered with them are incredibly thin, and the whole thing just looks poor in general, so I am feeling concerned that it might affect test results.

Is there some good quality clamp/holder of sorts that you've used before for doing similar type of testing?

Thanks!

HKJ

Flashaholic
Is there some good quality clamp/holder of sorts that you've used before for doing similar type of testing?

For all my test I have used this type of holder:
DSC_6145.jpg

Here is the improved version I have used the the 2012 battery test:
DSC_0281.jpg

The important point is that I uses separate wires for current and measurement, but this is not possible on the CBA.

wshyang

Newly Enlightened
DSC_6145.jpg

DSC_0281.jpg

The important point is that I uses separate wires for current and measurement, but this is not possible on the CBA.

What kind of clamp is it HKJ?

Actually I am trying to figure out the brand (can't make out from the picture) and also what it is called. It doesn't look like anything I've seen around, thanks!

HKJ

Flashaholic
What kind of clamp is it HKJ?

Actually I am trying to figure out the brand (can't make out from the picture) and also what it is called. It doesn't look like anything I've seen around, thanks!

The topmost clamp picture is an Irwin, the clamps I am using in my current battery test does not have a name.

The wire connection is DIY. I drilled a hole through the top and bottom of the clamp and then used a screw and some brass nuts. Next time around I replaced the brass nuts with a piece of a copper rod.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do have on hand some of those $0.99 eBay cheapie 18650 holders, but the wires that came soldered with them are incredibly thin, and the whole thing just looks poor in general, so I am feeling concerned that it might affect test results.
I use these butI have soldered new wires in a new way....pass the new wire through the rivet hole of the - contact (spring), through the spring itself, and soldered it right at the tip of the spring.
Same goes for the + contact.
This way you have wire on battery contact only.....

fedcas

Newly Enlightened
DSC_6145.jpg

DSC_0281.jpg

Hi hkj, found this post through google images ;) just wondering what is the third cable for...?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Hi hkj, found this post through google images ;) just wondering what is the third cable for...?

There is 3 sets of cables: Electronic load, electronic load sense and power supply. The power supply connection is routed through a relay so it is only connected when charging.
I do not use this type of battery holder anymore, all my test today are done with something similar to what Gauss163 shows.