PEAK
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: smallest xp-g2 light out now?

Default Re: smallest xp-g2 light out now?

sounds like a nice light! the eagletac is rated at 230 though...did you do side by side?

Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    First off, I don't know of a place that actually has the D25C Mini XP-G2 in stock and shipping in the US. Secondly, the Quark Mini-ML has gotten an XP-G2 upgrade. It is 216 OTF vs 230 OTF for the D25C Mini XP-G2. I have the XP-G2 Mini ML and it is a great, very small light. It's 14 lumens shy of the D25C XP-G2, but it's a smaller light. Also, it's clipless. It just depends on what your needs are. The Foursevens looks to be out of stock, but I got one about 3 weeks ago.
    I am well aware of the XP-G2 upgrade in the Foursevens lights, as I have both the Foursevens Quark mini ML XP-G2 and Eagletac D25C mini twisty XP-G2. I have always liked the Quark line since itís humble begins with the XP-E R2 LED. With the rebranding, the names of the lights have changed along with the Logo and website.

I am using a single AW IMR 16340 cell in my Eagletac D25C mini XP-G2. Which is around 580 lumens. When I compare this to my Quark mini ML XP-G2 is completely blows it away. I can see why people get caught up in just lumen numbers, but I find that it is more useful to compare lumens, lux and the beam profile in order to make my own mind up. My D25C mini XP-G2 twisty has itís clip removed for even more compact dimensions. The Quark is a little smaller, but for such a huge improvement, I can live with a much brighter but slightly longer D25C mini. The beam profile of the D25C lights up everything much better. At least it does in my experience.

Perhaps other peoples findings are different?

Well said. How are you getting 580 out of that baby? I thought xpg2 were rated at like 510 emitter lumens?

Quote Originally Posted by mr.lumen View Post
    Well said. How are you getting 580 out of that baby? I thought xpg2 were rated at like 510 emitter lumens?
    That would depend upon how hard the LED is driven and 580 is ANSI FL1 (real lumens).

This is why I like the D25C mini twisty and clicky XP-G2. It makes almost every other of my single EDC CR123A / 16340 lights look bad and I have more than 80 of them.

I am getting 580 lumens by using a single AW IMR 16340. Please feel free to try it yourself. It is a real eye opener.

damn right i will! thats awesome now im even moooore excited i got it

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE LED View Post
    I am getting 580 lumens by using a single AW IMR 16340. Please feel free to try it yourself. It is a real eye opener.

Default smallest xp-g2 light out now?

Don't the ET D25s go direct drive on Li-ions losing most of the lower modes? I thought that's what I read on Selfbuilt's review of the D25C clicky. Course the Quark Minis aren't rated at all for Li-ions.

Interesting thread. BlLUE LED's numbers are quite believable to me, based on my testing. But to put things in perspective, the currently available XP-G2 emitters are only 1-2 output bins higher than the previously available XP-Gs.

Cree has changed how they do the bin numbering. But in essence, a XP-G2 R3 is equivalent in output to a XP-G R5, when driven to comparable levels. Similarly, a XP-G2 R4 is equivalent to a XP-G S2. So the current top-of-the-line XP-G2 R5 is just the next output bin up (i.e. equivalent to what a XP-G S3 would have been, if such a beast had ever been made).

The point is that XP-G2 should have additional headroom for higher output bins down the road - but right now, we are just talking about one or two bins up from what we are used to in XP-G. Please see my Foursevens XP-G2 review thread for more info.

That is certainly believable to me, based on my testing. With a stock XP-G S2, I estimated 530 lumens on my D25C clicky on RCR. The next bin step up would be expected to yield (on average) ~570 lumens.

Of course, as always, there is no way to know where my sample was within the S2 bin (or where any given XP-G2 R5 will be). Because of the bin range, any given XP-G2 R5 could be anywhere from as little as 1% brighter than a given XP-G S2 - or as great as 14% brighter.

Oh, and for those who were wondering, my older Quark Mini 123 with a XP-G R5 only gave me an estimated 250 lumens on RCR on Hi. On average, I would expect a XP-G R5 upgrade to net ~285 lumens in the same light. But again, not knowing where in the range either emitter fell, it could vary significantly from that either way. The Quark Mini was never designed to take the punishment the D25C clicky seems willing to inflict.

As an aside, the Foursevens QTLC (which replaced the Quark tactical 123) gave me an estimated ~300 lumens with a stock XP-G2. This is consistent - the regular Quark line was always driven slightly higher than the Mini line.

Personally, I find the major advantage of the XP-G2 at the moment to be in terms of throw - in lights designed to maximize throw (as BLUE LED has already pointed out earlier). As you will in my Foursevens QB2A Turbo comparison, the XP-G2 was only ~5% brighter than the XP-G model, but had ~15% more throw. This is due to the narrower beam angle on the XP-G2.

Eventually, higher output bins could be a big advantage. But I've never really bothered modding or upgrading a light for just one bin step difference in output ... it's typically too small to even notice (i.e. 7% on average, but anywhere from 1-14% in practice).

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    Don't the ET D25s go direct drive on Li-ions losing most of the lower modes? I thought that's what I read on Selfbuilt's review of the D25C clicky.
    Sort of - the lowest mode of the user-selected set persists, even with Li-ion (i.e. Moonlight, or Lo-1, depending on which group is selected). It is the Med and Hi levels that become identical to Turbo.
    Last edited by selfbuilt; 10-11-2012 at 08:39 PM.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Fenix LD60.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Once again selfbuilt you have done it. Thanks for all the info sir!

If memory serves me correctly. David bought the only available XP-G S3 and put them in the Quark special editions.

Thank you for the review Selfbuilt.

Mr Lumen, I hope you like the D25C XP-G2 twisty, as much as I like mine.

One important difference of XP-G2 over XP-G is the significantly lower Vf for a given current. (more like the XM-L here) May not make a difference for some lights but any boost (1aa or 2aa) should run more efficient and single cell li-ion that run higher currents should maintain output better as battery voltage drops.

Posts containing links have been deleted, please read the banner at the top of the page - Norm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12