Quark XP-G2 vs Quark XP-G (beamshot)

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
2hnz8cm.jpg

G2 is the QTA Gen2

G is the Quark AA R5

Both at MAX running 14500

Yeah I know poor quality pic. Sony is still fixing my main cam and my Minolta backup just broke yesterday :(

Dunno if you can see it but G2 definitely has a tighter and brighter hotspot. Shining them at some distant trees the throw is definitely improved

Even on a ceiling bounce eyeball test the G2 is noticeably brighter. Not as much of an improvement as the throw but still detectable with human eyes

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any noticeable difference in the spill? Reflector design and orange peel about the same between the two? How about pre-flash (and Li-ion reset time) on your example... both were fixed on the XML versions, but heard they were not on the G2s.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why, why, why do people always post 2ft away wall shots? Tells me absolutely nothing except what the light looks like 2ft from the wall. Doesn't even really show relative brightness that well. From that distance all lights look bright. Says nothing of the beam shape over distance, hotspot size, etc.

Get some depth. Go out back and shoot the fence from about 50ft or something for some perspective.

Thanks for the effort.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
true, but then, this is one of the few possibilities to "see" the difference.

Both light powered up at the same time, the cam sets the pic value to the brighter light and the less bright one also does look less bright, as in reality.

When there is much more distance, it might be more difficult,
or the objects illumintated are not the same and thus trick the output,

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Much as I would prefer outdoor and real life beam shots as I tend to do all the time, I still think that the above photo is good enough. At least the hotspot is well represented and not way overblown in details. Thanks for the photo.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Overclocker - Thank you for taking time to get pictures of these lights! I have similar questions about the apparent orange-peeliness and depth of these reflectors. If you tailstand the lights side-by-side and take some 'perspective' photos in macro mode (Angled, maybe with the LED 'just' seeming to peek from behind the bezel), that might show it.

As with all cameras, there are limits to what can be shown. For instance, cameras will tend to exaggerate relative brightness and CCT, depending on exact chromaticity or luminosity curves or something. But this gives a good impression to back up certain lux claims we've seen. This really excites me for the potential of the Quark Minis (What are they called now?) to have throwier EDC patterns.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why, why, why do people always post 2ft away wall shots? Tells me absolutely nothing except what the light looks like 2ft from the wall. Doesn't even really show relative brightness that well. From that distance all lights look bright. Says nothing of the beam shape over distance, hotspot size, etc.

Get some depth. Go out back and shoot the fence from about 50ft or something for some perspective.

Thanks for the effort.

6nw3n6.jpg

as requested ;)

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I guess you posted something. I don't know why I can't see it, but thanks. All I see is a black box. :)

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
black box, that's all i get out of a distance shot using a crappy phone cam LOL

need to buy a decent cam, sony is taking forever to fix mine under warranty. might get a nikon P310, samsung WB750, or nikon 1 J1 this weekend... still deciding

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any noticeable difference in the spill? Reflector design and orange peel about the same between the two? How about pre-flash (and Li-ion reset time) on your example... both were fixed on the XML versions, but heard they were not on the G2s.

G2 has brighter spill as well. reflector seems unchanged, but texturing of course varies from sample to sample.

pre-flash still there (which was also present in my 13 or so XM-L samples). doesn't bother me

li-ion reset time is unchanged, about 15 seconds

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 4000k nailbender coming. I'll try and get pics of it.

See how it looks compared to a regular M61 and a P91.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank your sharing, I too have found my XP-G2's to be a little on the warm side. I find the beam profile to be a little nicer too :)

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
pre-flash still there (which was also present in my 13 or so XM-L samples). doesn't bother me

Hmmm interesting... I notice a tiny (like 1 lumen) preflash only on moonlight on my XMLs, even from a different brand. But I have one XPG R5 that pre-flashes at Max on moon and low... that one bothers me. Sounds like G2 is more toward the mini pre-flash.

Thanks for the response.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got one xp-g2 from hank. The 4sevens xpg2 light doesn't all runtimes listed. I would think it should be able to do 120 lumens for 6 hours, optimistically.

The tint of all my xp-g's/xp-g2 are really acceptable for painting. Not quite as great as my xp-c's, but quite nice/neutral to my tastes. I got my first xm-l t6, and the tint is too far on the blue side, near as bad as the lux 1 generation.. The xp-g2 (for what ever reason) puts out more light than the t6 xml, anyway- same or less drive levels. No comparison on throw or usefulness.