Aurora activity is high

Stefan

Enlightened
The last few days there have been incredible northern lights. A highly intensive storm is happening right now, and it looks like its going to stay active for a while now. If you are lucky enough to have clear skies, and look up around midnight, you might see something like this:
Reed3_strip.jpg

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
sweet!
i remember seeing it alot last winter..

i made alotta ppl look and it turned out it was the first time they'd seen it!

i was shocked.. they're realy amazing.

thanks for the heads-up..

-Ryan

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Dang it!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

I was still up when these happened, I should have gone outside! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

It seems everytime I have the chance to see this, I miss it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
It's been cloudy at night here...the last time I really got to see the Aurora Borealis was when I lived in Alaska. And none of those red ones - just the green and white curtain-like displays.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
well i just got back from watching!
i watched from about 1:30AM until 2:00AM..

i started out with the first high point that came to mind..

it was beautiful! the whole sky seemed to ripple in some very eye-catching patterns.. it was almost like water.. but with the patterns it followed it seemed to give me an eerie sense of just how fast this planet is spinning..

but there were a few homes and streetlights, so i went to find another spot after about 10 minutes..

i went to the school farm.. it's alot of acres.. and no light at all..

i laid right ontop of my car to watch this time, and really take it in..

i noticed the same rippling patterns as b4, only now i could see that it truly covered the length of the entire horizon.. it was more prominent towards the right.. towards the left there are suburbs.. to the right leads you into the woods.. so i decided to focus all my attention towards the right..

the colors seemed to mesh in very light greens to almost white colors.. and in some places it seemed like someone had vertically shaded the auroras into the sky with a pencil..

it was really beautiful, and it made me wish i had a camera.. i'm thinking about going back tomorrow night with some binoculars to get a better look at the patterns i observed tonight..

anyways.. really nice.. definitely worth staying up to watch! thanks for letting me know Stefan.

-Ryan

Edit: almost forgot to mention i also saw a shooting star! right thru the green color of the auroras too! it was sweet.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cloudly just now, but it seems to have been unusually active pretty much all year this year (Not like that, but even over the summer, I'd swear that I'd seen noticable "streamers" of light going the right direction. If the rain stops and the cloud clears, I'll go take a look.

silvercloud

Newly Enlightened
How much longer will the Aurora activity last? About three years ago I thought I was looking a faint pink clouds an turned out to be an Aurora. It would get fairly bright an then vanish, then it would be back. The neighbors thought I was nuts but then saw it for themselves.

cannon50

Newly Enlightened
I hope to see the northern lights again. Only seen them once but was very impressed with the greens and pinks. By the way I live a few miles from the gulf coast south of Mobile Alabama so it really is a rare sight for us.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
too cloudy tonight.. got a lil rain while i was waiting for the clouds to break. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif
so i guess i can't verify whether or not they've stopped.