ArmyTek

Thread: Quark XP-G2 vs Quark XP-G (beamshot)

Default Quark XP-G2 vs Quark XP-G (beamshot)

G2 is the QTA Gen2

G is the Quark AA R5

Both at MAX running 14500

Yeah I know poor quality pic. Sony is still fixing my main cam and my Minolta backup just broke yesterday

Dunno if you can see it but G2 definitely has a tighter and brighter hotspot. Shining them at some distant trees the throw is definitely improved

Even on a ceiling bounce eyeball test the G2 is noticeably brighter. Not as much of an improvement as the throw but still detectable with human eyes
    Last edited by Overclocker; 09-26-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Quark XP-G2 vs Quark XP-G (beamshot)

I've seen people saying 50% increases in lux with XPG2. That sure looks like it to me.
    Vinh K40. Vinh Eye40. Vinh S6330. Vihn X10. Vinh TX25C2. Vinh RRT-01. Vihn XM-L2 P60 Thrower (40K Lux!!) Three Oveready Z2's. One Oveready C2. Two Zebralight H31's.

Any noticeable difference in the spill? Reflector design and orange peel about the same between the two? How about pre-flash (and Li-ion reset time) on your example... both were fixed on the XML versions, but heard they were not on the G2s.

Flashaholic*

Thank you for that, looks to have more neutral tint as well.

Why, why, why do people always post 2ft away wall shots? Tells me absolutely nothing except what the light looks like 2ft from the wall. Doesn't even really show relative brightness that well. From that distance all lights look bright. Says nothing of the beam shape over distance, hotspot size, etc.

Get some depth. Go out back and shoot the fence from about 50ft or something for some perspective.

Thanks for the effort.
    Last edited by Brasso; 09-26-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Flashaholic*

true, but then, this is one of the few possibilities to "see" the difference.

Both light powered up at the same time, the cam sets the pic value to the brighter light and the less bright one also does look less bright, as in reality.

When there is much more distance, it might be more difficult,
    or the objects illumintated are not the same and thus trick the output,

Flashaholic*

Perfectly fine. It's all relative. Very useful photo to me.
    Vinh K40. Vinh Eye40. Vinh S6330. Vihn X10. Vinh TX25C2. Vinh RRT-01. Vihn XM-L2 P60 Thrower (40K Lux!!) Three Oveready Z2's. One Oveready C2. Two Zebralight H31's.

Much as I would prefer outdoor and real life beam shots as I tend to do all the time, I still think that the above photo is good enough. At least the hotspot is well represented and not way overblown in details. Thanks for the photo.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Overclocker - Thank you for taking time to get pictures of these lights! I have similar questions about the apparent orange-peeliness and depth of these reflectors. If you tailstand the lights side-by-side and take some 'perspective' photos in macro mode (Angled, maybe with the LED 'just' seeming to peek from behind the bezel), that might show it.

As with all cameras, there are limits to what can be shown. For instance, cameras will tend to exaggerate relative brightness and CCT, depending on exact chromaticity or luminosity curves or something. But this gives a good impression to back up certain lux claims we've seen. This really excites me for the potential of the Quark Minis (What are they called now?) to have throwier EDC patterns.
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    Why, why, why do people always post 2ft away wall shots? Tells me absolutely nothing except what the light looks like 2ft from the wall. Doesn't even really show relative brightness that well. From that distance all lights look bright. Says nothing of the beam shape over distance, hotspot size, etc.

Get some depth. Go out back and shoot the fence from about 50ft or something for some perspective.

Thanks for the effort.

as requested

Quote Originally Posted by Overclocker View Post

as requested
    Man, that's bright!

Well, I guess you posted something. I don't know why I can't see it, but thanks. All I see is a black box.

Samething here in Canada we see only a black box.
    Last edited by CampingMaster; 09-26-2012 at 08:53 PM.
    Will never be caught in the dark... always my FOURSEVENS Quark model QP2L-X w/Burst LED torch with me. (With CREE XM-L2 T6).

It was dark out.

black box, that's all i get out of a distance shot using a crappy phone cam LOL

need to buy a decent cam, sony is taking forever to fix mine under warranty. might get a nikon P310, samsung WB750, or nikon 1 J1 this weekend... still deciding

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    Any noticeable difference in the spill? Reflector design and orange peel about the same between the two? How about pre-flash (and Li-ion reset time) on your example... both were fixed on the XML versions, but heard they were not on the G2s.

G2 has brighter spill as well. reflector seems unchanged, but texturing of course varies from sample to sample.

pre-flash still there (which was also present in my 13 or so XM-L samples). doesn't bother me

li-ion reset time is unchanged, about 15 seconds

I have a 4000k nailbender coming. I'll try and get pics of it.

See how it looks compared to a regular M61 and a P91.

Thank your sharing, I too have found my XP-G2's to be a little on the warm side. I find the beam profile to be a little nicer too

pre-flash still there (which was also present in my 13 or so XM-L samples). doesn't bother me
    Hmmm interesting... I notice a tiny (like 1 lumen) preflash only on moonlight on my XMLs, even from a different brand. But I have one XPG R5 that pre-flashes at Max on moon and low... that one bothers me. Sounds like G2 is more toward the mini pre-flash.

Thanks for the response.

Got one xp-g2 from hank. The 4sevens xpg2 light doesn't all runtimes listed. I would think it should be able to do 120 lumens for 6 hours, optimistically.

The tint of all my xp-g's/xp-g2 are really acceptable for painting. Not quite as great as my xp-c's, but quite nice/neutral to my tastes. I got my first xm-l t6, and the tint is too far on the blue side, near as bad as the lux 1 generation.. The xp-g2 (for what ever reason) puts out more light than the t6 xml, anyway- same or less drive levels. No comparison on throw or usefulness.
    Some people are all lumens and no lux, while others are all lux and no lumens. Some just thank God they have neither.-- All of my lights have throw--some pretty darn far, into the garbage.

The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhone in the other

as requested
    Classic...
    And Teeming With Souls Shall It Ever Be.
    NOTICE: I'm a guy. Im to poor to buy cheap.
    Aeon- Smaller, Brighter, Better...

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    Hmmm interesting... I notice a tiny (like 1 lumen) preflash only on moonlight on my XMLs, even from a different brand. But I have one XPG R5 that pre-flashes at Max on moon and low... that one bothers me. Sounds like G2 is more toward the mini pre-flash.

Thanks for the response.

all my quarks have that "mini" preflash. unless you run at turbo, turn off, then turn on at moonlight, in which case it becomes a real preflash

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by degarb View Post
    Got one xp-g2 from hank. The 4sevens xpg2 light doesn't all runtimes listed. I would think it should be able to do 120 lumens for 6 hours, optimistically.
    I think the runtimes are the same as the old model, only with more output. If the driver are the same as the old version, runtimes will be the same.

This really excites me for the potential of the Quark Minis (What are they called now?) to have throwier EDC patterns.
    Oh yeah.
    Love my old xp-e quark mini, got rid of all my xp-g minis. They dident come close to the xp-e version in terms of throw. Maby the xp-g2 will come closer.

Flashaholic

Runtime must be awesome
    Last edited by flashlight chronic; 09-28-2012 at 08:28 AM.
    Surefire E2E,L4,C2,M2,Z2,Z3,G2,G2Z,G3,9P,6P,6PD,6PX/Malkoff MDC,M91,M61,M61W,M61NL,2C,3-6D/Sportac 3xXPG2,3xNichia,XML2/EDC+ X60L U2,T6/Fenix TK35,LD22,E21,E11,E05,MC11/4Sevens AA2,MiNiX/Solarforce MP Pro-2,L2P,L2T/Nitecore E3 R2/Inova X03,X1/Mag 4D,3D,3C,2D,2C