Some body give me the push I need...Brass or Aluminium Tri-EDC?

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
Hi all,

I have been scouring the posts in here (and good old Google) to try and find out as much information on Mac's awesome lights.

I have already decided that a Tri-EDC is the way to go...but not sure what to get it made in. I already have some custom aluminium and titanium lights, so thought I would try something different.
I know the titanium seems to be the main choice here, but do not want to spend the extra amount (I will be paying for another custom order soon when the maker returns for leave/paternity).

So I was wondering if I should get brass or just a standard aluminium? I know the brass will be heavier, and tarnish with use...but this can be polished up, and people seem to like the used look on here don't they?
My concern is, how does brass fair against marks and scratches etc. as I would be using it for EDC?

I have emailed Mac, but he is most likely tied up and busy (seems others on here say the same).
I just really need a PUSH to go ahead and get one of these, before I change my mind and loose the impulse buy thing :) Well its actually a treat, as its my birthday tomorrow :party:

Oh and how do you get the glow powder on the posts? There is no option on the web site for it. And custom driver settings (for moonlight), that is not done via Mac is it...how must extra time/cost does it add (im in the UK too)?

Thanks all for any help/advice!

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happy birthday!!!

I've never held a brass mac edc before but I'd imagine it would be kind of heavy in the pocket, but at the same time, the heft gives it a nice feel when holding it. That's why I like my Ti version. If I had to pick one I would probably pick brass. The Al version would just feel like any old flashlight, even though it's probably the most practical version. I just think that if you're going to spend good money on a product, it should feel like it's worth it when you pick it up.

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
I know, that's why I wanted something different than just AI. I would splash out and get the titanium...but just can not seem to justify it. If I wasn't buying another custom I have on pre order too, I would. How much heavier is the TI compared to the AI, or similar size AI flashlight?

How do you like the beam and output on your Tri-EDC? I was wondering how to compare it...and thought the closest type I have is my HDS rotary. Can anyone compare it to that or similar for me?

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had an hds before so I can't compare to it, but I've had an sst-50 edc, my current tri-edc using a triple xpe, and I have owned tri-xpg p60 dropins (same optic and led so exact same beam profile as tri-edc with xpg). They all have different characteristics so I can't say for certain which is the best for you and your intended use. I do love my tri-edc with xpe because the beam is significantly tighter than with xpg so it does better at longer distances, but if you just want to flood the entire area with light, then the xpg or better still the nichia 219 would be better. But the fact is that no matter which you decide to go with, mac's tri-edc puts out an awesome amount of light, and considering its size makes it even more amazing.

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
I was wondering that. I do have a 219 nichia p60 drop in, that I got off a well known maker/member on here...and the tint is really nice!
But does the Tri-nichia sacrifice some output or lumens compared to the Tri-xpg one (in neutral)?

I am after mostly flood, but a decent throw too. Its why the Tri model interested me, as ive seen some beam shots, and it seems to be a perfect balance between the two.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does sacrafice overall lumen output but the tint makes it so enjoyable to use.

Have a look at a video I recently put up. Towards the end I make a comparison between a triple nichia and a triple xpe. The triple nichia is going to be a hair slightly floodier than a triple xp-g.

http://youtu.be/hll4lfr_DjA?hd=1

And another thing to consider, the xpg2's are out and they put out something like 20% more than regular xp-g with a slightly tighter beam, so imagine something with more overall lumens than a tri-xpg AND a slightly tighter hotspot. That might be the best of both worlds right there. You'll need to talk with Mac though to see if he has any xpg2's in stock. :)

nbp

Flashaholic
I know, that's why I wanted something different than just AI. I would splash out and get the titanium...but just can not seem to justify it. If I wasn't buying another custom I have on pre order too, I would. How much heavier is the TI compared to the AI, or similar size AI flashlight?

How do you like the beam and output on your Tri-EDC? I was wondering how to compare it...and thought the closest type I have is my HDS rotary. Can anyone compare it to that or similar for me?

Look at this link. I did a comparison with beamshots between my Tri EDC and my Haiku XP-G (which has a nearly identical beam pattern to HDS XP-G lights). Might help you get a feel for the Tri's beam. I love the beam on the Tri!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...u-or-Mac-s-Tri-EDC-(which-one-to-get-first!-)

kadinh

Newly Enlightened
One thing to consider is brass is softer than Al and Ti, so if you were to drop it, it would get dinged up easier.

I'm not slamming brass at all, just giving you some more info for your decision.

As a side point, as I'm sure youre aware, Hinderer offers pens in Al, brass, Ti, and copper. I have had brass, copper, Ti, and Al pens and for some reason the brass and copper seem to stick with me (I still have both an love them). Just something about having an EDC object (pen, light, etc.) made out of a different material that's uncommon to make it that more special. Yes my copper EDC pen has dings, scratches, and a patina that makes it look like a penny, but it is MY pen! I'm the one who made it look like that; all those dings and marks have a story behind it from my life and me carrying it.

Hope this makes your decision a little easier ;)

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
I may splash out and just get Ti yet...mmm :thinking:

How do you get the glow powder, and how would I ask about getting the xpg g2's installed instead? I have sent Mac a PM on here, and sent him an email, but no reply?
I know he will be busy and all...but if I actually placed an order and sent an email at the same time, would he get it/or acknowledge it before going and building the light...or is their a section for requests when you order?

How long does it take to receive the orders, I know it says up to 6 weeks, but just wondering on actual experiences?

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
The glow powder and led type is all from Mac. At this point, email and PM are the only way to get in touch with him. I would definitely confirm and get a response from him first before sending payment. Build times do vary. Some people's orders took a while and some (including me luckily) received it in about 3 weeks. It just depends on when you catch him. He was already building a few tri-edcs when I caught him so that's probably why I received mine so fast.

I may splash out and just get Ti yet...mmm :thinking:

How do you get the glow powder, and how would I ask about getting the xpg g2's installed instead? I have sent Mac a PM on here, and sent him an email, but no reply?
I know he will be busy and all...but if I actually placed an order and sent an email at the same time, would he get it/or acknowledge it before going and building the light...or is their a section for requests when you order?

How long does it take to receive the orders, I know it says up to 6 weeks, but just wondering on actual experiences?

Flashlight Enthusiast
consider

if you plan on actual daily carry, brass weighs a ton.

but it develops what I think is the nicest patina over time.

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
I was not sure how much more the brass would weigh in comparison? But I sure like the look of it!

I am leaning more and more towards just going the whole hog and getting Ti?

Do you get extra options when you order on the web site...for led and powder options etc? As you mentioned I do not want to order, then try catch up with Mac to say I want some changes...especially if he starts building first?

And nbp those beam shots are helpful, thanks! Is the Tri there using nichia 119's? I'm guessing if I ask for xpg g2's, or 219's it will work out brighter still, with more throw?

I'm going away after tomorrow...and it being my birthday today, I have the impulse to treat my self before the day is out :thumbsup: So hopefully everything will work out, before I loose the urge I have after looking at all the beautiful pics of these Tri's on here!

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
Well I couldn't help my self...just ordered the Tri-EDC in titanium! Didn't expect that. And I have sent Mac an email regards to my other requests :grin2:

Now I play the waiting game! (just hope I get a response to :p)

:party:

kadinh

Newly Enlightened
You won't regret Ti. It's great stuff. I've been carrying my Ti Tri to work every day since I got it and it performs awesome in every aspect. Congrats!

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
I'm glad to hear people use them every day too! I'm looking forward to it. Just hope Mac gets back to me about my other options/requests too.