Eyeglass coating

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello guys,

Anyone know a good eyeglass coating that I can apply on my eyeglasses to prevent film/smudge/dust? I tend to accident bump my glasses with my hands and leave an oily film or smudge and it's hard to clean it sometime w/o making the smudge worst.

I remembered seeing a commerical of a lense call "Crystal or Cristal???" that doesn't get smudge or dust on it easily. I doubt I can afford that, so I am going to the next best thing; if possible.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Empath

Flashaholic
The lenses are called Crizal.

I don't know anything of them, other than what I've seen advertised on TV, and the above website.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same problem. When I buy plastic lens glasses I always ask for the hard coating. It really keeps the scratches down to a minimum. But, smudges? Not so much. I keep a microfiber cloth in the car, near my computer, in the kitchen, etc. That makes it easy to clean. No miracles here.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take the opposite approach. I clean my glasses every morning, with just warm water to rinse off the particles, and then a little Ivory soap to remove the grease & goo. Dry with a clean soft towel. After 5 years of this, my untreated plastic lenses are fine.

For my sport sunglasses with assorted front lenses, I use plastic polish to get rid of fine scratches. The polish that I have is sold for motorcycle fairings, but is similar to stuff I've seen used for other applications. It works quite well and the lenses look as perfect as when new. I certainly don't have any trouble with glare, distortion, etc.

Steve K.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys for the inputs. I'll try the warm water and Ivory soap and see does it at lease help alittle.

Empath, that's the commercial I was talking about! If it's really true and not marketing; I'll get that coating in a heartbeat. Anyone has that coating on their glasses?

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Thanks guys for the inputs. I'll try the warm water and Ivory soap and see does it at lease help alittle.

Empath, that's the commercial I was talking about! If it's really true and not marketing; I'll get that coating in a heartbeat. Anyone has that coating on their glasses?
That would be me. I will not get lenses other than Crizal lenses. My lenses are not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, so the incremental cost isn't that much, but getting lenses without the anti-glare coating is a non-starter for me. I have Crizal now (and have for the past several years), and see no reason to get a different one.

Note: depending on your prescription, you may see less benefit than I do from the anti-glare coating. However, it does also protect against smudges, scratches, and the like. All that being said, starting the day with a dousing in hot water and just a touch of Ivory liquid is ALWAYS a good idea, and so is keeping a micro-fiber cloth handy. Although, in a pinch, a quick touch-up with your tongue and a t-shirt will do.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never buy the lens coating for very reason of this topic.

I keep my lenses clean by the same method others have listed above. :cool:

Norm

Retired Administrator
I take the opposite approach. I clean my glasses every morning, with just warm water to rinse off the particles, and then a little Ivory soap to remove the grease & goo. Dry with a clean soft towel. After 5 years of this, my untreated plastic lenses are fine.

For my sport sunglasses with assorted front lenses, I use plastic polish to get rid of fine scratches. The polish that I have is sold for motorcycle fairings, but is similar to stuff I've seen used for other applications. It works quite well and the lenses look as perfect as when new. I certainly don't have any trouble with glare, distortion, etc.

Steve K.
I do exactly the same Steve, I have lens implants so my script does not change, my current glasses are eight years old and don't have any scratches.

Norm

Last edited:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
for those of you living in the desert, rinsing the lenses under water before wiping them with a cloth is important. If there is any abrasive dust stuck to the lens, then wiping with any cloth will just drag that abrasive material across the lens. Very nasty stuff!

Having lived in Arizona for 3 years, my recollection is that there was more sandy dust on my glasses than what I see now in the Midwest. Heck, I recall getting enough sand in my mouth that I could feel it grind between my teeth! I don't miss that at all. :)

Steve K.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note: depending on your prescription, you may see less benefit than I do from the anti-glare coating.

I thought anti-glare coating let you see night lights (street lights and car headlights) without seeing double or halo.

Also, I was told Crizal is a coating that can added when you purchase your glasses, not the lense itself... Am I mis-informed?

Last edited:

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought anti-glare coating let you see night lights (street lights and car headlights) without seeing double or halo.
It reduces glare, period, regardless of the source. For me, this is reason enough to get the Crizal coating (it's the best anti-glare coating I've tried), even if it had none of the other properties. If you have night-vision problems (double-vision or halo) without glasses, though, I don't know that anything in front of your eyes would change that-- but I'm not an optician, an optometrist, an ophthalmologist, or a physicist specializing in optics; I'm just a guy who's worn awfully strong glasses for a bunch of years.

Also, I was told Crizal is a coating that can added when you purchase your glasses, not the lense itself... Am I mis-informed?
Nope... "Crizal lenses" is a marketing term. "For an increasingly transparent lens experience, Essilor has developed the Crizal lens treatments range. Crizal coatings ensure perfectly clear vision by attacking its eyeglasses 5 worst enemies:" Notice it says "Crizal lens treatments" there.

Again, for me, the big benefit to the Crizal coating is the anti-glare effect. Yes, the scratch protection is nice, I suppose, but, as others have mentioned, starting the day with clean lenses and using the "tongue-and-t-shirt" method (or microfiber cloth, as the years passed, and those became readily available) as touch-up throughout the day has served me very well for avoiding those. My eyes are sensitive to glare to begin with, and my prescription tends to amplify glare. Long ago, when the anti-glare coating first became readily available, I tried it, and liked it. The next time I needed glasses, I was feeling the budget pinch, and opted not to get the coating again. "Big mistake. Big. HUGE!" I will not get another set of lenses without anti-glare coating... ever. Right now, Crizal seems to be the best one out there, and I have no desire to try anything different, because I know how well this works for me.

So, for you guys who are saying you never get lens coatings because you keep your glasses clean and scratch-free some other way... well, bully for you, but in my mind, you're missing the point. The REAL benefit to this coating has nothing to do with scratches and/or smudges.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
So if I get Crizal treatment on my glasses, I don't need to add anti-glare because Crizal treatment has scratch protection and anti-glare, is that correct?

I was told Crizal treatment reduces smudge left by finger prints or anything oily and small particules sticking to the lense. I wasn't informed that it also has anti-glare.

If I were to get a new glasses today, they will ask if I want anti-glare (extra) and if I want the extra scratch protection Crizal treatment, it costs extra again.

Last edited:

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
So if I get Crizal treatment on my glasses, I don't need to add anti-glare because Crizal treatment has scratch protection and anti-glare, is that correct?I was told Crizal treatment reduces smudge left by finger prints or anything oily and small particules sticking to the lense. I wasn't informed that it also has anti-glare.If I were to get a new glasses today, they will ask if I want anti-glare (extra) and if I want the extra scratch protection Crizal treatment, it costs extra again.
If you have enough money for one, which would you get:Anit-glare or Anti-reflective?
They're one and the same. Go look at the "night driving" section on the Crizal website (http://www.crizal.com/EN/CRIZAL-LENSES-SUPERIORITY/WEARERS-PERCEPTION/Pages/Night-Driving.aspx). If your eyeglass professional is trying to tell you they're different, then, with all due respect, I suggest you either ask them some very pointed questions and see how they answer them, or perhaps it might be time to find a different person to help you get glasses.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had worked with both Frame manufacturers/distributors and Lens manufacturers/distributors in the past. They were customers of the business I worked for. This is one area it might pay to shop around before you get frames and lenses. There can be a tremendous difference in price from store to store. The markup can be anywhere for 250% to over 1000%.

This can be somewhat difficult in that the exam is usually done in the store where they sell glasses. They usually will not give you the prescription for your lenses. Or if they do, they will not specify the Pupil Distance ( PD ), so the script is incomplete.

If you can, go to an Ophthalmologist for a complete eye exam. This is a Medical Doctor whose practice is limited to eyes and eye disease. They will write a complete prescription for glasses. This gives you the ability to shop around.

Most stores have an Optometrist who does the eye exam. This is not an M.D. but a a person who has a doctorate.

I guess that you would be able to shop around even with out a prescription just by asking for prices for the lenses and frames. Some places will tell you they can not give a price unless they know the prescription of the lenses.

good luck

By the way, I use soap and water to clean my glasses, rinse them in cold water, then dry with a soft cloth. Don't use a cloth that has fabric softener added to the laundry rinse, it can leave a residue. Also - stay away from paper towels. The fibers in the paper towel are harder than those in cloth. There is the possibility that a paper towel can leave very fine scratches.

Last edited:

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're one and the same.

I thought anti-reflective is when someone look at you, they'll see your eyes instead of the reflection of your surrounding. Or when you look at the corner of your glass, you won't see the reflection what's behind you.

And Anti-glare is reduce the glare from street light and on-coming car lights. Without anti-glare; when looking at a street light, instead of seeing a solid light, you'll see something like the sun.

2011220171024105.jpg

Last edited: