Malkoff M60 changes?

N/Apower

Enlightened
Is this still identical to the module I bought back in 2008, or have any quiet improvements occurred with current production modules? What tint are the current ones?

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M61 replaced the M60 and I have to say, while I'm sure it's a fine product, I have no intention of buying any of the M61/91/SHO/etc since they all use reflectors AFAIK. I really like the optic used in the M60 and I would rather have that than a reflector. I'll take 235 lumen in an TIR optic over 260 out of a small-ish reflector.

Keep in mind that I have more than a few Malkoff products, including a P7 DD in a 6P and a Hound Dog XML. But I miss the optic modules. :(

N/Apower

Enlightened
The M61 replaced the M60 and I have to say, while I'm sure it's a fine product, I have no intention of buying any of the M61/91/SHO/etc since they all use reflectors AFAIK. I really like the optic used in the M60 and I would rather have that than a reflector. I'll take 235 lumen in an TIR optic over 260 out of a small-ish reflector.

Keep in mind that I have more than a few Malkoff products, including a P7 DD in a 6P and a Hound Dog XML. But I miss the optic modules. :(

The M60 is readily available if you want one.

I am just wanting to know if they made any updates between the one I had in 2008-ish, and the one's on sale now, in 2012, like a better bin of XR-E, or something.

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't heard of any changes.
I believe that the bin is still XRE-Q5, as far as I know.

However, you can't get them from Gene anymore. The M60 sales are now all coming from Elzetta, which is some kind of collaboration of Malkoff and the tactical host maker, Elzetta.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
+1

Elzetta is effectively making them under license. The case, optic, driver, etc are all the same, so potential improvements are from the LED. And the xre is/has not been improved so they are essentially identical.

N/Apower

Enlightened
+1

Elzetta is effectively making them under license. The case, optic, driver, etc are all the same, so potential improvements are from the LED. And the xre is/has not been improved so they are essentially identical.

Do you happen to know the material that the optic is made from? Mainly I am concerned with scratch/abrasion/chemical resistance as it will live in a VME head (open face) as a weapon-light a few inches from the back end of a suppressor on a 5.56x45 caliber 10.5" barrel SBR. It is going to get blow-back, CLP, and other things on it, and it will be cleaned with a T-shirt, pencil eraser, or other field-expedient thing of similar ilk.

fyrstormer

Banned
Maybe I'm crazy, but I still like the tint of cool-white XR-Es. I don't know what it is about them, maybe it's because they're the first high-power LEDs I ever experienced, but I like the tint. It strikes just the right balance between not being harsh but still being obviously an LED.

That being said, the M61 is available from Illumination Supply with a Nichia 219 Hi-CRI emitter, and that I'm going to have to try.

fyrstormer

Banned
Do you happen to know the material that the optic is made from? Mainly I am concerned with scratch/abrasion/chemical resistance as it will live in a VME head (open face) as a weapon-light a few inches from the back end of a suppressor on a 5.56x45 caliber 10.5" barrel SBR. It is going to get blow-back, CLP, and other things on it, and it will be cleaned with a T-shirt, pencil eraser, or other field-expedient thing of similar ilk.
It's acrylic, as far as I know. If you're concerned about damage, you can put a thin glass lense in front of the optic to prevent hot powder from burning into the optic.

N/Apower

Enlightened
Maybe I'm crazy, but I still like the tint of cool-white XR-Es. I don't know what it is about them, maybe it's because they're the first high-power LEDs I ever experienced, but I like the tint. It strikes just the right balance between not being harsh but still being obviously an LED.

That being said, the M61 is available from Illumination Supply with a Nichia 219 Hi-CRI emitter, and that I'm going to have to try.

These are hitting 1 amp at the LED, correct? Or are they something different?

I liked the tint of my original Malkoff M60, as well. I am buying another. I am curious if the tint has changed, and what it is/was. I don't remember other than that I thought well of it.

N/Apower

Enlightened
It's acrylic, as far as I know. If you're concerned about damage, you can put a thin glass lense in front of the optic to prevent hot powder from burning into the optic.

I did some googling...holy crap!

viewFile.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_20/544631_Burned_Lens_Polished_Back_to_Like_New.html
viewFile.html

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Is this still identical to the module I bought back in 2008, or have any quiet improvements occurred with current production modules? What tint are the current ones?
IMO the M61 is a considerable improvement over the M60 - the technical improvements are a somewhat greater overall output as well as a slightly more efficient emitter. The lower Vf of the newer emitter permits measurably greater output with a single LiIon cell compared to the older M60. Furthermore, many find that the beam from the M61 to be more useful (i.e. having considerably greater spill), myself included.

I would also suggest reading the following threads for more info, which include information as to availablity:
M60 still available

DRoc

Newly Enlightened
I like the M60, but I've never been too fond of the beam variations...for example, I have an M60 which has a super tight compact beam, while another M60 I have is more rounded and less precise...
Anyone else notice this?

DRoc

Newly Enlightened
Just use the lens/gasket with the M60...you MAY experience a hair less lumen due to passage of light through two lenses, but you'll have the protection you demand.
I tried it today (MD2) and it works just fine, can't see why it wouldnt in a VME head

[UOTE=N/Apower;4036500]Do you happen to know the material that the optic is made from? Mainly I am concerned with scratch/abrasion/chemical resistance as it will live in a VME head (open face) as a weapon-light a few inches from the back end of a suppressor on a 5.56x45 caliber 10.5" barrel SBR. It is going to get blow-back, CLP, and other things on it, and it will be cleaned with a T-shirt, pencil eraser, or other field-expedient thing of similar ilk.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I like the M60, but I've never been too fond of the beam variations...for example, I have an M60 which has a super tight compact beam, while another M60 I have is more rounded and less precise...
Anyone else notice this?
I have owned both & compared them side-by-side, I've seen what your talking about.
I believe that the older M60's used a tighter optic than the newer ones, 6 degree vs 8 degree? I can't recall, it's been a while. :shrug:

Last edited:

N/Apower

Enlightened
That's not much of a test, actually. Even though the alcohol is burning, it evaporates at such a low temperature that it will actually prevent the lense from getting very hot.

I have burned things with alcohol before and you are right. Mainly, I was impressed that alcohol on PMMA didn't destroy it. Color me chemically impressed, if not thermally.

Anyway, I got my M60 and M61 in. The M61 made me want to gag. I don't know why you guys like them. Cat-**** green and with very poor color-rendition as compared to my M600C and the M60. Output was feeble in the hot-spot region. I doubt this will throw literally half as far as my M600C or the Malkoff M60.

The Malkoff M60 impressed me. The beam was a little less "clean" than my M600C (E2DL), but a bit tighter. If they are a true 8* beam, my M600C would be a 10-11* beam, or if my M600C is an 8* beam, the Malkoff would be a 5-6* beam. I don't know which is which, it's tighter. Intensity seemed about the same, and spill was near identical. Over-all, it if I had bought another KX2C head, it could have varied "as much" from my current one as my M60 has. They are VERY VERY SIMILAR performers. So much so that I have no use for the M60. Equal run-times, apparently equal output in my apartment doing ceiling-bounce tests to my eyes, almost equal beam profiles, etc. The reason I stuck with the KX2C is it's OEM equipment and Surefire uses a better lens (COC vs. PMMA).

So...after all this, and many other modules, my KX2C...remains 100% OEM. The M61 gets a huge thumbs-down from me, and the M60 gets a tight nod of appreciation, especially considering when it was introduced.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you lost the tint lottery with your M61. Both mine have a slight greenish tint immediately surrounding the spot, but said spot is very white and the spill is slightly cool. It's there, but I only notice it on white walls, not in real use.

For well over a year, I've been considering getting an M60 to put into an M951 with A12 adapter for a 308 AR. The three CR123s would give nice run time. What's stopped me is the E2DL, with its low weight (in a LaRue offset mount), likely superior throw, and good run times.

I'll probably end up getting one for no other reason than to add to the Malkoff collection.

Grizz

DRoc

Newly Enlightened
I agree with you about the tint on the M61...mine is not bad, but there is a hint of green there...its my favorite beam profile though.
M60 tint is fantastic...no doubt about it. Throw is nice too..a few years later, its still pleasing.

N/Apower

Enlightened
Sounds like you lost the tint lottery with your M61. Both mine have a slight greenish tint immediately surrounding the spot, but said spot is very white and the spill is slightly cool. It's there, but I only notice it on white walls, not in real use.

For well over a year, I've been considering getting an M60 to put into an M951 with A12 adapter for a 308 AR. The three CR123s would give nice run time. What's stopped me is the E2DL, with its low weight (in a LaRue offset mount), likely superior throw, and good run times.

I'll probably end up getting one for no other reason than to add to the Malkoff collection.

Grizz

This is my exact setup, except I run the dedicated M600C in the LaRue offset.

I just ran the M60 and M600C outside. The M60 has brighter spill by a bit, but the M600C has a 150% larger hot-spot that also somehow manages to throw a tiny touch further and be more intense even though it's larger. No contest for a weapon-light.

The M61's beam is much less disgusting outside, where I can keep it away from anything white. It would make a poor weapon-light, though, and is much more suited to general-purpose or hiking or something.

Last edited: