Malkoff
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 45 of 45

Thread: Best 1xAA EDC these days? Required features in post

  1. #31

    Default Re: Best 1xAA EDC these days? Required features in post

    bluemax 1,
    I think you will be impressed when the sun goes down. My Quark on a 14500 puts out as much light as my Jetbeam BC10 rated at 260 OTF. That's with the XP-G, the XP-G2 offers a 20% increase and many here say it's quite noticeable. Now for the somewhat divisive question......, how's the tint?

  2. #32

    Default Re: Best 1xAA EDC these days? Required features in post

    Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    Good to hear you like the light.

    Yeah, the long reset when using Li-ions is one of the XPG quark quirks... I hope they've fixed the pre-flash issue on your version (moonlight sometimes blasts max for a millisecond) though. Preflash was fixed on my XPG-S2 version, and the XML versions, which I prefer more for the floody beam, do not have either issue, and I was always wondering if these fixes would carry over to all the latest emitters.... sorry to hear they do not.
    Not sure exactly how 'fixed' the pre-flash issue is on the G2, but I do notice pre-flash on Moonlight mode. Thus far, it doesn't seem as bad as on the Fenix. The QP2A-X didn't appear to have pre-flash on 2xAA's.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruc View Post
    How do you know what version you have, like S2?
    I don't see any markings on the lights themselves, it's just a little sticker on the box. What's to stop someone from placing a Gen2 sticker on a Gen1 box? I don't know.

    BTW, what's the difference between S2 and G2?



    Max

  3. #33

    Default Re: Best 1xAA EDC these days? Required features in post

    Quote Originally Posted by Up All Night View Post
    bluemax 1,
    I think you will be impressed when the sun goes down. My Quark on a 14500 puts out as much light as my Jetbeam BC10 rated at 260 OTF. That's with the XP-G, the XP-G2 offers a 20% increase and many here say it's quite noticeable. Now for the somewhat divisive question......, how's the tint?
    The tint on mine is actually pretty decent, even on the lower modes. It's a little cooler than the standard SC80 and has a touch of purple on the edges of the hotspot but the QP2A-X is definitely greener. With the human eye's natural Auto White Balance, the differences are quickly adapted to and only noticeable on a white wall beside each other.

    When I first played with my various lights together while comparing hotspots and brightnesses, I had the distinct impression that the QP2A-X was greenish, but after double checking in response to your post, the QP2A-X was the first light I shone at the white wall and it seemed white enough, till I turned on the other lights. Without comparing them side-by-side, I wouldn't have been bothered by the X's tint too much.

    *** You know, I had to rewrite this post 3 times due to subjective impressions of tint. I realized, the QPA-G2 is actually pretty similar in tint to the standard Cool White SC80. It subjectively appeared cooler because the hotspot is so much brighter. Running the 14500 powered G2 on High and the SC80 on Max made the hotspot intensities much closer, and under those conditions, the tint is quite similar; cool white with a hint of purple on the hotspots edges.

    The QP2A-X looks OK on its own until the other lights are turned on, then it looks greenish. In contrast, the Luxeon Rebel equipped L2D head is warmer than all of them. It looks white until I compare it with the others, then it looks yellowish.



    Max

  4. #34

    Default Re: Best 1xAA EDC these days? Required features in post

    The difference between the Gen 1 and Gen 2

    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...ML-XPG-vs-XPG2


    The S2 was a limited edition, and a meany greeny that most people hated for the tint, but I agree with human white balance thing.... doesn't bother me too much except in side by side comparisons. The S2 only had a 180 lms max (2xAA) but was spec'd at like 1150 hrs on a 0.4 lm moonlight - longest runtime I've ever seen 4/7s quote. Never saw anyone post a testimonal to verify that though.

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax_1 View Post
    Not sure exactly how 'fixed' the pre-flash issue is on the G2, but I do notice pre-flash on Moonlight mode. Thus far, it doesn't seem as bad as on the Fenix. The QP2A-X didn't appear to have pre-flash on 2xAA's.
    The pre-flash on the R5 was bad.... it was truly max for a millisec. I have tiny, like 1-2 lm, "pre-flash" on moonlight on my Quark S2 and XMLs and Eagletac D25A Clickies... I don't consider that pre-flash. Try the X on a 14500 and see if the reset thing is fixed too.

  5. #35
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    52

    Default Re: Best 1xAA EDC these days? Required features in post

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax_1 View Post
    Looking at the current crop of 1xAA EDC options available as I'm considering a replacement for my current EDC. I've had a Fenix L2D for some time now (I forget just how long) and purchased the shorter 1xAA battery tube to turn it into a 1xAA light (so an L2D head on L1D tube = L1D?).

    * Must be able to use 1xAA alkaline, NiMH (and Lithium primaries?)
    * Must be reliable.

    Reports of the SC51's switch turning on fairly easily in pockets concerns me as to its applicability.
    With the D25A how big is the difference between the XM-L U2 and XP-G S2? I've heard that the S2 has better throw vs the U2 being brighter but more floody. How do they fare for lighting up outdoor objects at night out to 150 feet?
    Why does the Jetbeam site show a much longer runtime on high with 1xAA for the RRT0-XML (3h45m) vs the PA10 (1h30m)?


    Max
    I'll be honest with you JetBeam is full of it regarding run times and lumen output. I own the PA10. Two of them. Even without the hype advertisement they are great lights and offer a wow factor better than any other single AA battery operated light I own. I also own the Protac 1A and I've had several others one of which I also like in the way of the D25 LE Ti and I like that one a lot also. It is brighter, the throw is weak and that is where I'd say it is lacking other than being on low and needing run through each level to get to the one you want most of the time. Oh and needing two hands to use it for the most part. Other than this its a great little light but in my opinion it is a little light and by that I mean a compromise light. Not the one you would like to carry but it will do. That is how I see the D25 after owning it. It will work. The JetBeam PA10 is a real light putting out real good wall of light coverage and it gives good throw on a fresh battery. When the throw drops is when it starts to suck and while I'm sure Jetbeam does not count that the fact is about the time you lose that throw is when I feel most guys will toss the battery so that is well before the light actually dies. Sure if you want to try to run it down it may last that long at what? 1 hour and 30 min. or something? Anyway, on 14500 Lithium Ion batteries you get great light for about 20 minutes with the Jetbeam and not much longer with the D25. The Jetbeam absorbs the heat much better and due to the bigger size of course and the thicker chunky build and thicker sidewalls.

    The JetBeam burns up batteries if you like a good bright light but I love the light and rate it the best of the ones I've owned. It could be better certainly but its a great little light that is like carrying your own personal 40 watt bulb with you all the time.

  6. #36

    Default Re: Best 1xAA EDC these days? Required features in post

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax_1 View Post
    The tint on mine is actually pretty decent, even on the lower modes. It's a little cooler than the standard SC80 and has a touch of purple on the edges of the hotspot but the QP2A-X is definitely greener. With the human eye's natural Auto White Balance, the differences are quickly adapted to and only noticeable on a white wall beside each other.

    When I first played with my various lights together while comparing hotspots and brightnesses, I had the distinct impression that the QP2A-X was greenish, but after double checking in response to your post, the QP2A-X was the first light I shone at the white wall and it seemed white enough, till I turned on the other lights. Without comparing them side-by-side, I wouldn't have been bothered by the X's tint too much.

    *** You know, I had to rewrite this post 3 times due to subjective impressions of tint. I realized, the QPA-G2 is actually pretty similar in tint to the standard Cool White SC80. It subjectively appeared cooler because the hotspot is so much brighter. Running the 14500 powered G2 on High and the SC80 on Max made the hotspot intensities much closer, and under those conditions, the tint is quite similar; cool white with a hint of purple on the hotspots edges.

    The QP2A-X looks OK on its own until the other lights are turned on, then it looks greenish. In contrast, the Luxeon Rebel equipped L2D head is warmer than all of them. It looks white until I compare it with the others, then it looks yellowish.



    Max
    Lol, sorry brother! Didn't mean to open a Pandora's box on you. I've been there myself, going through light after light comparing tints, makes your head spin! Subjective it is, I've finally come to the conclusion that if a tint looks acceptable on its own without comparing it head to head with another light I can usually live with it.
    That said, I do bring a reference light with me if I'm checking out a light at a retailer. I only take it out if the one I'm looking at has an obvious blue or green tint.
    Gotta laugh, cuz as I'm typing this I have a dozen lights I'm checking against the ceiling!.......Again!
    Last edited by Up All Night; 09-21-2012 at 01:22 PM.

  7. #37

    Default Re: Best 1xAA EDC these days? Required features in post

    Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    The difference between the Gen 1 and Gen 2

    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...ML-XPG-vs-XPG2


    The S2 was a limited edition, and a meany greeny that most people hated for the tint, but I agree with human white balance thing.... doesn't bother me too much except in side by side comparisons. The S2 only had a 180 lms max (2xAA) but was spec'd at like 1150 hrs on a 0.4 lm moonlight - longest runtime I've ever seen 4/7s quote. Never saw anyone post a testimonal to verify that though.



    The pre-flash on the R5 was bad.... it was truly max for a millisec. I have tiny, like 1-2 lm, "pre-flash" on moonlight on my Quark S2 and XMLs and Eagletac D25A Clickies... I don't consider that pre-flash. Try the X on a 14500 and see if the reset thing is fixed too.
    Hey, thanks for the link. Easy way to tell if the light really has a G2 or not. Yep, my G2 is a G2 (gray square/die) and the SC80 is a 1G (green square/die)
    Man... 48 days on 0.4 lumens is pretty impressive runtime if it's true. When you start getting past 20 days though, it's all good. It's hard to consider we're talking about continuous runtimes that long. I still remember my old incans that would drain batteries flat in a few hours when run continuously.

    As far as the pre-flash goes, yes, it's very slight on the QPA-G2 on the 14500. Not obstrusive at all, and it doesn't mess with dark adaptation much. I do prefer the lower 0.12 lumens low of the SC80 on fully dark adapted eyes though vs ~0.2-0.3 lumens on the Quarks. With the Quarks, they put out enough light on the Moonlight modes that it takes a wee bit longer for full dark adaptation to return after turning the light off. The 0.12 lumen Moonlight mode on the SC80 only takes about 10-20 seconds for full dark adaptation to return after shutting it off (my night vision seems to be better than average, purely subjectively based on how well I see in the dark compared to other folks I'm around). Pretty amazing how quickly I've come to like Moonlight modes from not having any lights with them just a little while ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Up All Night View Post
    Lol, sorry brother! Didn't mean to open a Pandora's box on you. I've been there myself, going through light after light comparing tints, makes your head spin! Subjective it is, I've finally come to the conclusion that if a tint looks acceptable on it's own without comparing it head to head with another light I can usually live with it.
    That said, I do bring a reference light with me if I'm checking out a light at a retailer. I only take it out if the one I'm looking at has an obvious blue or green tint.
    Gotta laugh, cuz as I'm typing this I have a dozen lights I'm checking against the ceiling!.......Again!
    LOL! CPF, turning Average Joe's into Great White Wall Hunters since its beginning.


    Max

    P.S. STR, thanks for the info, but I ended up crossing the D25 and PA10's off the list due to them direct driving their LEDs on 14500s. I ended up with the QPA-G2 because it produces significantly increased output on Turbo with the 14500, but still retains the usability of the low modes. I don't know what the PA10/RRT0-XML look like on a Li-ion (they claim a LOT of lumens). They sound like very bright lights, but based on the QP2A-X, it appears that XM-L emitters don't throw very well in small reflectors (which is to be expected considering how large the emitter is). The QP2A-G2 and QPA-G2 on 14500 out throw my QP2A-X.

    The other thing I really liked about the Quark vs the RRT0-XML was the one-handed deployment, i.e. one button to turn the light On and switch modes with the same grip vs the On/Off button on one end and the rotary ring on the opposite end requiring one grip to turn the light on, then reversing the grip to use the rotary ring, or needing to use 2 hands to operate the light (plus the better low runtimes vs the Infinitely Variable type lights).

    If HDS made a single AA G2 Rotary light that could produce the Max output of the ZL SC80 on 1xAA Eneloop + higher outputs on a 14500, I'd drop the $200 on one. Pretty good runtimes on lower modes, good brightness on High modes, rotary control and button on the same end for easy one-handed operation, and as tough as they come... but they don't make single AA lights.
    Last edited by bluemax_1; 09-19-2012 at 10:37 PM.

  8. #38
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    52

    Default Re: Best 1xAA EDC these days? Required features in post

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax_1 View Post
    Hey, thanks for the link. Easy way to tell if the light really has a G2 or not. Yep, my G2 is a G2 (gray square/die) and the SC80 is a 1G (green square/die)
    Man... 48 days on 0.4 lumens is pretty impressive runtime if it's true. When you start getting past 20 days though, it's all good. It's hard to consider we're talking about continuous runtimes that long. I still remember my old incans that would drain batteries flat in a few hours when run continuously.

    As far as the pre-flash goes, yes, it's very slight on the QPA-G2 on the 14500. Not obstrusive at all, and it doesn't mess with dark adaptation much. I do prefer the lower 0.12 lumens low of the SC80 on fully dark adapted eyes though vs ~0.2-0.3 lumens on the Quarks. With the Quarks, they put out enough light on the Moonlight modes that it takes a wee bit longer for full dark adaptation to return after turning the light off. The 0.12 lumen Moonlight mode on the SC80 only takes about 10-20 seconds for full dark adaptation to return after shutting it off (my night vision seems to be better than average, purely subjectively based on how well I see in the dark compared to other folks I'm around). Pretty amazing how quickly I've come to like Moonlight modes from not having any lights with them just a little while ago.


    LOL! CPF, turning Average Joe's into Great White Wall Hunters since its beginning.


    Max

    P.S. STR, thanks for the info, but I ended up crossing the D25 and PA10's off the list due to them direct driving their LEDs on 14500s. I ended up with the QPA-G2 because it produces significantly increased output on Turbo with the 14500, but still retains the usability of the low modes. I don't know what the PA10/RRT0-XML look like on a Li-ion (they claim a LOT of lumens). They sound like very bright lights, but based on the QP2A-X, it appears that XM-L emitters don't throw very well in small reflectors (which is to be expected considering how large the emitter is). The QP2A-G2 and QPA-G2 on 14500 out throw my QP2A-X.

    The other thing I really liked about the Quark vs the RRT0-XML was the one-handed deployment, i.e. one button to turn the light On and switch modes with the same grip vs the On/Off button on one end and the rotary ring on the opposite end requiring one grip to turn the light on, then reversing the grip to use the rotary ring, or needing to use 2 hands to operate the light (plus the better low runtimes vs the Infinitely Variable type lights).

    If HDS made a single AA G2 Rotary light that could produce the Max output of the ZL SC80 on 1xAA Eneloop + higher outputs on a 14500, I'd drop the $200 on one. Pretty good runtimes on lower modes, good brightness on High modes, rotary control and button on the same end for easy one-handed operation, and as tough as they come... but they don't make single AA lights.

    I have a friend with a tester and all I know is that when I bought my 3D Maglite and tested it with his lite it put out just what MagLite claimed it did. Well, not exactly but it was within like four lumens and probably due to the battery choice more than anything. Thats pretty accurate and honest in my opinion but I realize there are probably other ways to test light output. Why companies would use some method other than the user accessible ones is beyond me because when it says 650 lumens I expect it to be plus or minus but you know close to that would be nice. Really though in real output testing the same way you would test it yourself in all liklihood the PA10 puts out 331 lumens. We'll be kind and round up to call it a 340 Lumen light at best but 330 is a more accurate claim. That is the most I've ever squeezed out of mine with a Ultrafire 14500 900ma battery in it. Don't get me wrong I love the light, think the world of it actually but I'm not sure why a company would need to hype up a light already putting out great light. Overhyped for sure with the over the top claims and you would miss the multi settings. Thats why I rarely use a 14500 in my JB. I use it mostly on the 55 Lumen setting.

  9. #39

    Default Re: Best 1xAA EDC these days? Required features in post

    Quote Originally Posted by STR View Post
    I have a friend with a tester and all I know is that when I bought my 3D Maglite and tested it with his lite it put out just what MagLite claimed it did. Well, not exactly but it was within like four lumens and probably due to the battery choice more than anything. Thats pretty accurate and honest in my opinion but I realize there are probably other ways to test light output. Why companies would use some method other than the user accessible ones is beyond me because when it says 650 lumens I expect it to be plus or minus but you know close to that would be nice. Really though in real output testing the same way you would test it yourself in all liklihood the PA10 puts out 331 lumens. We'll be kind and round up to call it a 340 Lumen light at best but 330 is a more accurate claim. That is the most I've ever squeezed out of mine with a Ultrafire 14500 900ma battery in it. Don't get me wrong I love the light, think the world of it actually but I'm not sure why a company would need to hype up a light already putting out great light. Overhyped for sure with the over the top claims and you would miss the multi settings. Thats why I rarely use a 14500 in my JB. I use it mostly on the 55 Lumen setting.
    I also recall reading a review that tested the RRT0-XML and stated that the maximum draw on that light was unsafe for an ICR cell, and required an IMR cell, but would easily kill an IMR cell by running it down too low, which is why I decided to skip the Jetbeams for now. Yeah, overstating their claims may sell lights to folks who don't research their purchases beforehand, but it hurts their integrity with the people who do. Claiming super high output that the light is either incapable of producing, or is potentially unsafe to do so, doesn't really instill much consumer confidence in the company.


    Max

  10. #40

    Default Re: Best 1xAA EDC these days? Required features in post

    BTW reppans, forgot to mention that yes, the reset time is a lot shorter on the QPA-X on a 14500 than the G2.


    Max

  11. #41
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    1,437

    Default Re: Best 1xAA EDC these days? Required features in post

    Quote Originally Posted by STR View Post
    I have a friend with a tester and all I know is that when I bought my 3D Maglite and tested it with his lite it put out just what MagLite claimed it did. Well, not exactly but it was within like four lumens and probably due to the battery choice more than anything. Thats pretty accurate and honest in my opinion but I realize there are probably other ways to test light output. Why companies would use some method other than the user accessible ones is beyond me because when it says 650 lumens I expect it to be plus or minus but you know close to that would be nice. Really though in real output testing the same way you would test it yourself in all liklihood the PA10 puts out 331 lumens. We'll be kind and round up to call it a 340 Lumen light at best but 330 is a more accurate claim. That is the most I've ever squeezed out of mine with a Ultrafire 14500 900ma battery in it. Don't get me wrong I love the light, think the world of it actually but I'm not sure why a company would need to hype up a light already putting out great light. Overhyped for sure with the over the top claims and you would miss the multi settings. Thats why I rarely use a 14500 in my JB. I use it mostly on the 55 Lumen setting.
    That's kind of strange as the PA20, PC20, and PC10 were reviewed and both the PA20 and PC20 were tested to be slightly brighter than JetBeam claimed. See http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...S-MAX-RUNTIMES
    The CP10 was less bright - or from what I understand JetBeam probably did not follow the standard correctly when measuring the lumens.
    It might be the same for the PA10 but at 330 lumens we're talking about half the lumens! I tried to compare my PA10 on a 14500 with PC20 - both using fresh batteries or freshly charged batteries - using the ceiling test and the PA10 appeared to be visibly brighter than PC20. Have you tried using your PA10 using a different 14500?

    I rarely use the 14500 for the same reason as you: I hate losing my lower outputs. In that respect JetBeam blew it: they should have given up a few lumens on Li-ion and made all modes available. I guess more lumens attract buyers, at least those new to LED flashlights.
    Nitecore missed the train with the MT1A: they could have gotten a great 1xAA light by making it fully compatible with 14500 Li-ion batteries and hiding the flashing mode, and including a moonlight mode. Instead they only came out with a half-finished job when working to improve on the PA10. Had it been 2010 but as 2012 there so many alternative lights in the same category, some about to come out with G2 LED that I wonder how many MT lights Nitecore will end up selling.
    Last edited by Labrador72; 09-21-2012 at 07:36 AM.

  12. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax_1 View Post
    BTW reppans, forgot to mention that yes, the reset time is a lot shorter on the QPA-X on a 14500 than the G2.

    Max
    Thanks for letting me know... Kinda disappointed that these last remaining Quark "Quirks" are emitter specific. I was hoping that any later model light would be free from the quirks since the XMLs came out.

    Still, nothing can compete with its 14500/lego/moonlight/runtime/warranty combo, if that stuff is important to you.

  13. #43

    Default Re: Best 1xAA EDC these days? Required features in post

    Quote Originally Posted by Labrador72 View Post
    That's kind of strange as the PA20, PC20, and PC10 were reviewed and both the PA20 and PC20 were tested to be slightly brighter than JetBeam claimed. See http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...S-MAX-RUNTIMES
    Oddly enough, in that test, the Quark 2xAA XML supposedly puts out 400 lumens, which is also more than what Quark rates it at (280).
    Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    Thanks for letting me know... Kinda disappointed that these last remaining Quark "Quirks" are emitter specific. I was hoping that any later model light would be free from the quirks since the XMLs came out.

    Still, nothing can compete with its 14500/lego/moonlight/runtime/warranty combo, if that stuff is important to you.
    Yeah, I'll deal with the longer reset times for that combo of features.


    Max

  14. #44
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    52

    Default Re: Best 1xAA EDC these days? Required features in post

    Quote Originally Posted by Labrador72 View Post
    That's kind of strange as the PA20, PC20, and PC10 were reviewed and both the PA20 and PC20 were tested to be slightly brighter than JetBeam claimed. See http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...S-MAX-RUNTIMES
    The CP10 was less bright - or from what I understand JetBeam probably did not follow the standard correctly when measuring the lumens.
    It might be the same for the PA10 but at 330 lumens we're talking about half the lumens! I tried to compare my PA10 on a 14500 with PC20 - both using fresh batteries or freshly charged batteries - using the ceiling test and the PA10 appeared to be visibly brighter than PC20. Have you tried using your PA10 using a different 14500?

    I rarely use the 14500 for the same reason as you: I hate losing my lower outputs. In that respect JetBeam blew it: they should have given up a few lumens on Li-ion and made all modes available. I guess more lumens attract buyers, at least those new to LED flashlights.
    Nitecore missed the train with the MT1A: they could have gotten a great 1xAA light by making it fully compatible with 14500 Li-ion batteries and hiding the flashing mode, and including a moonlight mode. Instead they only came out with a half-finished job when working to improve on the PA10. Had it been 2010 but as 2012 there so many alternative lights in the same category, some about to come out with G2 LED that I wonder how many MT lights Nitecore will end up selling.

    No I was pretty sure after seeing it that it wasn't what was claimed. Its just a tiny bit brighter to the naked eye than the BA20 that I have that takes two regular alkalines. It doesn't last long though. However, not to say I don't want to believe it is a bad light but its not. I've found videos on youtube of the PA10 being tested and as I recall one was 339 and the other 334 I think so in the same ball park. I just found the one again earlier so I know at least one is there of someone else reporting the same thing on the PA10. I expected it to be 550 anyway but its not and to be honest if you have actually seen lights that bright you know first off from the first time you use the PA10 on turbo that it is not what is claimed. I think that is probably why it is not as popular as it maybe could be but this and the losing the options for various modes thing kills it for interest I think. Still its the best single AA light I've bought in my opinion even if the advertised output is BS!

  15. #45
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    1,437

    Default Re: Best 1xAA EDC these days? Required features in post

    I'm sure 650 lumens is BS too, I just don't think 330 is the real figure either. Or if it is, then the rated lumens for my PC20 and Klarus XT2C are BS too big time!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •