Maglite Pro 2D LED

Raptor Factor

Newly Enlightened
I noticed this light is for sale on REI and Home Depot's websites. Has anyone bought it? Seems like a great light for less than $40 and 270 lumens.

lightinsky

Enlightened

I bought one from The Sports Authority last month and ended up returning it a couple of weeks later. It is a nice light but it's not 270 lumens. That is a bunch of bull. I don't think it is even 170 lumens. I have got Surefires and Inovas that are 200 lumens and above and the Maglite 2D Pro was not brighter by comparison.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Get one if you like the light but just to large of a light and not bright enough.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite is using the Fl1 Standard for their lumen ratings. It's possible that you got a bad sample but I think it's more likely than not that the lights are putting out about what they claim.

Raptor Factor

Newly Enlightened
Bummer. I had hoped that Maglite was starting to make competitive products. The throws already there for the D-Cell lights, just not the raw output.

Phased_Array

Newly Enlightened
The Malkoff XM-L drop-in has the output, and the MagLed has the deep reflector for throw. Combine them for the perfect combo if it's possible. I proofed/mocked it up but so far have not shoehorned them together yet.
Bummer. I had hoped that Maglite was starting to make competitive products. The throws already there for the D-Cell lights, just not the raw output.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one from The Sports Authority last month and ended up returning it a couple of weeks later. It is a nice light but it's not 270 lumens. That is a bunch of bull. I don't think it is even 170 lumens. I have got Surefires and Inovas that are 200 lumens and above and the Maglite 2D Pro was not brighter by comparison.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Get one if you like the light but just to large of a light and not bright enough.

Curious, but did you test it properly? Mag go through extensive 3rd party testing, so I think their claims are hugely unlikely to be bull.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why bummer? Read the post above yours. Mag are ANSI FL1 rated, so it is highly likely it is 270 lumens. As for competitive, depends what you want it to compete with and why.

bladesmith3

Enlightened
i also picked up one of these. it does not equal even a surefire u2 rated at 200 lm. to the eye, it looks similar to the terralux conversion.

Raptor Factor

Newly Enlightened
Well if it's 270 lumens otf then it is a good product indeed. I was just going of what Lightinsky said. The malkoff dropin would double the price of the light, although it would be worth it.

Retinator

Enlightened
Wow, they've quickened their pace in updating. I still have a 2d (Lux 3) and a 3d Rebel here. Instead of buying one new light here and there, I'm just gonna wait and score the ML 125, MM Pro+, 2D Pro, and the not yet out lights all at once and save the shipping. It'll ber another year before Canada sees half this stuff. You'd think they were coming by sled dogs.....

lightinsky

Enlightened

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
The size of the light, cheap plastic lense and run time dropping out of regulation and of course I didn't believe the lumens ratings. I'm sticking with my Inova XO3's and Surefires.
But it is regulated, it's just a different kind of regulation. You can always turn it off and back on too.