How do you read or say "cri" ?

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand that cri stands for Color Reference Index. However, when reading it to myself or saying it I don't say C R I as individual letters. I simply say/think "cree".

I know that Cree is a company and has nothing to do with cri other than they make some high cri leds. I'm just saying that I take a shortcut from pronouncing each individual letter and just think "cree", one syllable, to myself.

Probably seems like a silly topic, but I was just wondering if anyone else does too, or maybe you do something else.

If the mods find this just too stupid to discuss I apologize.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I always read it as "C. R. I.," but for some reason now that I thought about it too much, I can't help but see it as "cry."

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always the three letters C. R. I.

Now you have me thinking about acronyms in general and which I would say as a word (Radar, Laser, Scuba), which I would say as the letters (XML, XM-L :), CRI, LED, IP), and if there is a rule about how to approach an unfamiliar one.

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
Ok, then how do you pronounce LED Lenser? I've heard it two ways, LED as in "lead" (the metal, not to guide a horse), or the individual letters L.E.D.?

Last edited:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it's supposed to be L E D Lenser, but I say Lead Lenser. I'm just lazy.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, then how do you pronounce LED Lenser? I've heard it two ways, LED as in "lead" (the metal, not to guide a horse), or the individual letters L.E.D.?

Good point. I say L. E. D. for LED but also say LED LENSER as 'Led' LENSER

One reason I would say for this is because I've never seen LED LENSER written L.E.D. LENSER and don't believe the company name is actually 'Light Emitting Diode LENSER' (correct me if I'm wrong). As LED LENSER is a company name, and not an actual acronym, it makes sense to say it as a word not as letters.

gladis

Newly Enlightened
I always thought the R in CRI stood for rendering, could be wrong though.

Either way I say "Cee Arr Aye"

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I always think of LED Lenser as "Lead Lenser," maybe because I used to work in a record store and got used to saying Led Zeppelin. :)

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends - is it an acronym or an abbreviation? An abbreviation is a set of letters that stand for something. An acronym is an abbreviation that is also a name. Examples:

CIA is an abbreviation if you say it "See Eye Ay." If you pronounce it "Scia" (Like "Kia") then it would be an acronym.
NASA is a classic acronym for National Air and Space Administration. If you called it "Enn Ay Ess Ay" then it would be an abbreviation.
"Ell Eee Dee" is an abbreviation, "Led" would be the acronym.

Few brands bother with telling people whether their abbreviations are also acronyms. It's kind of a customer relations or brand management thing. Many names are mixed; like BF Goodrich. Some names are backronyms, like "GIMP" (Gnome Image Editing Program) where an abbreviation is made up for a name to be a clever acronym. That contains another backronym, "Gnome."

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
It depends - is it an acronym or an abbreviation? An abbreviation is a set of letters that stand for something. An acronym is an abbreviation that is also a name. Examples:

CIA is an abbreviation if you say it "See Eye Ay." If you pronounce it "Scia" (Like "Kia") then it would be an acronym.
NASA is a classic acronym for National Air and Space Administration. If you called it "Enn Ay Ess Ay" then it would be an abbreviation.
"Ell Eee Dee" is an abbreviation, "Led" would be the acronym.

Few brands bother with telling people whether their abbreviations are also acronyms. It's kind of a customer relations or brand management thing. Many names are mixed; like BF Goodrich. Some names are backronyms, like "GIMP" (Gnome Image Editing Program) where an abbreviation is made up for a name to be a clever acronym. That contains another backronym, "Gnome."

Great explanation, thanks!