SureFire UNR Commander

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since this light is now available, let's discuss this light here. :)

Detailed Specifications

• Output (Li-Ion): 800 lumens high, 500 lumens medium high, 140 lumens medium low, 30 lumens low
  • Output (123A): 450 lumens high, 450 lumens medium high, 130 lumens medium low, 30 lumens low
  • Intensity: 20,000 candela
  • Runtime (Li-Ion): 1h 15min high, 2h 30min medium high, 6h 30min medium low, 22h 45min low
  • Runtime (123A): 1h 15min high, 1h 30min medium high, 5h 15min medium low, 15h 30min low
  • Battery: Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery or 2 x 123A
  • Length: 9.4″
  • Diameter: 1.6″ bezel, 1.1″ body
  • Weight with Batteries: 12.0 oz.
  • MSRP: $595
  • Actual Pricing: ~$450
  • Expected Availability: September 2012

Here's a preview, and the link to our full review can be found at bottom of this post.

UNR_Runtime.png

UNR_Runtime_High.png

UNR_Runtime_MedHigh.png

UNR_Runtime_MedLow.png

http://www.led-resource.com/2012/10/surefire-unr-commander-review/

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
This seems to almost completely overlap with the UBR as far as position in the product line. You think that one'll be released in the end?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's another $100 more than the UNR, but the turbohead (and two extra modes) should be enough to differentiate the UBR.

I'll check with SureFire to confirm, but at the moment, I think it's due to be released in 1-2 months.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, it would have been better for the medium high to be around 300 lumens instead (which reminds me about the programming dongle...).

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Runtime graphs have been added.

Unfortunately, I think the UNR might get delayed...I've found a glitch in the control ring, and SureFire has been able to replicate it on another unit. :ohgeez: Waiting on a reply from Engineering...

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great job as always Robin24k.

Too bad these are all so looong!

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Runtime graphs have been added.

Unfortunately, I think the UNR might get delayed...I've found a glitch in the control ring, and SureFire has been able to replicate it on another unit. :ohgeez: Waiting on a reply from Engineering...

On my Commander, the 500lumen mode was completely dead. I wonder if it could be related to your glitch?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's something different, and probably one-off. Do you remember what the serial number was?

As for the one I found, it was that the light would turn off under specific conditions because there is a dead spot between the Minimum and Medium Low modes.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's something different, and probably one-off. Do you remember what the serial number was?

As for the one I found, it was that the light would turn off under specific conditions because there is a dead spot between the Minimum and Medium Low modes.

Not sure of the exact number, but it was 020XX (xx=I dont remember the exact number).

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my replacement. Some quick observations:

--It's long, but not unbalanced, and not too heavy.
--I'd a bit concerned over the protruding switch and rubber boot. I guess that piece's longevity is yet to be determined.
--There is not a lot of perceived difference between the 500 and 800 Lu. modes. Also note: When using 123's there's no output difference between MAX and the third level (500Lu mode when using the rechargeable battery).
--It is VERY bright. The optic gives a different beam quality when compared to the R1. Although, the difference isn't as dramatic as some of SF's other optic based lights (when compared to a reflector based light). The UNR has a lot of spill, combined with a large center hotspot that has some distortion patterns around it..
--Overall, I'm pleased with the light and SF's extremely fast repair/replace turnaround time.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's very close, but the UNR does have a tighter beam than the R1.
Considering that it uses a TIR optic, I am real surprised that the beam is pretty close in intensity to the R1. Is the four-way tail cap nice? Do you think it will be tough considering all the extra movements it is made to do?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It feels sturdy, but can be prone to damage if you carry the light in an open-bottom holster. Since it's an electronic switch, it should be more reliable than mechanical ones.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
It feels sturdy, but can be prone to damage if you carry the light in an open-bottom holster. Since it's an electronic switch, it should be more reliable than mechanical ones.
Thanks Robin. I always thought that will be a mechanical switch.