Imalent
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maglite Pro 2D LED

Default Maglite Pro 2D LED

I noticed this light is for sale on REI and Home Depot's websites. Has anyone bought it? Seems like a great light for less than $40 and 270 lumens.

Default Re: Maglite Pro 2D LED

I looked on Home Depots site, couldn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor Factor View Post
    I bought one from The Sports Authority last month and ended up returning it a couple of weeks later. It is a nice light but it's not 270 lumens. That is a bunch of bull. I don't think it is even 170 lumens. I have got Surefires and Inovas that are 200 lumens and above and the Maglite 2D Pro was not brighter by comparison.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Get one if you like the light but just to large of a light and not bright enough.

Maglite is using the Fl1 Standard for their lumen ratings. It's possible that you got a bad sample but I think it's more likely than not that the lights are putting out about what they claim.

Bummer. I had hoped that Maglite was starting to make competitive products. The throws already there for the D-Cell lights, just not the raw output.

Bummer. I had hoped that Maglite was starting to make competitive products. The throws already there for the D-Cell lights, just not the raw output.
    270 ANSI lumens with crazy throw, running off 2D alkalines and made in the USA for $40... That qualifies as competitive to me.
    "Push back the night" - Bob Weir

Elk Grove Village, IL, United States of America

The Malkoff XM-L drop-in has the output, and the MagLed has the deep reflector for throw. Combine them for the perfect combo if it's possible. I proofed/mocked it up but so far have not shoehorned them together yet.

Quote Originally Posted by lightinsky View Post
    I bought one from The Sports Authority last month and ended up returning it a couple of weeks later. It is a nice light but it's not 270 lumens. That is a bunch of bull. I don't think it is even 170 lumens. I have got Surefires and Inovas that are 200 lumens and above and the Maglite 2D Pro was not brighter by comparison.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Get one if you like the light but just to large of a light and not bright enough.
    Curious, but did you test it properly? Mag go through extensive 3rd party testing, so I think their claims are hugely unlikely to be bull.
    I'm as much Magaholic as flashaholic

Why bummer? Read the post above yours. Mag are ANSI FL1 rated, so it is highly likely it is 270 lumens. As for competitive, depends what you want it to compete with and why.

i also picked up one of these. it does not equal even a surefire u2 rated at 200 lm. to the eye, it looks similar to the terralux conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by bladesmith3 View Post
    i also picked up one of these. it does not equal even a surefire u2 rated at 200 lm. to the eye, it looks similar to the terralux conversion.
    Have you tried a ceiling bounce test? Just curious.
    "Push back the night" - Bob Weir

Well if it's 270 lumens otf then it is a good product indeed. I was just going of what Lightinsky said. The malkoff dropin would double the price of the light, although it would be worth it.

Flashaholic

Wow, they've quickened their pace in updating. I still have a 2d (Lux 3) and a 3d Rebel here. Instead of buying one new light here and there, I'm just gonna wait and score the ML 125, MM Pro+, 2D Pro, and the not yet out lights all at once and save the shipping. It'll ber another year before Canada sees half this stuff. You'd think they were coming by sled dogs.....

I'd like to see some runtime graphs before deciding if the 270 lumens is worth it. Remember the Mini Mag Pro + and how fast it dropped from 100%?

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post3889993
    Who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    I'd like to see some runtime graphs before deciding if the 270 lumens is worth it. Remember the Mini Mag Pro + and how fast it dropped from 100%?

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post3889993
    The size of the light, cheap plastic lense and run time dropping out of regulation and of course I didn't believe the lumens ratings. I'm sticking with my Inova XO3's and Surefires.

Quote Originally Posted by lightinsky View Post
    The size of the light, cheap plastic lense and run time dropping out of regulation and of course I didn't believe the lumens ratings. I'm sticking with my Inova XO3's and Surefires.
    But it is regulated, it's just a different kind of regulation. You can always turn it off and back on too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Drumstick View Post
    But it is regulated, it's just a different kind of regulation. You can always turn it off and back on too.
    Ok I'll give you that. Regulated to some extent after a big drop off in output. Still lumens claims are not accurate.

How you mean? It meets the ANSI FL1 ratings.

Flashaholic

I saw this at Sports Authority the other day. It appears to be a CREE XPG led.
    Surefire E2E,L4,C2,M2,Z2,Z3,G2,G2Z,G3,9P,6P,6PD,6PX/Malkoff MDC,M91,M61,M61W,M61NL,2C,3-6D/Sportac 3xXPG2,3xNichia,XML2/EDC+ X60L U2,T6/Fenix TK35,LD22,E21,E11,E05,MC11/4Sevens AA2,MiNiX/Solarforce MP Pro-2,L2P,L2T/Nitecore E3 R2/Inova X03,X1/Mag 4D,3D,3C,2D,2C

Quote Originally Posted by Retinator View Post
    It'll ber another year before Canada sees half this stuff. You'd think they were coming by sled dogs.....
    You got to be joking. Canada does not get stuff until they are discontinued in the US. With the slow pace of Mag development it will be years.

Where in Canada did you get your 3d Rebel?
    I managed a 3W upgrade bulb for my 2C. That was it.
    Last time I was in Crappy Tire they had incan 2D, 3D, Minimag (the 1986 model year version).
    I saw a 2D LED at Home Depot. Do not know which version. Hard to ID the LED through the blister pack.

I finally gave up and got a MM Pro at zbattery. Plus an accessory kit. Customs prepaid so I do not have a surprise customs brokerage fee. (zbattery was out of the Pro+ at the time.)
    The MM Pro is brighter than my Quark MiNi 2AA (180 lumens).
    The MM Pro is dimmer than my Quark Tactical 2AA X (280 lumens).
    So I think the 225 lumen rating is more or less accurate.

-----

BTW how hard is it for you to get to High Park in Toronto? The Toronto gang is starting to hold meetings again.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-9-13-2012-7PM

I would agree about the "slow sled" to Canada for Mag products, but there may be hope. Just weeks after someone posted about the Cree upgrade(a long time ago) I found 3D Cree Mags at Home Depot in Toronto. You can identify the emitters if you angle the package. I see 3D Cree and Rebel Mags at many GTA Home Depot stores.

This is on brightguy.com now. Would appreciate someone reviewing. Question: Why do Maglite's new products take so long to get on their website after production (Mag Tac, 2D Pro etc.)?

Interesting:

Mag Lite LED Specs: Distance: 388m, 134Lumen, 37567 Candela, 8hr run time.
    Mag Lite Pro Specs: Distance: 366m, 274Lumens, 33560 Candela, 12

Have ansi specs changed or something? I would think a brighter light would throw farther.

Quote Originally Posted by El Camino View Post
    Interesting:

Mag Lite LED Specs: Distance: 388m, 134Lumen, 37567 Candela, 8hr run time.
    Mag Lite Pro Specs: Distance: 366m, 274Lumens, 33560 Candela, 12

Have ansi specs changed or something? I would think a brighter light would throw farther.
    Surface brightness dictates throw. Sheer output helps, but the more light per square mm the further it will throw. So, the XP-g may be "brighter" but only on output, not surface brightness.
    There can never be too much honey to lick off your fingers.

Flashaholic

I found my 3d rebel a couple of years ago at Lowes.

When everything is out I will be ordering (from US) :

Solitare LED
    2-AAA Mini LED
    2D Pro
    ML 100 2 C-cell version
    MM Pro +

I'll just wait till they're all out and pay 1 shipping cost, then I'll be good for a year or two.

The problem here in Canada isn't just the wait, the friggin prices are 50% or more higher and our dollar is roughly on par. Retail here really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jash View Post
    Surface brightness dictates throw. Sheer output helps, but the more light per square mm the further it will throw. So, the XP-g may be "brighter" but only on output, not surface brightness.
    Yep, just look at any XM-L vs XP-G variant of the same light (selfbuilts reviews). The XM-Ls might put out 50-80% more lumens, but lux and throw are usually a lot lower than the smaller emitters.

I would think Mag would want to select an LED that's well suited for throwing, as the D-Cell lights are known for tight throws. I'm eager to see side by side beam shots. Right now, the 2D Pro doesn't look like it's worth it unless you don't have a Mag D already. Perhaps real-world performance will justify the upgrade.

I've had issues-a-rama with Maglites since they changed the design of the internals. I simply don't trust them anymore.
    3 models of 2D - all failed. My ML 100 is acting flakey and flickering. I'll stick to my smaller than a 2D Maglite, Fenix TK-50.

I started to get excited about this Pro 2D LED; But at $40 retail, that's a bit steep. If it's on sale at Lowe's or Home Depot next month on Black Friday for 1/2 off MSRP, I may buy it. It'd be interesting to compare ceiling bounce tests between the 134 lumen 2D vs. this new one. Wondering if I could discern the difference in brightness to the naked eye from the extra 140 lumens?
    Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.