FEELER: Titanium Alpha ICE Limited Edition (act now!)

archer6817j

Enlightened
Hi folks,

As the holiday season approaches I've been looking over some past requests. I think maybe it's time to bust out the Titanium Alpha ICE. What do you think?

Time is of the essence. These will be machined at Hirsch Machine, the same company that makes the ready made lights. Why? Volume. My equipment isn't set up for Ti and I'd like to make 50-100 lights. The catch is that I have to have a metal company custom make the tube used for the body of the light. Their minimum order is 200 feet and that comes out to about $30 a foot...so you do the math and keep in mind there is still the head and tailcap's worth of titanium to go.

With enough interest this feeler will turn into a pre-order. This is not the pre order. However, when that happens, I'll need each person to pony up about $200 each to reserve a light. Final cost should be around $500-$600. Please post here if you like the idea of a Ti Alpha ICE and/or if you'd be willing to put down a $200 deposit. I'll need deposits from a minimum of 30 people to pay for the cost of having custom tubing manufactured.

The Pre-Order will begin on Sept 1 and only last for 7 days. At that point I need to set things in motion because I'd like to start delivering lights before the end of the year. No promises, but that's the goal. Let the games begin :)

ICE-800.jpg

fyrstormer

Banned
Argh. Of course this comes to light *after* I place an order. Though to be honest, I'm only really interested if Shorty tubes are available, and it sounds like for the initial run that's a bit too much complexity. Perhaps next time?

apache blue

Newly Enlightened
Ti is definately a good idea and I'm sure the deposit wouldn't be a deal breaker for many here, however I'm just not a fan of the ice. I think the head is just too fussy compared to the simple sleek style of the basic alpha.
I second the above comments about the shorty body being a great idea. I may be biased though seeing as I did email you about a custom ti shorty lol.
Ps. If this goes ahead it might be an idea to have a few given the treatment by uk midnight/slippy slug in the style of you're ti clips

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wish it was in the budget right now! That would be incredible to have. I hope there is enough interest to get the project going.

-Alex

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
YES. Would like shorty tube as well. Would like ano, but would rather select color / style.

Actually instead of shorty tube, 2 lights, one shorty(18350), one regular.

Or what about a 18350 tube & 18350 extension for use with 18650?

From postings below I need to see what Sabre is. I would also like trit slots.... (& I know that is personal preference).

Last edited:

Raze

Enlightened
I am in for a Ti Alpha! I can deposit the amount.

But in my opinion, for the hefty price tag, why not offer the Alpha Sabre Ti?

Elakazam

Newly Enlightened
A 200$ deposit is no problem.
A shorty tube would be a nice add on.
A Alpha Sabre Ti would be great!
I´m very interested depending on the final design.

Karasu

Newly Enlightened
argghhh 1st is when first set of bill payments are due... And I would have been so ready for this... if it was set a couple months later x.x. Really wanna get a alpha series light soon... if only layaway or something was possible xD. Love your stuff Jason keep it up! You'll have a new customer soon as funds and savings accumulate a little ;).

OneBigDay

Enlightened
Since this is just a feeler thread and not pre-order, here is what could make me interested.

18350 body (either as "the" body, or as an optional lego component). If it were an add on and the whole package started to cost more than what you have projected above, you're also starting to get out of the price range I can justify. An 18350 only package would keep the cost down so I would vote for that first, and consider the overall price if it were an add on.

Option for non stone washed body. I know the stone washed look is popular and has it's functional benefits, but shiny for me please.

I do really like the design of the ICE head and titanium is an added draw I admit. I am hoping to buy one of your lights at some point, just haven't found exactly the right combo and timing yet :)

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
LOVE my alpha Blue. :kiss:

Intersted, I would like 5 trits around the TC too, but no worries, there are other folks who can do that after the fact. :)

archer6817j

Enlightened
Shorty tubes are a possibility but I'll have to run enough of them to justify changing the setup on the machine. There won't be any reduction in price. Shorty bodies will in fact cost more, but I'll try to prevent that as much as possible :) The reason is it requires a different program and setup on the machine, and the number of parts will be fewer. The difference in material cost is only marginal between a 3" tube and a 4" tube.

Also keep in mind, the Alpha is a fairly large light (more raw material) compared to most Ti customs out there...and the price will be equal to or less than some of those.

A "plain" alpha is also possible (not as "machined" as the ICE) so please comment if you are interested in that as well.

If you commented about a shorty before, can you please clarify if you want the shorty tube as an add-on to an 18650 or instead of the 18650?

So, any more interest in these? If you are on board, any chance you can spread the word somehow? I'll need a LOT more interest than what's been shown to start a pre-order. As I said, I'd like to do a limited run of 100 lights, the minimum to give you folks a reasonable price. I'll need to pre-sell at least 30 just to cover the cost of the material.

Right now it looks like "maybe" 8 people...I don't know that many people actually visit my sub-forum. This would probably have better exposure on the Custom/Mod BST thread but I don't think I'm allowed to post this there. I know the pre-order is supposed to start tomorrow, but I really don't want to take peoples money if we are going to be way short of the minimum. I'll give this a few more days.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Enrique did in the custom Ti B/S/T forum for his new run of Aeons, I think youre allowed, I would PM AreWeThereYetDad and ask..

He is the Lord of the Ti Custom BST. :devil:

Empire

Banned
Shorty tubes are a possibility but I'll have to run enough of them to justify changing the setup on the machine. There won't be any reduction in price. Shorty bodies will in fact cost more, but I'll try to prevent that as much as possible :) The reason is it requires a different program and setup on the machine, and the number of parts will be fewer. The difference in material cost is only marginal between a 3" tube and a 4" tube.

Also keep in mind, the Alpha is a fairly large light (more raw material) compared to most Ti customs out there...and the price will be equal to or less than some of those.

A "plain" alpha is also possible (not as "machined" as the ICE) so please comment if you are interested in that as well.

If you commented about a shorty before, can you please clarify if you want the shorty tube as an add-on to an 18650 or instead of the 18650?

So, any more interest in these? If you are on board, any chance you can spread the word somehow? I'll need a LOT more interest than what's been shown to start a pre-order. As I said, I'd like to do a limited run of 100 lights, the minimum to give you folks a reasonable price. I'll need to pre-sell at least 30 just to cover the cost of the material.

Right now it looks like "maybe" 8 people...I don't know that many people actually visit my sub-forum. This would probably have better exposure on the Custom/Mod BST thread but I don't think I'm allowed to post this there. I know the pre-order is supposed to start tomorrow, but I really don't want to take peoples money if we are going to be way short of the minimum. I'll give this a few more days.
ADD ON WITH 18650

OneBigDay

Enlightened
I just put down some real $ on a 1x26650 custom light that I have been looking at for a long time, so at the current moment this is a no go for me. However, don't get discouraged! I am still interested but just being realistic that I am not going to plunk down a few hundred bucks right now for this.

Personally I really like the machining on the "ICE" Alpha head. Nothing wrong with the smooth plain alpha head style, but the accent work on the ICE head sets it apart. As far as 18650/18350 tubes - I say at this price point, in for a penny in for a pound. I would be likely to buy both if the add on cost were reasonable (for example $75 additional for a shorty tube). If I had to do one or the other, I'd go 18350.