Lenslight

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all
I was thinking of maybe getting one and just wanted some input from anyone owning a lenslight for pros and cons. I see they have better clips now too. Also 9200 lux doesn't seem that bright compared to other aspheric throwers (I suppose it has a small lens) but from beam shots I've seen on YouTube it doesn't seem as ringy as most are.
One light I am getting is this one to try http://www.wolf-eyes.com/product/Tac Raptor.html Maybe compete with omg's aspherics? ;)

Norm

Retired Administrator
I found this post very helpful, to me when I was trying to make up my mind about Lenslight,

I have a lenslight mini and a LED lenser P5. They definitely aren't the same in mechanism.

Lenslight mini: high-CRI XPG. Lens system appears to be a conventional aspheric lens. No reflector or backplate... the entire star is visible. Half the lumens are lost inside the bezel when the light is cycled to spot mode. Output has no visible rings in any focusing setting. Very large and heavy for what it does... it's as heavy as my SC600 even though the lenslight runs on 1xCR123. Feels durable with heavy thick sidewalls. Does not tailstand, 2 brightness settings, no tailcap lockout. Forward clicky could easily turn on accidentally in pocket. Twist zoom mechanism deposits grease onto the telescoped portion of the light when zoomed to spot mode. This grease is unfortunately right where my hand to tends to land. Wiping it away doesn't help because each time the light is cycled, a fresh layer of grease is deposited.

LED Lenser P5: Cool white Cree emitter (not sure what kind. Maybe an XRE). Unique focusing system consisting of an engineered plastic lens that wraps around the LED. LED is not mounted on a conventional star. Instead the LED sits on a post that protrudes into the pocket in the lens. Total lumen output remains virtually constant regardless of whether the light is cycled in zoom or spot mount. Compared to the lenslight, the LED lenser feels very flimsy and cheaply built. Single mode direct drive with no driver. Not waterproof.

Of the 2, I actually think the Lenser P5 is a better light for what it does. The lenslight is too big and heavy, is not suitable for pocket EDC due to lack of tailcap lockout, has a really awful plastic clip, and makes a mess with its grease deposits whenever the zoom mechanism is cycled.

There are LOTS of inexpensive budget lights with aspheric zoom optics. The most popular of which is probably the Sipik SK68 and related clones. There aren't many high-end brands with zoomable optics: LED lenser, lenslight and Wolf Eyes are the only brands I can think of.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
None of my lenslights have ever leaked any sort of grease anywhere.
Never heard of that before either lol

Mine clearly arrived with too much grease below the o-ring, so every time the zoom mechanism is cycled fresh grease is pushed in front of it and deposited into the telescoping part, so the next time you extend the zoom your fingers get covered in grease. I had a similar issue with a $20 budget zoom light that I modded by adding extra grease, but the lenslight is the only time I've ever seen a zoom light come from the factory with too much grease.

This problem could be fixed by removing the rotating bezel and wiping up the excess grease below the o-ring. But removing the bezel does not look easy to do on my lenslight mini so I haven't tried. Frankly, I'm pretty disappointed in my lenslight mini. For a light that costs $160, I expected better quality. Even if the grease issue were fixed, I don't consider it suitable for EDC: It cannot be pocket-carried due to the protruding rubber button and lack of tailcap lockout. It only has 2 modes, and drops to 1 mode when run on 16340. It's not very bright and doesn't throw that well. It's very large and heavy. And it has the worst pocket clip I've ever seen on any light. Lenslight really should've ditched the Delrin clip in favor of a stainless steel or titanium clip. The Delrin clip is awful.

Last edited:

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the Tac Raptor yesterday, Quite impressive beam for its size IMO - Its driven well as it gets warm after five min and gives a higher lux reading @ 2 meters than my dedomed DD S12 on kingkong/trustfire batteries (S12 puts out 1500 lumens) also my S12 out throws/lux'es my 2 other XML DD lights - The button to change the throw to flood is by far the best mechanism I have seen on any zoomie and is waterproof.

So I'm wondering if an XM-L DD pill in a Dereelight night master would be even better for throw.....:rolleyes:

Z-Tab

Enlightened
They aren't for everyone, and it seems Fireclaw really wasn't happy with his, but I think they are very cool lights with build quality to match the best stuff out there. I've owned a few and I plan to keep an older Ti version with a 20 Lumen low (as opposed to the current 5), as 20 Lumens is enough for most of my general use. Of the three that I've owned, I've seen zero grease issues and have never had any accidental activation problems (the tailcap design shrouds the button almost completely).

I would like to see them go to three levels, since the gap from low to high is bigger than necessary, but if you want to get light on something specific (or a pure flood) then they do the job exceptionally well. The clip is pretty odd, but it does the job and is supposedly less prone to problems than a metal clip (admittedly, I'm not sure what that would include besides bending out of shape).

I also think that they're not so much about being the brightest aspherics as they are about getting light precisely where you want it. They were designed by Chapman/Leonard, which is one of the most significant companies in the film industry, and I feel that they reflect that in being great general tools for photography, but nowhere near the performance of most pure aspherics.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
...The clip is pretty odd, but it does the job and is supposedly less prone to problems than a metal clip (admittedly, I'm not sure what that would include besides bending out of shape).

The Lenslight marketing hype is that the Delrin clip is less prone to problems than a metal clip. That's their selling point for it on their website. But having actually played around with it, I've concluded the clip is absolutely awful for my needs. The Delrin clip has the following disadvantages:

1. It's much thicker and bulkier than a metal clip. Very noticeable if you have the light in your pocket.
2. The inside of the clip is actually quite small. It wouldn't clip to my relatively thin leather belt. My guess is it will only clip to the thinnest of belts or perhaps thin nylon straps.
3. The Delrin looks and feels quite delicate. If you accidentally bend a metal clip out of position, grab some pliers and a vise and bend it back. I have doubts that an overstressed Delrin clip is as resilient.
4. All edges of the clip are sharp, both on the inside and the outside. Quite noticeable if you have it in your pocket. No effort was made to round off the clip's edges.
5. The tongue of the clip curves back on itself. If you managed to get this light clipped to your belt it's pretty much impossible to get it off one-handed. You'll need one hand to lift up and unhook the clip while the other pulls out the light.

Personally, I think the Lenslight clip is the worst clip I've ever seen on a flashlight. By far. Fortunately, the clip is removable. But they don't provide the hex wrench needed to remove it. You'll have to buy one at your local hardware store if you don't have one on-hand.

Last edited:

Z-Tab

Enlightened
I can appreciate all of those concerns about the clip. It is one of the stranger decisions on the light. It's designed for Molle systems, so it's very good for that, but not so great in a pocket or on a belt compared to low profile stainless steel or titanium clips.

It would be nice if they made the more traditional metal clip they have on the 2x123 and the TAD Ti Mini available for the regular Mini, since the delrin clip turns a lot of people off.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a 2 cell version and have been pleased with it. It is a very versatile light IMO. Love the throw as well as flood. Tank of a light! Super stout clip! A little sharp around the edges and a little tight for pocket carry. Overall I think it's a very unique and useful light. Has it replaced my 4sevens 2x123X light yet for EDC? Not quite, but I think I'll keep it for now. Makes a great dog walking light for night time!

340wedge

Newly Enlightened
Hello I'm looking for any beam shots of this light. Or if any owners can tell me how it compares to other cr123 based lights. Thanks

archimedes

Flashaholic
Last edited:

340wedge

Newly Enlightened
Thank you arch I came across that thread but its hard to tell much without a comparison. I'm really interested in the light just don't want to hit the buy button without abit more info.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah. Was just looking into one of the 6/4 Mini's but you guys have halted that. Shame really. Although I have to be honest I was leaning against it when I saw it doesn't tail stand.