My initial thoughts on my new ZebraLight SC51

jbrett14

Enlightened
In short: perfection? Time will tell, but I just took it outside, along with my favorite 2xAA light (JetBeam BA20), and the two are darn near identical in the quality of light output, with the JetBeam only appearing brighter at longer distances (beyond what one would need for general everyday use). In other words, for a single cell light, this ZebraLight is FANTASTIC beyond what I had imagined, even after reading hundreds of posts about it.

This is my first 1xAA handheld light (I have the H501) and I never would have thought it would be sufficient for my all-purpose go-to light. It is, in every way, capable of being that light.

I cannot understand why more manufacturers don't make switches like the ZL - easy to use, and with perfect ergonomics.

Just curious, does anyone know why ZL does NOT put their name on their lights? This doesn't make sense to me. If I were them, I would want my NAME to be KNOWN to whoever might happen to pick up their lights. And along with that, a model number on the light. I don't get it.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Welcome to the SC ZL club! I'm still enjoying the slightly older SC50w and the really old H50. Zebralight is kind of a goofy name, like a few others out there. Maybe they think it better to just leave it off and save some trouble.

Geoff

low

Enlightened
Just curious, does anyone know why ZL does NOT put their name on their lights? This doesn't make sense to me. If I were them, I would want my NAME to be KNOWN to whoever might happen to pick up their lights. And along with that, a model number on the light. I don't get it.

I would like to hope that they hate seeing people advertise for free as much as I do. Like car dealers do. You pay a premium and then have to advertise for them, for free.

Rest assured, good products rarely go unnoticed, especially around here!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I like my SC51c as well. Great interface and the clip works well in my pocket.

I like how there are no labels on the light, makes it look cleaner.

Swede74

Enlightened
They do put their name on the ZL SC600. Maybe on some other models too - I only have the SC600 and the SC51. I actually think it may be a good idea not to put their name on all of their lights; the SC51 for instance is a very powerful single AA light, which means non-flashoholics will be impressed by it and ask proud owners if they can have a closer look. Anyone who examines a powerful flashlight (maybe for the first time) and doesn't see a brand name / logo on it is likely to ask about the name of the company that makes it; maybe that way more attention will be drawn to the name and it's more likely to pop up in the heads of new customers when they are about to buy their first high-end light.

OneBigDay

Enlightened
First I totally agree that for a 1xAA form factor light the SC51 is darn near perfect. I rotate things around and my interest is fleeting with certain features and such, but the SC51 finds it's way into my pocket very often. The only thing that can beat it is my ITP A3 and that isn't an apples to apples comparison.

As far as the logo goes, I am always interested in what people have to say around this because I go out of my way to find things that aren't branded. I won't name brands but there are a few recent offerings that are really nice from a feature standpoint but they are blazened with a high contrast huge logo on it?! I guess this doesn't bother some people but for me it's a deal breaker, so the logoless zebras are just another benefit of these lights.

jbrett14

Enlightened
Just wanted to add an additional comment, now that I am back from a week in the Canadian wilderness.

On one occassion, while the light was in the pocket of my loose fitting shorts, my hand swung by my leg, barely tapping against the pocket. To my disappointment, the light turned on in my pocket.

I thought ZebraLight had fixed this switch issue (too easily activated) with all their lights this past year. Yes, no?

I love the light, but it doesn't seem logical to have to twist the tailcap, as if a "twisty", in order to get a "clicky" to not come on accidentally. The whole point of a "clicky" is NOT to have to "twist". I realize that many owners don't seem to care about this but for those of us who don't like "twistys", and who prefer the simplicity of a single click with one hand, this is a major disappointment against an otherwise "perfect" light. Heck, if I am gonna have to twist the cap each time I pull it out of my pocket, then why not just eliminate the click switch and get a twisty (e.g. Olight) for less money?

Also, in the real world, I find that I don't really need any more than 2 (3 max) modes of light. I don't mind having the extra modes on this light because of it's easy UI, but if I end up having to use this as a two-step ("twisty" AND "clicky") light, then it seems I may have been better off with just a simple "twisty", which I was trying to get away from in the first place.

I would LOVE to find that "perfect" light, which would be a "clicky" that does not require twisting. It's too bad that this one little problem is what keeps this light from being that "perfect" light. Again, I thought ZL had fixed this issue with ALL their models.

OneBigDay

Enlightened
I would agree that "locking out" the tail is a must if you are going to carry this. It comes on pretty easily without doing this. I guess I just got in the habit of doing it, and so I don't even think about it anymore. This could be annoying for some. I think this was discussed at length in the longer Zebralight thread closer to when this light was being released. Whether you like it or not it is a good lesson that although everybody starts looking at lumens, eventually the UI and various other things will become more important than sheer output. :thinking:

I hope you can still get some good use out of this light.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZL does make some great lights, no question.

I like their build quality, love the interface, and especially the fact that they are one of the very few companies that ALWAYS focus on a long runtimes provided by efficient circuits and a broad selection of low lumen modes. Unfortunately I don't buy them anymore due to the accidental activation (not a big deal to lockout, but I always forget at some point), I think their specs are overstated (measured my 172lm H51w against another 107lm AA light, it's no brighter - ceiling bounce test, DSLR metered off floor), and the worst of it is that they don't stand behind their products with the shortest warranty and, from what I've read, pretty poor customer service.

jbrett14

Enlightened
I think this was discussed at length in the longer Zebralight thread closer to when this light was being released.

Yes it was. I thought I read somewhere though, that ZL fixed this issue on ALL their lights, within the last year. Anybody have any insight on this?

I bought this with the belief that this issue had already been fixed.

Such an awesome little light to be dismissed as the "perfect" light because of such a simple fix. Odd! This very well could prevent me from buying any more of this brand, even though I truly love every other thing about this light. It's a shame.

Anyone else have any suggestions for a small 1 x AA pocket light that does not require twisting AND clicking to turn on? I prefer a clicky but there are not many out there from what I can tell.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it was. I thought I read somewhere though, that ZL fixed this issue on ALL their lights, within the last year. Anybody have any insight on this?

I bought this with the belief that this issue had already been fixed.

Such an awesome little light to be dismissed as the "perfect" light because of such a simple fix. Odd! This very well could prevent me from buying any more of this brand, even though I truly love every other thing about this light. It's a shame.

Anyone else have any suggestions for a small 1 x AA pocket light that does not require twisting AND clicking to turn on? I prefer a clicky but there are not many out there from what I can tell.

Hasn't happened yet.

The newest Zebralights have a new switch that is smaller, more deeply recessed, and requires much more pressure to cycle (SC600, SC80, H600, H502). The older zebralight models, such as the SC51 you just purchased still use the old switch.

The new switch is excellent. My SC80 has virtually no chance of coming on accidentally in the pocket and tailcap lockout is completely unnecessary. As an EDC pocket flashlight its ergonomics and feel in the hand are quite a bit better than the SC51. The downside is it's also more expensive and noticeably larger.

Hopefully Zebralight will come out with an SC52 that would be like the SC51 except with the newer switch. Or perhaps come out with a AA optimized light like the SC80, just much thinner. But for now, such models don't exist.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are plenty of nice lights out there that aren't from Zebralight.
You'll be able to find something you like, that is reliable.

Lights with a single AA battery are a weak category. You can probably do a lot better in the CR123 category, or else find a single AA light that can handle the rechargeable li-ion protected 14500 battery, and that will give you plenty of output in the same basic size format.

And twisties aren't so bad. They can be made shorter than most rear-clicky lights, and they don't have to have such a fat head for the side-switch like a Zebralight has.
I like twisties for reliability and size and easy use.

davecroft

Enlightened

A few to consider: Fenix E11, Jetbeam BA10 and Jetbeam PA01. The Fenix is my favourite, a really nice low cost light. The tailcap does protrude but I have never found it switches on accidentally. The PA01 is a really small AA clicky. Impossible to turn on accidentally due to recessed tailswitch but has a fiddly UI. BA10 is a nice light which can be found at a good price, a good solid reliable light with useful clip.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few to consider: Fenix E11, Jetbeam BA10 and Jetbeam PA01. The Fenix is my favourite, a really nice low cost light. The tailcap does protrude but I have never found it switches on accidentally. The PA01 is a really small AA clicky. Impossible to turn on accidentally due to recessed tailswitch but has a fiddly UI. BA10 is a nice light which can be found at a good price, a good solid reliable light with useful clip.

I recommend the Eagletac D25a over the PA01. I have both. The PA01 is small and feels great in the hand, but the interface is awkward as it tends to advance to the next setting when you turn it on again. Also, the tint on mine is rather greenish. And because it uses an XPG R5, it's not that bright. It also might have heat issues if left on too long due to the LED being mounted directly to the stainless steel collar. I have a BK-135a, which is basically a limited edition PA01, and it fried from overheating after just 5 minutes on high on a AA alkaline cell. Jetbeam also seems like it's in the process of closing down shop so it's quite likely the warranty won't be honored.

The Eagletac D25a is about the same size. It's a newer light and can be obtained with a variety of emitters. On mine I chose a neutral tint XM-L. This gives a beautiful creamy tint.

Output of the D25a is similar to that on the PA01 when run on AA cells. However, stick an IMR 14500 in the D25a and watch it scream along at ridiculous output. The U2 version on an IMR cell will emit 770 lumens at turn-on. The T6 neutral version is probalby somewhere in the 600 range. Still very bright. The biggest downside of running the light on Li-ion is you lose all lower modes and the light becomes a one-mode light.

Overall I'd rate the D25a a better light than the PA01 in virtually every respect.

jbrett14

Enlightened
Great posts from all. Thank you very much for the good information.

I'm sure all the lights suggested are great lights and I will certainly check them out, but I must be extra picky in what I am hoping for. There are a couple things I MUST HAVE (for my own taste) to be considered my "perfect" EDC light. One of those things is that I wouldn't want the light to be ANY bigger than this SC51. I believe this eliminates all CR123 options?

I also don't want a twisty that requires twisting it 3 or more times to change the level of brightness. And I am not a huge fan of tail end clickies.

This pretty much means that for now, this SC51 might be the closest thing I can get to MY "perfect" light. It has EVERYTHING I would ask for, except for that darn switch issue. I don't think I would sacrifice it's fantastic UI or it's fantastic splay of light output for another brand of light that is inferior in these two things, for the only gain being a light that I wouldn't have to lock out. This SC51 seems to have more pros than the others have cons.

That SC80 looks very tempting though. I just don't think I would like that it's larger. I was already reluctant going from a 1 x AAA iTP to this SC51 for my pocket. If I were to go for a larger light, my thoughts are that if I am gonna go for the SC80, I may as well not stop, and just get the SC600.

Perhaps for now, I will just learn to live with locking out this light, until they change to the switch they are now using on the newer models.

This disease is bad - being a flashaholic :)

Thanks again, for all the input from everyone. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great posts from all. Thank you very much for the good information.

I'm sure all the lights suggested are great lights and I will certainly check them out, but I must be extra picky in what I am hoping for. There are a couple things I MUST HAVE (for my own taste) to be considered my "perfect" EDC light. One of those things is that I wouldn't want the light to be ANY bigger than this SC51. I believe this eliminates all CR123 options?

I also don't want a twisty that requires twisting it 3 or more times to change the level of brightness. And I am not a huge fan of tail end clickies.

This pretty much means that for now, this SC51 might be the closest thing I can get to MY "perfect" light. It has EVERYTHING I would ask for, except for that darn switch issue. I don't think I would sacrifice it's fantastic UI or it's fantastic splay of light output for another brand of light that is inferior in these two things, for the only gain being a light that I wouldn't have to lock out. This SC51 seems to have more pros than the others have cons.

That SC80 looks very tempting though. I just don't think I would like that it's larger. I was already reluctant going from a 1 x AAA iTP to this SC51 for my pocket. If I were to go for a larger light, my thoughts are that if I am gonna go for the SC80, I may as well not stop, and just get the SC600.

Perhaps for now, I will just learn to live with locking out this light, until they change to the switch they are now using on the newer models.

This disease is bad - being a flashaholic :)

Thanks again, for all the input from everyone. Much appreciated.

CR123 is shorter than AA, so it is quite possible to find CR123 lights that are shorter than the SC51, although the SC51 is quite compact.

Whether you can find anything you like better or not, might be another matter.

To me, for a light to meet the basic qualification of "light", it needs to turn on. If it has run the battery dead in your pocket or backpack, and won't turn on because of a dead battery, it ain't much of a "light". At that point, nothing else matters.
Locking it out is making you do the "twist", even though you didn't want to.

What you seem to be describing here is common here on CPF. People buy "feature sets", not flashlights, even if they are forced to overlook design flaws at the most basic reliability level.
As if the only difference between lights is some differences in features.
In a word, they buy "toys". Which is fine, I guess.

If you want to buy a serious flashlight, put reliability, function, and quality first, and then pick one that has the features closest to what you want.
In the end, I think you'll find that you actually "need" very few features or light levels.

I would suggest taking a look at HDS for a pocket size light, and Malkoff for a mid-size pocket light or belt light. They aren't real strong in "bells and whistles", but they make very solid lighting instruments.

Last edited:

jbrett14

Enlightened
The new switch is excellent. My SC80 has virtually no chance of coming on accidentally in the pocket and tailcap lockout is completely unnecessary. As an EDC pocket flashlight its ergonomics and feel in the hand are quite a bit better than the SC51. The downside is it's also more expensive and noticeably larger.

I just checked out the ZL website and learned that this light is less than a mere 2 mm longer and larger in diameter than the SC51. This doesn't seem like very much, yet you said it was "noticeably larger". Do you have both lights? I am becoming more intrigued by the SC80, thanks to your comments.

I am thinking that since it's hardly much larger (on paper), and that it has the bonus of running on different batteries, and that it does not have to be locked out, that maybe this is the light I should have purchased, and that it very well could be MY "perfect" light.

Does anyone know if it puts out the same beam (brightness, spill, throw, etc.) as the SC51, which I think is "perfect" for general purpose.

jbrett14

Enlightened
CR123 is shorter than AA, so it is quite possible to find CR123 lights that are shorter than the SC51, although the SC51 is quite compact.

Whether you can find anything you like better or not, might be another matter.

To me, for a light to meet the basic qualification of "light", it needs to turn on. If it has run the battery dead in your pocket or backpack, and won't turn on because of a dead battery, it ain't much of a "light". At that point, nothing else matters.
Locking it out is making you do the "twist", even though you didn't want to.

What you seem to be describing here is common here on CPF. People buy "feature sets", not flashlights, even if they are forced to overlook design flaws at the most basic reliability level.
As if the only difference between lights is some differences in features.
In a word, they buy "toys". Which is fine, I guess.

If you want to buy a serious flashlight, put reliability, function, and quality first, and then pick one that has the features closest to what you want.
In the end, I think you'll find that you actually "need" very few features or light levels.

I would suggest taking a look at HDS for a pocket size light, and Malkoff for a mid-size pocket light or belt light. They aren't real strong in "bells and whistles", but they make very solid lighting instruments.

Excellent post, and understood. I totally agree. Personally, I would be fine with a light that had only ONE mode - HIGH. I rarely use those other modes as my primary purpose, no matter what I seem to be doing - camping, hiking, working on something, etc. - is to have LIGHT, and WHEN I need it. So I agree.

I just figured if ZL could perfect the switch on this light, that I would not only have all that you speak of (quality, reliabiliy, etc.), but a light that has the switch precisely where I want it, with easy one-handed operation. I could care less about the bells and whistles (20 blinking modes, 50 levels of brightness, etc.). I just want a nice beam of LIGHT, in a small package with a reliable switch that is ergonomically correct. If it doesn't exist, then perhaps a twisty it is. The reason I don't mind all the bells and whistles of the ZL is because you can bypass all of them with their easy-to-use switching.

I generally want HIGH and with ZL I can get HIGH with just one quick click, without having to cycle through all the nonsense. I don't need all those other modes, but they don't hinder my use on a ZL. With other brands, I have found them to be a hindrance (e.g. having to cycle through low settings to get to what I need - bright light, or failure to "memorize" my setting). I do like the JetBeam B series though (very simple with only 2 modes). I just think the BA10 might be a bit long for my intended use.

Thanks for taking the time to post. Excellent reminder.

windmill

Newly Enlightened
Really interesting arguments.

I'm one of those who love Zebralight for their great UI and built quality but will not overlook a design flaw that could make the light useless.

In fact I bought the SC600 instead. Different light, yes, but also different cost.

jbrett14

Enlightened
Really interesting arguments.

I'm one of those who love Zebralight for their great UI and built quality but will not overlook a design flaw that could make the light useless.

In fact I bought the SC600 instead. Different light, yes, but also different cost.

And how do you like the switch on it? Is it likely to accidentally turn on if in pocket or backpack?