Best 1xAA EDC these days? Required features in post

bluemax_1

Enlightened
Looking at the current crop of 1xAA EDC options available as I'm considering a replacement for my current EDC. I've had a Fenix L2D for some time now (I forget just how long) and purchased the shorter 1xAA battery tube to turn it into a 1xAA light (so an L2D head on L1D tube = L1D?).

* Must be able to use 1xAA alkaline, NiMH (and Lithium primaries?)
* Must be reliable. Before the Fenix, I had a cheapy LED which failed after a couple of months. The Fenix is still working after all these years of daily carry and daily use.
* Must be a clicky (with easy 1-handed operation) and the switch must be reliable. The L1D has been in my front pocket with my keys and SwissChamp XLT for years. It has never turned on inadvertently in my pocket. Always comes on when I need it to as long as I keep it clean with occasional maintenance (I did have one occasion where it failed to come on, but this was quickly remedied by twisting the tailcap and head quickly to clean the contacts. Doing this periodically since then has ensured that it hasn't happened again). In addition, I'm not sure how quickly/intuitively side switches are to find (such as those are on the Zebralight line), but the Fenix was very intuitive. It's orientation in my pocket is always the same, but even when it wasn't, I would grab the light in my pocket with my thumb on one end and pinky on the other and immediately know which end the switch was.
* Must have at least a High mode for max output and a low mode for max duration (and preferably, the ability to turn the light on directly in a High or Low mode as the L1D does by tightening or loosening the head before turning it on).
* Must have at least IPX-7 (or better) water resistance (1m for 30 minutes).

Features that might be nice but aren't crucial:
- Would prefer the light to have some sort of easily accessible tactical strobe mode (the L1D's click on in Turbo + tap on button to strobe is fine).
- Ability to use 14500 or 18650 cells for even higher light output. Nice feature to have, but first and foremost, the light MUST be able to run on commonly available AA batteries.
- Multiple levels between Low and Max.
- Removable (or non-removable) pocket clip would be nice, but not crucial
- Momentary on would be nice but not crucial

That said, first and foremost, how are the new crop of 1xAA lights as far as maximum brightness on 1xAA vs the L1D (or L2D head on L1D body)? Are they significantly brighter, or only noticeable side by side on a white wall?

The ones I've been looking at thus far are:
Fenix LD12
Jetbeam RRT0 XML and PA10
EagleTac D25A
Zebralight SC51 and SC80
Quark Tactical R5
Nitecore D11 R5
LumaPower Trust M1, Connexion X2

Reports of the SC51's switch turning on fairly easily in pockets concerns me as to its applicability.
With the D25A how big is the difference between the XM-L U2 and XP-G S2? I've heard that the S2 has better throw vs the U2 being brighter but more floody. How do they fare for lighting up outdoor objects at night out to 150 feet?
Why does the Jetbeam site show a much longer runtime on high with 1xAA for the RRT0-XML (3h45m) vs the PA10 (1h30m)?

Max

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the ones you mentioned are good 1xAA lights. Boils down to preference and UI.

If you want to run it on regular AA's best to just get the one with the best runtimes using regular AA's. I'm with the Quark on this one. next on the ZL lights you mentioned. If you are worried about light activation in the pocket, you can do a tailcap lockout to keep the light from activating.

Ezeriel

Enlightened
god only knows what's going on with those jetbeams...

but those are all nice lights, like roadkill said, but I would steer clear of the zebralight.

mine just has too many issues for me to consider it edc material

Gunner12

Flashaholic
My Zebralight has been working fine for me, It has turned on by itself twice when I first got it, but that hasn't been a problem since (I carry it in my pockets). No problems with the switch or water resistance yet (I've taken it swimming multiple times). The Zebralight SC80 is said to have a more recessed and stiffer switch which should help against accidental activation.

All those lights are nice. The Spark SL5 seems to be nice too, as well as the Klarus XT1A, Thrunite Neutron, Sunwayman M10A, and V10A.

Obsessed

Newly Enlightened
The Sunwayman V10A and M10A matches all of your criteria. I own the 2 AA Versions (V20A and M20A), and they are awesome little lights. Run on any AA sized battery you can throw at it (including LiPo). can't go wrong with it IMHO.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
* Must have at least a High mode for max output and a low mode for max duration (and preferably, the ability to turn the light on directly in a High or Low mode as the L1D does by tightening or loosening the head before turning it on).

Not sure what you are looking for in terms of max duration, but I've personally come to love multi-hundred hour per AA moonlight modes. If that interests you, I'd go with the Quark Pro or the D25A clicky, both of which also have the same UI as your Fenix (I think). I'd lean toward the Quark for power (2xAA tube or 1x14500) and lean toward the Eagletac if you want the smallest size possible. Won't argue about build quality vs the Fenix, but they both have 10yr warranties (although you should by from a dealer that will support it in the case of ET).

Variable ring lights are cool, but know that they use power and will cut low lumen runtimes (eg 3lm or below) by half or more.

bluemax_1

Enlightened
First of all, thanks for the responses guys

All the ones you mentioned are good 1xAA lights. Boils down to preference and UI.

If you want to run it on regular AA's best to just get the one with the best runtimes using regular AA's. I'm with the Quark on this one. next on the ZL lights you mentioned. If you are worried about light activation in the pocket, you can do a tailcap lockout to keep the light from activating.
When you recommend the Quark for best runtimes, are you talking about the moonlight mode or all the modes vs comparable brightness modes on the other lights? It appears that almost all the lights advertise about 60-90 minutes on their maximum output mode. The 4S Quark advertises the longest runtime on their moonlight mode, but the lowest output I'm used to is the L1D's low output which IIRC, is about 3-4 lumens. For that equivalent output, the Quark is rated for about 2 days/48 hrs. Those are the 2 brightness settings I use the most, Max output and Low of about 3-4 lumens. The Max for maximum brightness obviously, and a 3-4 lumen setting produces decent light for any close work (checking equipment/lighting things up from 1'-5' away). I've never tested lights with an advertised 0.2 lumen output. If that's about equivalent to one of those old Nichia button battery powered keychain lights, it's not going to see much use from me.

As for tailcap lockout, the whole reason for getting a clicky is for quick single-handed deployment. Tailcap lockouts defeat that purpose. Under those circumstances, I might as well just use a twisty, which I don't want.
god only knows what's going on with those jetbeams...

but those are all nice lights, like roadkill said, but I would steer clear of the zebralight.

mine just has too many issues for me to consider it edc material
If I might ask, what seems to be the issue with the Jetbeams? Quality control? Reliability? On further comparisons from the videos online (mostly from GG), the beam profile of the Jetbeam PA10 seems to be closest to my preference. fairly floody, but with pretty decent throw for a 1xAA light. Obviously the output with the 14500 is even more ridiculous (in a good way) but the loss of any other mode other than 'suntan' probably means I won't be using it in that configuration a lot, although it would be easy to carry a charged 14500 cell in a holder, just in case I need that kind of output in a pinch (easier than carrying a separate light for higher output/greater throw, i.e. I can find something to hold a 14500 to keep in my pocket all the time, as opposed to lugging around the TK41 all the time). Does anyone know if the tactical strobe still works in the PA10 when run on the 14500 cells? I know that it isn't possible to switch to lower outputs, but the tactical strobe is technically flashed at max output isn't it?

I like the UI of the Zebralights and the fact that you can turn it on straight to any of the brightness modes simply by the way you push the button. Heard complaints about the SC51 turning on in pockets, but folks claim that the deeper recessed button (which also requires more force to turn on?) on the SC80 and (other newer models) doesn't have that problem?

The Sunwayman V10A and M10A matches all of your criteria. I own the 2 AA Versions (V20A and M20A), and they are awesome little lights. Run on any AA sized battery you can throw at it (including LiPo). can't go wrong with it IMHO.

Is there any increased output using LiPo with these? Their site doesn't say. If not, is there any tangible benefit to running them on LiPo vs just NiMH?

With whichever light I choose, I'm going to be running Eneloop XX 99% of the time.

Max

Last edited:

bluemax_1

Enlightened
Not sure what you are looking for in terms of max duration, but I've personally come to love multi-hundred hour per AA moonlight modes. If that interests you, I'd go with the Quark Pro or the D25A clicky, both of which also have the same UI as your Fenix (I think). I'd lean toward the Quark for power (2xAA tube or 1x14500) and lean toward the Eagletac if you want the smallest size possible. Won't argue about build quality vs the Fenix, but they both have 10yr warranties (although you should by from a dealer that will support it in the case of ET).

Variable ring lights are cool, but know that they use power and will cut low lumen runtimes (eg 3lm or below) by half or more.
How useful are the moonlight modes? Haven't used lights with those. Are they only good for say,... map reading when the light is held 2-3 inches from the map, or is it enough light to potentially use them to check on electrical equipment from 4-5 feet away? As mentioned in my post right below yours, if the output is more like the old Nichia LED button cell keychain lights, I won't have much use for it. I'm looking for maximum duration with a 2-4 lumen output Low mode (and most advertise 60-90 minutes on Max output).

Thanks for the input about the variable ring lights. I was wondering about those since some of them can be set to as low as 1 lumen (or lower?) which would allow me to see if that little output is adequate for a low mode, but I'd heard that they're not too efficient especially with the lower settings. With this added info and the fact that I'm not sure how easy single-handed output/mode switching would be with a reverse grip (what I use 80-90% of the time), I can safely rule out lights like the RRT0-XML and V10A.

BTW, I'd assume that the Sunwayman V10A falls into this category. What about the M10A? It appears similar to the V10A with the ring selector.

Only considering 1xAA lights. It's basically a backup light for when I don't have the TK41 with me, so they must fit into my pocket, ensuring that it's convenient enough that I ALWAYS carry it and never have to worry about forgetting to put it in my pocket. I don't always carry the TK41 and that's where the EDC comes in. I always have the L1D everywhere I go.

BTW, no one's commented thus far, but do the new crop of LEDs show an appreciable increase in light output in Max output setting over my L2D head on L1D body? BTW, I got that config because of the convenient ability to switch between 1xAA and 2xAA, but after switching to 1xAA, I haven't used the 2xAA body since (Also, one review showed that the L2D head had more output with the 1xAA body than the L1D head with L1D body).

Max

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The low output modes are nice when your eyes are adjusted to darkness, so you don't kill your night vision with too much light. From my use, they are fine to a few feet with night adjusted vision like trips to the bathroom at night. I'm not sure if it is enough for checking equipment.

As for output vs the classic L1D or L2D, there should be some noticeable differences in output, but it does take something like 4x the output for one light to seems 2x brighter then another.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
How useful are the moonlight modes? Haven't used lights with those. Are they only good for say,... map reading when the light is held 2-3 inches from the map, or is it enough light to potentially use them to check on electrical equipment from 4-5 feet away? As mentioned in my post right below yours, if the output is more like the old Nichia LED button cell keychain lights, I won't have much use for it. I'm looking for maximum duration with a 2-4 lumen output Low mode (and most advertise 60-90 minutes on Max output).

Thanks for the input about the variable ring lights. I was wondering about those since some of them can be set to as low as 1 lumen (or lower?) which would allow me to see if that little output is adequate for a low mode, but I'd heard that they're not too efficient especially with the lower settings. With this added info and the fact that I'm not sure how easy single-handed output/mode switching would be with a reverse grip (what I use 80-90% of the time), I can safely rule out lights like the RRT0-XML and V10A.

BTW, I'd assume that the Sunwayman V10A falls into this category. What about the M10A? It appears similar to the V10A with the ring selector.

Only considering 1xAA lights. It's basically a backup light for when I don't have the TK41 with me, so they must fit into my pocket, ensuring that it's convenient enough that I ALWAYS carry it and never have to worry about forgetting to put it in my pocket. I don't always carry the TK41 and that's where the EDC comes in. I always have the L1D everywhere I go.

BTW, no one's commented thus far, but do the new crop of LEDs show an appreciable increase in light output in Max output setting over my L2D head on L1D body? BTW, I got that config because of the convenient ability to switch between 1xAA and 2xAA, but after switching to 1xAA, I haven't used the 2xAA body since (Also, one review showed that the L2D head had more output with the 1xAA body than the L1D head with L1D body).

Max

Everyone loves bright powerful modes but dim modes can be another matter. I think the vast majority of people, myself included, are initially quite skeptical of the worth of a dim mode like moonlight, but after using it for a while, most are surprised at how useful it can be. I suggest searching on "moonlight" for some opinions, and taking a look at this recent poll I took, to determine if it may be something for you.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?341755-Sub-Lumen-quot-Moonlight-quot-Mode-Poll

I was considering the M10A myself, but then read review here that most SWMs M series 4 lumen lows are more like 0.4 lumens (read Selfbuilt's reviews of the M20 and M11). I do love sub-lumen levels, but not when the next mode has a huge gap to 20 or higher lumens. I like 3lms after moonlight.

3 lumen lows are quite nice too and Fenix makes a very efficient light owing to its narrow voltage tolerance of its boost-only driver (I understand the 2xAA versions go into direct drive on 2 Lithium primaries which tend to be 1.7V+ out of the box). Quarks are different, they use a wider voltage range buck and boost driver which gives a broader range of lumens and battery choice, but are less efficient for doing so. So, for example, on 1 alkaline, you might be able run 3lms/100 hrs and 100lms/3 hrs on a Fenix while a Quark could only do 3lms/50 hrs and 100lms/1.5 hrs, BUT that same Quark can do 0.2lms/400 hrs and 200lms/0.75hrs (1x14500). Pick your poison.

The newer LEDs will get you small incremental improvements (the latest XP-G2 is said be 20% brighter than the R5, barely noticeable) but the real restriction is battery power. The XML will a little brighter and more efficient than the R5 on high on a 1xAA but give it Li-ion power and it will pull 3,4,5 hundred lumens. I personally chose emitters more for flood and tint reasons than lumens or runtime.

If you're really looking for a back-up, EDC, always-with-you convenience type light, I would again recommend the D25A clicky for its tiny, most easily pocketable, no accidental activation, long warranty (when supported by good dealer) and wicked cool Ti good looks, and in neutral white XML floody beam. It won't be the powerhouse of the Quark on a 14500, or run as long on moonlight, but it does have it, and it can be programmed on or off.

Anyways, hope that helps.. good luck on your search.

bluemax_1

Enlightened
reppans,
thanks for the info. More food for thought on the different drive circuits and their pros and cons.

Max

bluemax_1

Enlightened
Thanks again for the recommendations guys. I ended up getting a ZL SC80.

Although I was skeptical of the practicality/usability of the moonlight mode (0.12 lumen for ~700 hours on a 2000mAh Eneloop. I'm using a 2500mAh Eneloop XX), I have to say, with dark adapted eyes, it's quite usable for walking around the house at night (and for using it in camp, or in a tent or digging in a backpack without ruining night vision). The ridiculous runtimes of course, are an incredible bonus. For equipment checking from 4-6 feet away though (and especially in environments with varying light levels, where maximum dark adaptation never fully occurs), the Low modes are too low and the Medium modes are more practical.

The other thing I had wondered about was how the light would throw vs the Fenix L2D head on L1D body (which apparently is a good thrower for a 1xAA light). Although while white wall hunting, the Fenix's hotspot is obviously brighter than the SC80's (I can see the Fenix hotspot within the ZL's hotspot), the ZL has a bigger hotspot and does throw out significantly more light than the Fenix. The reality is though, outside, the Fenix's more focused hotspot doesn't really translate to a throw advantage (obviously any 1xAA light isn't exactly a huge thrower). In fact, the greater light output and bigger hotspot of the ZL lights up the longer ranges better than the almost unnoticeable advantage of the Fenix's slightly more intense hotspot.

If anyone else is interested in how the newer Zebralight SC80 differs as far as noticeable brightness vs my older Fenix Rebel equipped L2D head on L1D body, as mentioned, the Fenix's hotspot is in fact, slightly more intense. The ZL though, puts out quite a bit more light over a larger area, and even at longer ranges (out to 150+ feet) the amount of light the ZL puts out just illuminates a larger area than the Fenix, so although the brightest bright is almost comparable (to the point that it's not easy to notice the differences in real world conditions), the ZL appears just about as bright, but over a significantly wider area. There's no doubt this is what will be going with me as a backup/convenient carry in the backwoods.

That said though, for urban use, I think I'm going to look at one of the high Max output 14500 Li-ion rechargeable (and 1xAA emergency power) capable lights (that retains all modes) for urban use, even at the expense of the ridiculously long runtimes for the ultra-low modes.

Anyone compared the throw of the Jetbeam RRT0-XML vs the Sunwayman V10A or V10R/V11R with AA extender? Or are there other potentially even better options out there?

Simply put, I'm looking for something that puts out a whole lot of light on Max setting with Li-ion rechargeables (that can also run on 1xAA in an emergency, albeit at significantly lower max output) but still has the ability to use the lower modes when Max output isn't needed (so lights like the Fenix L1D or Eagletac D25A or Jetbeam PA10 don't qualify as they all lose the low modes on Li-ion batteries). I like the UI of the RRT0-XML that allows the user to set it to the tactical strobe before even turning the light on, but Max output on Li-ion + ~10-lumen (or thereabouts) capability is the primary requirement.

Max

Last edited:

bluemax_1

Enlightened
OK, reviews of the RRT0-XML knock it out of the running.

Anyone care to comment on the Sunwayman V10A and V10R/V11R with AA extender vs a Quark QP2A-X/QT2A-X head on 1xAA body when run on protected 14500s? Oh, and also the throw capabilities for the XP-G vs the XM-L on 14500s? It would seem that the XM-L can output quite a bit more lumens than the XP-G when both are run off a 14500 cell, but the XM-L will have a floodier beam. Will the added lumens make up for the floodier beam at longer ranges (the way I found the SC80 to do vs the Fenix L1D?).

It appears that the Sunwayman lights with the infinitely variable controllers will have far shorter runtimes on low modes than the Quarks, but that's not as much of a problem in urban use where I can recharge the 14500's as needed. I can't find outputs on single 14500's for the Quarks? Will the Max output be similar to the Sunwayman or will the Sunwayman options be significantly brighter? It appears that the Sunwayman lights claim ~500 lumen output on Li-ion rechargeables (advised to not run Max/Turbo mode for more than 5 minutes), whereas I've only seen estimates of the Quark output on 1x14500 in the 300 lumen range? Is that about right?

If the Quarks are indeed in the 300 range vs ~500 range for the Sunwayman, I think I'd be leaning more to the Sunwayman models.

Max

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quarks are strictly regulated so all mode will retain the same lumens on a 14500 as with 2xAA. Selfbuilt's review of the QAA2X shows 400 lumens before 3 min auto stepdown to the 280 listed. The 25% increase between 500 and 400 will be perceived as a 12% increase to the human eye (sq rt thing). The max runtime difference will be..... ummm a little more than that.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I've got the Sunwayman V11R and I run a RCR123 battery in it. It put put a ton of light and has a wider (but more intense) beam then my Zebralight SC51c. It's more of a flood light then a throw light. You might want something with a larger head for throw.

If you don't mind spending the money, the Quark Turbo (2 AA version) with a 1 AA body might work for you. Remember, more output doesn't mean more throw. A 3 lumen green laser throw a lot more then a 10000 lumen flood light.

If you want throw, the XM-L emitters might not work for you, since they have a larger emitting surface, giving you a wider beam. The XP-G and XP-Es in a similar size reflector will give a narrower beam.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for tailcap lockout, the whole reason for getting a clicky is for quick single-handed deployment. Tailcap lockouts defeat that purpose. Under those circumstances, I might as well just use a twisty, which I don't want.
IMO, the lockout feature has nothing to do quick deployment and is very handy. I use it when I store away my lights r transport them to avoid accidemtal application. Obviously when I carry a light in my pocket at night I don't lock it out.

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk 2

bluemax_1

Enlightened
Quarks are strictly regulated so all mode will retain the same lumens on a 14500 as with 2xAA. Selfbuilt's review of the QAA2X shows 400 lumens before 3 min auto stepdown to the 280 listed. The 25% increase between 500 and 400 will be perceived as a 12% increase to the human eye (sq rt thing). The max runtime difference will be..... ummm a little more than that.
Going to take a closer look at the Quarks
I've got the Sunwayman V11R and I run a RCR123 battery in it. It put put a ton of light and has a wider (but more intense) beam then my Zebralight SC51c. It's more of a flood light then a throw light. You might want something with a larger head for throw.

If you don't mind spending the money, the Quark Turbo (2 AA version) with a 1 AA body might work for you.
Also going to check out the V11R. The Quark Turbo unfortunately is not going to be an option as it doesn't appear to be designed to be able to run off 1 AA. Although it can be run of 1 14500 in a 1xAA body, I need the light to be capable of being run off 1xAA (even though the output is lower) if the Li-ion goes flat.
IMO, the lockout feature has nothing to do quick deployment and is very handy. I use it when I store away my lights r transport them to avoid accidemtal application. Obviously when I carry a light in my pocket at night I don't lock it out.
I understand using the tailcap lockout for storage or transportation, but it was mentioned specifically in reference to the SC51 accidentally turning on while being carried in a pocket. In that particular case, the tailcap lockout defeats the purpose of a clicky for quick single-handed deployment.

At this current time, the Quark 2AA on a 1AA body with a 14500 cell looks like it might be a top contender. As reppans pointed out, the extra lumens of the V11R may not be that much of a difference, and I prefer the UI of the 1AA bodied Quark as it allows one-handed operation of the light and its modes (interface of the regular/Pro version appears to be identical to the Fenix I'm used to), where the V11R seems to be less well thought out for one-handed operation (i.e. stiffer button at one end is most easily utilized with the thumb in a reverse grip, control ring for brightness is meant for the thumb and forefinger in a forward grip).

A V11R with a HDS configuration could have been great (button/control ring on the same end for full reverse grip control). That or an ultra-low draw standby mode on the ring so you can activate/turn-on the light AND control brightness with one hand in a forward grip.

Max

Last edited:

Up All Night

Enlightened
bluemax_1
The Quark AA turbo head is of the low voltage variety(0.9v-4.2v). You should be able to run it with a regular AA in a one AA body. I own a V11R w/extender, I also own a regular UI Quark AA(not turbo) which I run on a 14500. The SWM puts out more light for certain, but the Quark w/the XP-G throws just as far, if not farther.
Keep in mind, to get decent throw out of the SWM you have to crank it up and it gets hot.....fast. It's only recommended you do this in short intervals, I've run my Quark for extended periods on max and it gets nowhere near as hot as the V11R does after only a few minutes. The Quark offers better run time, easier one hand operation for me(neck carry and overhand grip). My next move will be to buy a Quark AA2 turbo w/XP-G2 and screw the head on the AA body.
The V11R is a nice light, the Quark works better for me. Love the Quark AA ON THE JUICE!

bluemax_1

Enlightened
bluemax_1
The Quark AA turbo head is of the low voltage variety(0.9v-4.2v). You should be able to run it with a regular AA in a one AA body. I own a V11R w/extender, I also own a regular UI Quark AA(not turbo) which I run on a 14500. The SWM puts out more light for certain, but the Quark w/the XP-G throws just as far, if not farther.
Keep in mind, to get decent throw out of the SWM you have to crank it up and it gets hot.....fast. It's only recommended you do this in short intervals, I've run my Quark for extended periods on max and it gets nowhere near as hot as the V11R does after only a few minutes. The Quark offers better run time, easier one hand operation for me(neck carry and overhand grip). My next move will be to buy a Quark AA2 turbo w/XP-G2 and screw the head on the AA body.
The V11R is a nice light, the Quark works better for me. Love the Quark AA ON THE JUICE!
Ah, I see my mistake, I was looking at the specs of the XM-L Turbo, not the XP-G2.

So the only differences between the Quark Turbo and Pro/Regular are that the Turbo has a larger reflector for more throw and uses the Tactical UI?

Max