Acebeam        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nichia high-CRI Zebralight mod? Anyone done it?

Icon15 Re: Nichia high-CRI Zebralight mod? Anyone done it?

Quote Originally Posted by Match View Post
    Ok.

H51 disassembled:

H51 with new nichia219 reflowed and awaiting final reassembly:

Fully assembled H51 but now with more CRI goodness (bad phone photo, the lens/reflector are not cloudy):

Please disregard the shape of my poor H51. It saw a lot of rough use before the swap, and none of that damage was caused by the mod.

A few things to note:
    - The bezel is press fit.
    - The stock emitter pcb is screwed down to the head.
    - The reflector is also press fit, but comes out easily enough with a few gentle taps.
    - The lens dimensions are 18mm x 1mm
    - The nichia219 was reflowed onto the stock pcb.

As with most xpg to nichia mods, the hotspot is now slightly more diffuse - which most may find that to be a good thing. Output is less and of course the color rendition and tint speak for themselves.

Why havent you replied to your peers as to how you actually opened this up! been searching online for hours to find out how.

Sorry for the thread revival
    What's the difference between a lawn mower and a bagpipe? You can tune a lawn mower.

Default Re: Nichia high-CRI Zebralight mod? Anyone done it?

I think all you needed to know was "bezel is press fit" and the dent seen in the lowermost photo. By my educated guess, he inserted a sharp tool between the body and the bezel, drove it in with a small hammer perhaps, and picked it off when the bezel became loose. Put everything back together using jaw vise or something.

Not sure if this will help, but it might get you going in the right direction:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ght-w-o-damage

Quote Originally Posted by stp View Post
    I

Yes epoxy is the easiest way but it's my EDC so I would prefer it to stay streamlined and pleasant visually ;-) that can be hard with epoxy.
    Another possible solution could be drilling few small holes around bezel end epoxying cylinder shaped neodymium magnets. But I'm not even sure if magnets that small (1-2 mm in diameter) are available.

I prefer the form factor of the ZL and its interface over current Spark models so this is not solution for me.
    Im looking to make some magnetic diffusers utilising the steel ring on zebralights. Has no one done this or can you buy them somewhere? Might do a few with lenses to widen the beam for walking too. I did try to search but got weird results lol

Quote Originally Posted by leggera16 View Post
    Im looking to make some magnetic diffusers utilising the steel ring on zebralights. Has no one done this or can you buy them somewhere? Might do a few with lenses to widen the beam for walking too. I did try to search but got weird results lol
    Sounds like a nice idea, but make sure that the ZL bezel is magnetic itself. I just tried on the three that I have with me (an SC600 Mk III, an H52w, and an H502w), and none of those bezels will hold a magnet. Many stainless steels are like this--they don't respond to magnets.

So you might need to replace the bezel, too.

The LEDs of all current Zebralight lights sit on the driver pcb. The pcbs have electrical components on both sides (at least in the samller SC6x models). This makes removing just the LED rather difficult (vinhnguyen54 has done it on a SC6330 though by fixating the bottom side components with capton tape). In addition to this most current Zebralights have 6V or 12V emitters. Older models with a 3V LED had the XM-L2 which has a different footprint than the 3V Nichias.

Of all the current lights only the new SC64c (which already has a Cree high-cri LED) can be modded with a 3V Nichia because it has a 3V XP-L2 LED.
    The Zebralight with XHP50(.2) LEDs can be modded with a Nichia 144A LED, although one first needs to finde out in what electrical configuration (6V or 12V) the XHP50 is used. The Nichia 144A has to be bought in the correct configuration (it only has two contacts instead of four). Only the 6V version is easy to get.

Unenlightened

I'd love to have one with this mod without a doubt

I have a modded Armytek Prime C2 Pro (similar to Zebra SC62) modded with a Nichia 219B-V1 with the stock 3A driver. It now gets hot much, much faster and throttles down in a shorter amount of time. For most people I would reccomend going with the Nichia 219C as it is much more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by lampeDépêche View Post
    Sounds like a nice idea, but make sure that the ZL bezel is magnetic itself. I just tried on the three that I have with me (an SC600 Mk III, an H52w, and an H502w), and none of those bezels will hold a magnet. Many stainless steels are like this--they don't respond to magnets.

So you might need to replace the bezel, too.
    Ah ok it does look like that sort of steel that doesnt stick. Odd? Maybe I can add one ring to the light and one to the lenses. Got the sc600w XHP50.2 ordered so will decide which one to mod once its here (old one is mkii L2) . I just sometimes want the road lit from edge to edge and no spill blinding other walkers. Almost like the 10 dollar zoomies lol. Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12