ArmyTek        

Thread: LED flashlight for hunting

Default LED flashlight for hunting

Hello. I am after an LED flashlight for hunting.

Bit of background. I am used to using a Lightforce 170mm Striker handheld with a 100W bulb. Run on a 12V 7.5AH battery. This has down well for years but I realize I am in the dark ages now.

I have seen some nice LED flashlights out there but to be honest, they confuse the hell out of me.

I have rechargeable AA batteries and a PowerEx MH-C9000 charger so I should really utilize this as it can charge AA and AAA batteries

Question time then.

1. What flashlight will give me the same throw/distance as my Lightforce 170mm Striker handheld with a 100W bulb and runs on AA batteries?

2. Is there such a beast as a handheld LED light that runs on 12V batteries?

Doesn't have to be scope mount although I can see how that could be useful.

I like the look of the Led Lenser X7R but don't like the fact that it only says it last for 1.5hours full power. Would be ideal if it could be used in conjunction with the USB charger and external battery, then I could go all night!

What is the thoughts on the X14? LED Lenser seem to get a bad rap, being a newbie I am not sure why? What is the "other brand" equal of the X1?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by p67; 08-24-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Default Re: LED flashlight for hunting

Fenix TK41 is the brightest thing that runs on AA's sense you already have a good quality charger. I have no idea about the other stuff
    Fenix LD01 R4, E05 R4, PD31, TK20, TK35, E11, Jetbeam BC10, BC25, RRT-0, iTP A3 R5, A3 Ti S2, 4Sevens Quark X 123^2, Sunwayman V10R Ti (lost RIP), Surefire G2X Tactical, ThruNite TN31vn, Mag-Lite XL50, Mag 2D XP-E

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post
    Fenix TK41 is the brightest thing that runs on AA's sense you already have a good quality charger. I have no idea about the other stuff
    Cheers. I have heard that although the TK41 runs on 8 AAs it can also run on 4 AAs? Not sure if that is fact or myth.

Flashaholic

highly reccomend upgrading to 18650s. if you want to stick with AAs, they're old tech and tough if you want 300+ lumens. do some CPF searches to learn more about your high power AA choices. Fenix make a few, olight baton series, sunwayman m30a/m40a etc. search for it

how far does your lightforce throw? i've nfi about that light. the x14 can focus to around guessing 200metres, the xt11 and other 18650s will advertise APPROX 200 metres as well. but really its not useable at that distanec. too dim.

not sure about 12volters - dont think so.

whats the x7r? is it a rechargeable version of the p7? the p7 runs on AAAs. thats your problem. they have less than half the capacity of AAs, and AAs aren't even that great. klarus make a really good rechargeable light, a new model. its like the XT11, dont know the exact model but you CAN charge it usb. search for usb lights on CPF. no point typing stuff twice.

x14 looks good, but at least twice the price it should be. search a thread "why the dislike for LED lensers" for info about lensers.

Thanks. Will do some searching.

You say you run it off a 12V, 7AH battery. There are 12V, 7AH lithium phosphate batteries available, for about $100 each. They weigh less than 4 pounds, so it would cut your weight considerably.

I'm sorry I don't have a ready-to-go replacement light.

I had another idea so started another thread

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ble&highlight=

This is where I am headed;
    12V battery --> DC-DC switch mode regulator --> modified LED flashlight (basically do away with the battery pack section).

your light 100w halogen with 170mm reflector, that is a lot of throw, i doubt you'll find led that will throw as far, or even close. you also have 3000+ bulb lumen, leds can match it easy, but i have not seen optics for leds that will match throw or hotwire with 170mm reflector. you can get that reach using many leds, like xml, if you use enough you'll reach where your reach now, but it will be a huge wall of light, not an accurate thin beam of focused hotwire or hid.

you can experiment with leds and aspheric lens, in theory possible but have not seen it done. as in form factor of practical searchlight.

your best bet to "upgrade" is to install hid into your existing housing, 35w hid will give you a bit more lumens as 100w halogen, (20-30%) same throw but at the 1\3 of power consumption.

but if you insist on led, i would try thrustfire x6, sst90 light, (the led isn't driven to max there, 6,5A vs 9A), and if you like how it works, remove batt tube, and install a plug with a wire for your sla. that light has sst90 led and big reflector. 73mm.

you can also try olight sr90, with sst90 led, and even bigger reflector, 2000lumens, also you can unscrew batterry tube\handle, make a plug with wire, that wil go where the tube was, but that is around $500 light. vs 150 for thrustfire. your choice, which one you wanna experiment with.
    Last edited by alpg88; 08-25-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Cheers alpg88. I have a LOT to learn. Everytime I read the forum I come up with another idea.

My main issue is I like some of the high power flashlights but DONT like expensive batteries that go with them. I would like to be able to use a light plugged into my ciggi lighter in the ute or put on a 12V battery and walk around all night.

I think I am correct that there are not many LED modules that are 12V input. Most appear to be 9V max. Hence the need to regulate/drop from 12V to 9V or 6V to use with some "off the shelf" LED module.

I will take a look at that Thrustfire. Not sure I understand this part however.

Quote Originally Posted by alpg88 View Post
    but if you insist on led, i would try thrustfire x6, sst90 light, (the led isn't driven to max there, 6,5A vs 9A), and if you like how it works, remove batt tube, and install a plug with a wire for your sla. that light has sst90 led and big reflector. 73mm.
    Wont that be running it straight from 12VDC? Surely that will kill the thing? This is where the DC-DC reg will come into play. Also, how many amps to these things pull?

Thanks for the input, I realise I am a bit painful.

I also want to make an underwater light for spearing flounder but will read about then post another thread for that. Will need a flood type LED light. Again 12 or 6V.
    Last edited by p67; 08-25-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by p67 View Post

I will take a look at that Thrustfire. Not sure I understand this part however.

Wont that be running it straight from 12VDC? Surely that will kill the thing? This is where the DC-DC reg will come into play. Also, how many amps to these things pull?

it normaly runs on 3x li ion, 11.1-12.6v so you shouldn't burn it. you don't need a dc dc reg.
    it pbly draws 2-3 amps,

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by p67 View Post
    Hello. I am after an LED flashlight for hunting.

Bit of background. I am used to using a Lightforce 170mm Striker handheld with a 100W bulb. Run on a 12V 7.5AH battery. This has down well for years but I realize I am in the dark ages now.

I have seen some nice LED flashlights out there but to be honest, they confuse the hell out of me.

I have rechargeable AA batteries and a PowerEx MH-C9000 charger so I should really utilize this as it can charge AA and AAA batteries

Question time then.

1. What flashlight will give me the same throw/distance as my Lightforce 170mm Striker handheld with a 100W bulb and runs on AA batteries?

2. Is there such a beast as a handheld LED light that runs on 12V batteries?

Doesn't have to be scope mount although I can see how that could be useful.

I like the look of the Led Lenser X7R but don't like the fact that it only says it last for 1.5hours full power. Would be ideal if it could be used in conjunction with the USB charger and external battery, then I could go all night!

What is the thoughts on the X14? LED Lenser seem to get a bad rap, being a newbie I am not sure why? What is the "other brand" equal of the X1?

Thanks in advance.
    Just wondering what the purpose for your light will be to better understand what your wanting.
    All throw for long distance like with an aspheric? Or more multi-purpose for something you would use to walk trails with and see out to 100-150 yards.

White light, Neutral, or color LEDs ?? Or IR LEDs?
    EagleTac T20C2 MKII Neutral OP, Weapons & RGB Kit - Neutral SMO, CW XP-G R5 OP [Quark WW 123x2 Tac, WW-AA-2 Turbo, WW-123 Turbo]
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=235171

Quote Originally Posted by somename View Post
    Just wondering what the purpose for your light will be to better understand what your wanting.
    All throw for long distance like with an aspheric? Or more multi-purpose for something you would use to walk trails with and see out to 100-150 yards.

White light, Neutral, or color LEDs ?? Or IR LEDs?
    All throw for long distance. Spotlighting deer. Spill is a BAD BAD thing when spotlighting deer.

This here looks like the stuff

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ht=scope+mount
    Last edited by p67; 09-05-2012 at 08:22 PM.