Best bulb replacement for HID on '05 e320 cdi?

opposite locker

Newly Enlightened
My folks' 2005 e320 cdi (with factory HID) has a weak (original with 180k miles of constant operation) bulb that could use replacement. The other bulb was replaced about a year ago so it's functioning just fine.

What would be the best replacement HID bulb for this vehicle? Stick with OE (just replacing one) or has an upgraded version of the original bulbs come out? Also, any recommendations on where to puchase for a fair price?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
If you replace just one, the headlamps won't match in inensity or color. It will be distracting for the driver and it'll look weird. Best to replace both. The car takes D2S bulbs. Do not buy any kind of a "high color temperature" bulb. Any of the three major brands (Philips, Osram, GE) would be fine, though I am partial by a slight margin to the GE D2S, which you can buy at a very nice price from a known-reliable vendor here.

opposite locker

Newly Enlightened
Wow, at that price I'll definitely replace both and keep the good bulb as a spare. May I ask why you prefer the GE over either of the Philips bulbs (85122 & 85122+)?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I haven't done precise measurements, but I've looked with a fair amount of interest and have not seen a real benefit/difference in the "+" bulbs versus the regular ones.

I like the GE burner a little better because its arc stability and consistency of placement seems a bit better in my observation. With any mass-produced commodity product, sometimes a particular company really nails it and puts out a super-good product...I think this is one of those.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you replace just one, the headlamps won't match in inensity or color. It will be distracting for the driver and it'll look weird. Best to replace both. The car takes D2S bulbs. Do not buy any kind of a "high color temperature" bulb. Any of the three major brands (Philips, Osram, GE) would be fine, though I am partial by a slight margin to the GE D2S, which you can buy at a very nice price from a known-reliable vendor here.

Scheinwerfermann. I know this is off topic, but thanks for that link. I needed some new D2R bulbs for my car and have been meaning to get some. I ordered from your recommended site, and in 15 minutes, I received a shipping confirmation. It'll be here by Friday. :)