Tweaking dynamo circuit

jack in the matrix

Newly Enlightened
On my commuter, I'm running 2 XMLs and a taillight (19 red LEDs in parallel-2.1 Vf), off a Shimano dynamo hub using Martins circuit 7 (for 2 LEDs), including Frontrangers standlight circuit (1F 5.5V supercap between the LEDS with a diode string to lower Vf to 5.5V, and an output resistor-one LED stays on when stopped). Wired the taillight in series before that headlight so it stays on too. I used 3 silicon and 1 shottky diode for the string (to drop from 8 Vf), and a 47 ohm output resistor. Works quite well, but the standlights stay on way longer than necessary (at least 5 minutes of acceptable light-I only need a couple) and could always be brighter, especially the headlight. So, I dropped the output resistor to 22 ohms, but see little difference. Should I go lower still? If I wired the taillight after the headlight would the headlight be brighter? Thanks for any input. As is, I'm loving the dynamo.

steveo_mcg

Newly Enlightened
I suspect your cap has a very high internal resistance that limits how much current the emitter receives. In a test I did earlier in the year i was running a warm white for a few minutes with out a resistor. Might be worth just sticking in a very small value resistor and seeing what happens.

jack in the matrix

Newly Enlightened
Thank-you for your insight steveo_mcg. I have learned from these forums that there are 2 kinds of supercaps. I didn't know what kind mine was (it was only $2 at a local electronics surplus store), but I suspect you are correct, and will try a much smaller value resistor. Thanks again.