What's the best EDC flashlight in 2012 and why?

sqchram

Newly Enlightened
Carried the liteflux lf2xt with ti shell, xpg, trit button till the switch failed.

I've fallen back on the quark mini 123 and don't really like the twisty, tho it is small and bright with a horrible blue tint.

On order HDS hi cri rotary,

Possibly looking at a Sunwayman V10R Ti+ with Nichia 219 emitter swap.

Basically I want a rotary control with persistent setting and a click on/off feature and good color.

anethema

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I'm not sure how many people will argue that HDS is far and away the best EDC in terms of interface and quality in 2012 or before. Prob one of the best built lights that exist, very quick momentary or latching access to quite a few modes from off or on, all potted electronics, and built like a tank. They pop up on the marketplace once in a while, but new ones are months out for anyone ordering, so that is the bad part about em I guess.

Erik1213

Enlightened
Having cycled through several lights, I find myself always grabbing my EagleTac D25A Mini Clicky with a neutral white XP-G led. It's a really nice interface, the light is tiny, the runtimes are decent and it runs on a single AA cell. My favorite thing about this light is the tint of the LED. It looks exactly like a 4200K HID lamp. Slightly purpleish creamy white. I lost my first one and ordered two to replace it (one to keep the stock XP-G R4 neutral white emitter, the other is getting a Nichia 219 4500K emitter) and traded a user on here for a titanium version.

It's weird because I always thought I was going to be a Zebralight user but I find tailcap clickies more useful than side. I keep the Zebralight SC600w around for hiking because it has the perfect beam for moving through the woods at night.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best setup: Sunwayman v11r. Carry your spare battery in a Spark Sk3.

For pure EDC, I'd say the Sunwayman V11R. The ring plus pushbutton is about the best EDC UI going (for me personally, at least), great size, incredible power on 16340. Right now, for me, the only products that are even close to competing are offered by Jetbeam and Niteye, also having ring controls.

I like to carry a backup battery in my jacket pocket or whatever, and with the advent of mini-sized 123 lights, I've decided it no longer makes sense to carry a spare battery in a plastic case, since a mini-sized 123 light is as small as most battery carriers and not much heavier -- and now you have a spare light, as well. I chose the Spark SK3 for this, it gave me none of the problems my Quark Mini did, and it specifically supports 16340 so I can carry either 123 or 16340 in it, either of which will run the v11r

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like AA/AAA EDC lights for the ability to buy/scavenge/cannibalize common batteries anywhere, including from my light to other EDC devices like my emergency cellphone charger (I can be off grid for a while). Efficient moonlight and low modes are a priority to preserve night vision, extend runtimes, and be less disturbing to others. Max lumens and tints are nice, but far less important to me than emergency runtime capability.

-The Quark 1xAA X is still my top light: from ~200 hr runtimes to ~400 lumen highs (14500) with a 10 warranty and HQ/CS in the US.

-Then the Preon Revo AAA (discontinued though) as a keychain backup with 50 hr runtimes to 80 lumen highs.(I can use AAAs in a AA device with tinfoil/$ bill spacers)

-The D25A Ti NW Clicky has made it into my top 3 being quite similar to the Quark, although without full 14500 support, but in a tiny, very attractive package with a nice tint.

Last edited:

BIGLOU

Enlightened
I think my 18650'd Surefire 6P is still the best. What ever new emitter comes along you can always just replace it as long as the drop-in is P60 based.

Bronco

Enlightened
My two current faves for true, unobtrusive EDC are the HDS high CRI Twisty with clip and the Nichia 219 version of the Peak Logan QTC also with a clip. Both are relatively small, bright, well constructed and extremely reliable.

The Logan has the advantage of being slightly smaller, having the best tint and rendition of any LED light I've owned and features a nearly infinitely adjustable output range without the need for any electronics. The HDS, on the other hand, boasts a buttery smooth operation and an actual, meaningful water resistance rating.

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on the person...and what they are planning to do that day. I don`t like a holster on my belt every day. Might wear one out camping. But for sure I will have a keychain light on me...along with my keys. So for me it`s an AAA light. And after toting an Fenix LOD around, in the end, I settled on a Fenix E01. Now after many years replaced by the brighter Nitecore T0. Of course I have a much brighter light in my truck...several. And being an old timer flashaholic/candlepower member...a hundred or so in my home.

Reason I settled for the E01 over other keychain lights is that I tend to play with lights, just play. So I was using up batts, playing with power levels, without really paying attention and did not want to fool myself into thinking I had batt run time left should I need it for real. Being a single low level light the E01 was much more predictable and forgiving. And in reality, for me, 10 lumens does everything I really need, beyond playing :sssh:

Last edited:

cyclesport

Enlightened
"For pure EDC, I'd say the Sunwayman V11R. The ring plus pushbutton is about the best EDC UI going (for me personally, at least), great size, incredible power on 16340. Right now, for me, the only products that are even close to competing are offered by Jetbeam and Niteye, also having ring controls."

Almost totally agree...have all three and my choices (1) Eye 10, (2) V11R, and (3) RRT-01. Eye 10's perfect beam w/huge bright spill just barely trumps UI as deciding factor, but even w/it's other flaws I love the V11R too. Short run time and parasitic drain fade into insignificance with the ability to instantly fine tune the exact amount of light for the need.

Vesper

Enlightened
Well it's a squishy question because you EDC what fits your needs best.

For me it's currently my Thrunite Ti. It's got a great interface, bright, and is always there, hanging on my keychain. Used it today at the zoo, then again at lunch. Second is my Zebralight SC51. Great size and versatility.

wuyeah

Enlightened
far Zebralight 502d headlamp as EDC flashlight for me.

Living in city of New York, it is well lid all year round and no need for throw. Full flood light works the best.
I use often to check behind computer and even use it to fill light for indoor still life photography.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS Rotary, high CRI

There's really nothing bad to say about this light. Super tough and reliable like all HDS lights. The interface is outstanding and extremely flexible with lots of custom options. Finally, the tint and beam pattern is about as close to perfect as I could ask for without getting obnoxiously nit-picky.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 2012, the Fenix E15 w/ Nichia 219 HCRI mod has been a near perfect edc.

Why? Because I prefer very small lights for edc and love the power and size of cr123 battery. The E15 is tiny and light (39g w/battery) so it fits just right on my keychain.

The 219 gives a such a perfect mid to close distance beam from the E15's optic that it still makes me smile from time to time.

Here it is next to Preon ReVO and an Arc AAA:
e15l.jpg

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a question where the answer depends on the needs of that person and what enviornment needs that might be called for.

I live in an earthquake and high fire danger area where light and signal quality both visual and auditory is a first concern.

When I leave the house I carry a Maxpedition Fat Boy with the Eagletac G25C2 and its supplied case strapped to the shoulder strap; I carry extra batteries and both a blue and red auxiliary lens for the light.

The rest of the bag contains what I think would be appropriate.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 2012, i believe the C20C will be my favorite EDC. Its nice looking, it's small, it uses an 18650, got good runtimes.

But for all time EDC, I go with most of the guys here, the Quark AA 14500 :)

The SC600 is on my wait list. :) heheh...

sqchram

Newly Enlightened
HDS Rotary, high CRI

There's really nothing bad to say about this light. Super tough and reliable like all HDS lights. The interface is outstanding and extremely flexible with lots of custom options. Finally, the tint and beam pattern is about as close to perfect as I could ask for without getting obnoxiously nit-picky.

*sigh*

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think for real life use every day, it is very hard to beat the Photon Freedom Microlight. Ultra small and light, you don't even know it's on your key chain. Only the size of a quarter.
Gives you ten solid lumens of good white light, and has auto ramping for dimming and brightening if you want it, and hidden blinky strobe and SOS and beacon and stuff.
Fairly floody, but it will throw ten yards, so it is fine for personal flashlight needs in the immediate area around you. It meets all the typical requirements like finding something you dropped, or seeing the keyhole in the door, and lighting your path down dark walkways, or looking at the wires behind the computer, finding stuff in the closet, etc.

I love all my bigger lights, but the bottom line is that I use my Photon Freedom Microlight ten times more than any other light I own, and it does 99% of what I normally need a flashlight to do.