Uniqe Titanium
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hurricane Isaac and Flashlights

Default Re: Hurricane Isaac and Flashlights

UPDATE:

Me, my family, extended family and inlaws have come out almost completely unscathed. The Lord was really watching over us. Thanks to Him!! I also want to thank all of you cpf'ers for your kind words and support. Just got my cable and internet turned on today and my power was back on this past Thursday. My parents, who live across the highway from me still don't have power. I hope and pray they will have it back very soon. Most of my flashlights are scattered right now, but that is all right by me. They are helping my family. I used a 3D incandescent Maglite for the whole ordeal, with it only dimming slightly. I was running it on Duracell Procell Industrial batteries; damn they have a great energy density! I gave my dad my 2C cell Maglite, with the OEM LED retrofit. During the power outage, I had blew my last bulb on my favorite Mini Maglite. Today I bought 4 replacement (Xenon) bulbs. 2 for my personal EDC and 2 for my Camo backup. I had loaded my EDC with the new bulbs earlier today. Now later on in the day, I was sitting on the bed, unpacking the other 2 bi pins for my backup Camo. I had slit the blister packaging open with my SAK. My hands were shaking and the bulbs flew out. I was beside myself. I began searching all around the bed and floor for them. I removed mattress and box spring. Upon impact of me dropping the box spring, one of the bulbs fell out of my hair (haven't been able to get a haircut in a while.) Then I searched around the bed and after some cussing and saying "Why Lord" I located the other bulb. Immediately I loaded them into my camo Mini Maglite and fixed back the bed. Thought all of you would appreciate that story. Spent the last few nights sitting around and talking with the family by the light of a Mini Maglite LED in candle mode. I also used my 3D Maglite to navigate around a halfway lit grocery store to purchase some Little Debbies, among other dry goods. At around 5 AM on the 29th the storm was making landfall and the angry howling winds were at their worst. The lack of the fan blowing woke me up and I realized the current was off, immediately I grabbed my 3D Maglite (which was right next to me) and walked outside. I stayed on the carport and watched the trees and their branches saying back and forth. I thought to stand in the driveway, but I was too chicken. The eye stayed over us for hours and I got dozens of weather alerts on my phone until the service became intermittent. I am sure other interesting events took place, but I am getting tired and cannot think of them right now. Hope I haven't bored anyone too much.
    "When egrets take flight, foul weather in sight."

Flashaholic

Thanks for the update ericjohn. I am glad your family made it through ok. Keep us posted.

Flashaholic

Thats great new ericjohn!
    Everything is back to normal here, got power back Friday evening. I let my wife use my Titan T1A and when she gave it back I would only come on in high mode, no low modes at all. Tried another battery and that was it. I asked her if it ever flickered real fast and she said yes, I told her that's the battery indicator letting her know it need a fresh cell.

Again I appreciate the kind words and thoughts from all of you. I have AT&T Go Phone service for my phone and for a while (until 6 days ago) my phone service was very intermittent. I had to stand outside to send a text or make a call and then it still didn't always work. When all was back to normal I called tech support and they credited me $5. I purchased a 50 MB data package with that extra credit. Nice to be able to check my email, read the news and get weather radar/sattelite images without having to be in range of WiFi. The internet at my house (Charter) is back to normal, but my parents' house internet (also Charter) has been intermittent. A technician is coming to their house Tuesday. Gave my dad my 2C Maglite with Maglite LED retrofit, which I hope keeps and uses. I carried my 3D Maglite incandescent throughout the whole event not just for lighting but also protection. Another funny story; my barbecue pit (cheap, flimsy, chinese picece of garbage) had been standing near my front door throughout the whole storm and didn't move an inch. During the height of the storm, the only link to the outside world was WWL Radio and KIH23 (Morgan City NOAA Station) on a pocket radio and my Weather Cube. At one point the weather station was knocked out. Everything is almost back to normal here, except for intermittent cable/internet and tree limbs along with trash on the side of the road. Bought some more AA's and 2 6V lantern batteries for my Garrity Fisherman's Lanterns (G-Tech.) Thanks again everyone, hope to share more flashlight experiences with yall for years to come.

Thanks for all the info,glad you got through it ok.

I'm glad you came out safe and not much was damaged.

Now, time to get a LED drop-in for the incan mag . Niteize has a PR bulb LED drop-in, but I'm not sure how bright it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner12 View Post
    I'm glad you came out safe and not much was damaged.

Now, time to get a LED drop-in for the incan mag . Niteize has a PR bulb LED drop-in, but I'm not sure how bright it is.
    I've got one of those that I use in a 2C Mag. It's brighter than I thought, maybe 20 to 30 lumens or so? Plenty enough for around the house use during an outage, and it will run a loooong time, even more so if you put in a 3D cell light! Mine even has a pure white tint, but YMMV.

They're dirt cheap, so get a couple while they're still being made. The part I like is that they can go into ANY light that takes a PR bulb, so that gives you lots of options.

The Niteize ones can do well in the 6v lanterns too, IIRC those use PR bulbs too right? Maybe a high power drop-in, like a malkoff, for the Maglite for times when you need lots of output.

@ Gunner:

yes the three 6V lanterns I use all take PR bulbs and all of the 6V lanterns I ever used took PR bulbs. My paw paw has always used that specific type of flashlight and everyone of them too had PR bulbs. I seriously think that PR LED drop ins should be more readily available, to power up an old flashlight...i firmly believe also that incandesent PR bulbs be used for as long as humanly possible. they provide a robust backup system in the event of electronic failure.

I hope norm doesn't mind, but here's the Niteize 2-6 cell PR bulb. I've seen them at down to $5 each so they could be a good option for almost all lights. Maybe you can grab one and see if you like it.

I don't have one myself, but I did take a 0.5w warm white LED and hook it up to a maglite reflector (probably similar output to the Niteize in output). It gives enough output for around the house and short-medium range out doors and should give lots of runtime. I left mine for over 8 hours on 2 partially used D cells and it's still going strong.

Flashaholic*

Au Re: Hurricane Isaac and Flashlights

Quote Originally Posted by ericjohn View Post
    Well in the next few hours my area will be battered by Hurricane Isaac. There will probably be a loss of power. I have my stash of flashlights ready to go and I am staying at my parents' house because I don't feel safe in mine. I brought my flashlights there for them to use, but I am keeping my favorite ones in my EDC bag. Actucally looking forward to a power outage, since it will give me an excuse to use my flashlights, lol. Is anyone else in my area and preparing to do the same thing? P.S. If I don't respond for a while, it is because there is no electricity and therefore no WiFi.
    I had my radio set to WWL/570AM during the whole thing. How did you make out and well did your hardware take it?
    chiphead

Aside from burning a bulb or two and running down lots of batteries, my power fleet won an Academy Award for preformance. WWL was on the whole time. I was listening to it on a pocket sized Sangean PLL tuned radio, which worked pretty good. I made out fine. It was as if I fell into a pile of fertilizer but came out smelling like a rose bush.

Might I recommend a solar option for your power needs? I have an issue stocking alkies, cause it never turns out good. So, I stock a decent supply of lithiums, but I also have a decent stock of dura loops and other RC's I can charge up before disaster strikes. As for the mite-ize drop ins, the 10mmm, if you can find them, are best due to there long runtime/low power requirements. If you need a little more throw, then get the 1-watt. Short of a search and rescue mission, there's nothing I can't do with the 10mm drop-in...and I get 4 times the runtime.

I had been looking at the Energizer Solar lights. I know, what a hypocrite I am, as they are made in china. http://www.energizer.com/lighting-pr...s/default.aspx I also like the Preparedness Line, which has dynamo power. http://www.energizer.com/lighting-pr...ner-crank.aspx and http://www.energizer.com/lighting-pr...dio-crank.aspx Energizer and Garrity are the two chinese lights that I am ALMOST alright with purchasing.