Questions regarding maglites

BakedxPotato

Newly Enlightened
To start it out I'm new to CPF so be kind if this post has already been posted and I missed it

I was wondering if there is a difference in the bulbs used in the new maglite incandescent lights compared to older models I currently own a maglite 2d from about 1989 and I want to buy a maglite 6d and a mini mag incandescent versions and I noticed that on some websites like homedepot lists it as a white star krypton bulb is there a significant difference between that and the older bulbs? And on other websites like amazon it just says they have krypton gas bulbs. So I guess all I want to know is what the differences are and if the bulb still gives off the familiar yellow tint.

Any answers will be nice
Thanks,

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off, :welcome:

The White Star Krypton bulb is, I believe, the standard MagLite incandescent bulb. As far as I can tell, it's the same bulb that was the same bulb installed in MagLites from the early days. The MagnumStar Xenon bulbs are the higher output versions. Yes, they all put out that familiar yellow light, though the Xenon bulb is less so, if my memory is correct.

The worst thing about the incandescent bulbs is that even the lowly MagLED drop-in, producing about 100 lumens, will put the Xenon bulb to shame as far as output is concerned and will easily stretch the run time by about three times what you get from the Krypton bulb. Yes, it will fit your old 2D, I've had one in mine and it was great!

allan d

Newly Enlightened
The older C and D Maglights used the PR style bulbs. The latest ones use a proprietary bi-pin bulb. Like a larger version of the mini-mag bulb. The new bulbs also come with an adapter for use in older flashlights.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
while I dont understand why anyone now wants to buy any ot the lights mentionned ...
:rolleyes:

the original PR bulbs are not good and the MagStar bulbs are "only" expensive but ...
do Yourself some favour and try to get something like a Philips Krypton bulb for that socket (or some comparable maker)
cheaper and brighter than MagStar and whiter light output

BakedxPotato

Newly Enlightened
First off, :welcome:

The White Star Krypton bulb is, I believe, the standard MagLite incandescent bulb. As far as I can tell, it's the same bulb that was the same bulb installed in MagLites from the early days. The MagnumStar Xenon bulbs are the higher output versions. Yes, they all put out that familiar yellow light, though the Xenon bulb is less so, if my memory is correct.

The worst thing about the incandescent bulbs is that even the lowly MagLED drop-in, producing about 100 lumens, will put the Xenon bulb to shame as far as output is concerned and will easily stretch the run time by about three times what you get from the Krypton bulb. Yes, it will fit your old 2D, I've had one in mine and it was great!

Thank you for the quick response you answered exactly what I wanted to know and was the best awnser.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
It has been a little while since I hae used my Maglights, but I thought when I put in a Halogen bulb, the beam was whiter and brighter. The Halogen bulbs have that barrel shaped glass and not traditional oval shape.

peterkin101

Newly Enlightened
It has been a little while since I hae used my Maglights, but I thought when I put in a Halogen bulb, the beam was whiter and brighter. The Halogen bulbs have that barrel shaped glass and not traditional oval shape.

The MagNum Star bulb changed and IMHO was a retrograde step.

Original MagNum Star bulbs were cylindrical and had a lens at the top,they were about 20-30% brighter than the standard White Star bulb.

Newer versions have done away with the cylindrical design and lens though they tend to be brighter still.

But the beam is now like a standard bulb rather than the much more circular bean produced by the earlier design.

In all honesty I can see Mag Instruments dropping the Incandescent option altogether and the newer designs using high performance LED's eg the Maglite 2D Pro will show the way here.

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
Just purchased a 6D Maglite, don't know why but new for 32.00 shipped, why not, love aluminum machined products and figured I'd grab one while they still make them. My last experience with my 2D Mag was leaking Alkalines, I couldn't remove the head or tail cap so I sent it to Maglite because it was an old one and thinking maybe they'd get it open and I could salvage it (not knowing any better) and they just sent me a brand new one, wasn't expecting that, certainly great customer service. Well, I've never used it and it's still in the box. I then found CR123's lights going for more modern and have never looked back. Gave my brother and my son a couple of Nitecore D10's for Xmas, told them both not to use Alkalines and sure as sh*t, both were soon done in by leaking alkalines. Now, I never have but just started looking at lithium D's in anticipation of my new 6D monster and I'm seeing 14.50 a piece and finally found some for about 7.20, I was hoping not to get into re-chargeables so I guess that's my only choice? Anyone else taking that same route? :wave:

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
My last experience with my 2D Mag was leaking Alkalines, I couldn't remove the head or tail cap so I sent it to Maglite because it was an old one and thinking maybe they'd get it open and I could salvage it (not knowing any better) and they just sent me a brand new one, wasn't expecting that, certainly great customer service.
Maglite has an agreement with Duracell, Energizer, and Rayovac, whereby if you return a Maglite that has been damaged by these batteries, Maglite will either repair or replace said light at their discretion. The batteries must be returned with the light to Maglite.

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
When the Mag-Lite 2D Pro is released, I wonder if Mag will make the LED "bulb" available for older models. I have the regular 2D LED, which honestly isn't that bright compared to recent lights.