B&M Luxos

Lucky LIX

Newly Enlightened
Didn't notice the news here yet, so:
Busch & Müller have presented their new dynamo powered front light at Eurobike and posted some more info on their website, including a beam shot and picture of the lamp:

179_Tunnelbild.jpg

Quite an improvement compared to their Cyo R beam shot:
f5f50bdf31.jpg

179E_am_Rad.jpg

At first sight, it looks like it might be nicer than the SON Edelux and Philips Safe Ride? Especially thanks to the wide beam which I miss in tight corners with my Cyo R.
It also sports a USB power supply, flood light and a handle bar remote control (they are exaggerating imo).

ttoshi

Newly Enlightened
I like the increased width in the beam. That is my main problem with the IQ cyo, because I lose illumination on the curves. The beam looks quite blue in the picture you posted...

I will probably get one unless Philips comes out with their next generation saferide.

Toshi

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at the Rose Versand site.. am I correct in thinking that there are some small LEDs (5mm?) that are used to get the wide beam spread near the bike? The business about USB charging is interesting too... I wonder how it handles the power sharing between the headlight and the USB device being charged?

The price of 179 Euros seems a bit steep to me. The simpler version at 119 Euros is a bit better, but still a bit pricey. It's probably worth it, but I'm starting to really appreciate the inexpensive nature of my homemade light (as long as we aren't counting the many, many hours of labor expended).

GRAVELBIKE

Newly Enlightened
The price of 179 Euros seems a bit steep to me. The simpler version at 119 Euros is a bit better, but still a bit pricey. It's probably worth it, but I'm starting to really appreciate the inexpensive nature of my homemade light (as long as we aren't counting the many, many hours of labor expended).

Hopefully the 119 Euro price includes VAT. Still, $150 USD does seem a bit steep.

On a semi-related note, I just returned an IQ Cyo because it kept switching between normal brightness and standlight brightess--even when riding at the proper speed for full power.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can't argue with that, but the E-Werk always seems a bit pricey too. If they only sold a small number of them, then it makes sense that they would have to charge a lot to recover their expenses for the design and tooling. It would be interesting to know how many of these were purchased...

swhs

Newly Enlightened
Standard version was on sale last week at €79 inc VAT
http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1004/a81183/lumotec-luxos-b-led-headlight.html

out of stock again now tho'

In germany there is a big problem of bicycle components being sold by supposed retailers which are in effect wholesale buyers. This means bike shops cannot sell at the prices bike-discount sells as their price to buy from the distributor is already, when adding VAT, the same as the price for which e.g. bike-discount sells. So there's no point for any bikeshop or internet seller who buys via a distributor, to sell the Luxos B at 79 euro, the profit would be 0.

Either smaller bike shops should also get access to direct buying, at least when buying a large number of same items (say 20 headlamps or more), or there should be more competition between distributors, which there is not really, or manufacturers when selling to those who sell direct to endusers should set a minimum sale value based on distributor margins. This can be problematical due to the fact that setting a minimum sale price is illegal, but on the other hand, now there is unfair competition...

Last edited:

mechBgon

Enlightened
Any update on Luxos availability?

The B version is available at a couple of the aforementioned sources now. I ordered a Luxos B from roseversand... I was going to pre-order one from Peter White Cycles, but if they won't answer their email when I want to fling money at them...? All rightie then, I'll send my money to Germany.

I use the 60-lux Cyo, so for me, the relevant comparision shots are:

0adbb1199c.jpg

179_Tunnelbild.jpg

The extra beam width will be somewhat useful in corners or for a better chance of spotting deer before they cross the road. But from my past experience with floody lights on bikes, it's possible to have too much of a good thing. If there's excessive light in the nearfield, it inhibits seeing what's farther down the road. So I may end up using both the Luxos and the Cyo in parallel, to maintain more of a thrower bias.

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for the Luxos to get here from Germany.

mechBgon

Enlightened
It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for the Luxos to get here from Germany.
My Luxos B arrived today. It's quite large compared to my Cyo. First ride impressions weren't worth much since the road was soaking wet and even my DiNotte 1200+ couldn't make its beam show worth a darn.

ttoshi

Newly Enlightened
Here's my review of the Luxos B:

A couple of notes on the installation of the Luxos B dynamo light:

1. The light is much bigger than the Cyo light.
2. The bracket must angle upwards. You can no longer mount the light with the bracket angling downwards because the light cannot swivel to the proper orientation.

Because I could not mount the light downwards, I needed to add a bunch of washers/spacers to the front of my Mark's rack to have the light clear my Acorn mini-rando bag.

--An immediate difference at start: gone is the dark spot in front of the light. The light spits out a U of light with the bottom of the U starting on the ground right in front of you, so you don't have to worry about getting a nearfield light and losing out on distance.

The light output is quite ingenious--I think. The way you align the light is to have the light hit the ground about 30 feet in front of you. What this does is put a big hotspot on the ground a little over a lane wide in front of you. This gives you clear vision of any obstacles in front of you, but there is still decent light within the U which spreads out from the bike to the hotspot. In addition the width of the light much wider than the Cyo--most of the 2 lane road. Don't throw the hotspot into the horizon, put it on the ground--it will improve the ride visibility immensely and you won't blind the traffic.

The color of the light did not look too blue. Without direct comparison to the Cyo, it looked pretty similar to me.

The downside of the light could be that the only area that is as bright as the Cyo is in that hotspot I mentioned earlier. The rest of the illumination is less, so it is much easier to get distracted by street lights. If you do mostly city riding, then you probably don't need or maybe wouldn't want this light.

For me, yes, I wish that whole area within the U was as bright as the hotspot is, but for lighting what is most essential for safe and enjoyable riding, the Luxos does a great job, and it is a big improvement over the Cyo for me.

Toshi in Oakland, CA

ttoshi

Newly Enlightened
No there is a big hotspot 30 feet down the road, you can see it in MechBgon's picture a little bit. You don't have nearfield blindness that's for sure.

Last edited:

ttoshi

Newly Enlightened
Duplicate post--sorry how to delete?

Last edited:

Marcturus

Enlightened
found a video on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl4t0FaMA3M&
Some very dark areas outside of the main beam, I hope it's mostly the cam's fault. And it looks like he might have aimed the Edelux a bit lower than the Luxos. That small Luxos hotspot and the surrounding, Lyt-like "mattress-shape" do look distractive, I'd prefer to find the hotspot substantially farther away than just 30 ft down the road.