**New** Coleman LED "tactical lights: CT 20 (200 lumens) and CT 50 (500 lumens max.)

groutboy_1

Enlightened
**New** Coleman LED "tactical lights: CT 20 (200 lumens) and CT 50 (500 lumens max.)

I recently took a trip to my local Walmart and found these new additions by Coleman. The CT 20 uses 2AAs, has a" Coleman tac grade optic", 200LMs on high, 50Lms on low. The light has a bright white, wide, undefined beam, very reminiscent of the early surefire L4 5watt Luxeon. Overall length is 6 inches, all black with red banding. Has a slight inova light look, and a narrow diameter bezel. Light has a rear type 2 stage clickie. Next up, The Coleman CT 50, claims 500LMs on high, and 100lms on low. It uses 6AA s, has large bezel with a smooth reflector. The lights overall length is 9 inches, and looks almost like one of the larger Diablo lights. I don't have any other lights brighter than 270lms, but CT 50 has modest throw, with a medium broad hotspot. It appears brighter than any of my other lights on high. I haven't posted here in many years. So, I guess I have to get another photobucket account so I post pictures of the lights and beam shots. Pending....

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: **New** Coleman LED "tactical lights: CT 20 (200 lumens) and CT 50 (500 lumens ma

I have been looking for the CT20, but not aware of the 50! It sounds like the Coleman light that I have had for about a year and a half. Mine uses 6AA's, is two stage, and is rated at 500 lumens max. The model I have has a MCE LED but there is no marking on it with any kind of model number. It is a great light! Maybe the CT50 is a new version of it with a different LED.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
What was the pricing like?

Posted using Tapatalk on my HTC Evo

DaveG

Enlightened
Re: **New** Coleman LED "tactical lights: CT 20 (200 lumens) and CT 50 (500 lumens ma

The CT50 scanned just under $50.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just saw the MC50 at Walmart. It is the same light I have had for about a year and a half, but the new version does not have a MCE. I cannot say what LED is in it, but the specs seemed the same. I may pick one up to compare because when I bought mine these FL1/ansi standard were not in place, so this new one may be a wee bit brighter!

my#1hobby

Enlightened

Would love to see some pictures. Might just have to take a trip to Walmart and see if they have any at my store.

StevenLVNV

Newly Enlightened

I went to a few Walmart stores in Las Vegas and can confirm seeing the same lights. The new CT 50 there was one hanging in one store, unfortunately the LED was way off center. Another walmart had one and its led was perfect centered so if your looking to buy this be proactive and look for a good one. Just having bought a 468 lumen jetbeam pa40. I do not see the need to buy the CT50. There both XM-L but the jetbeam's major advantage is it can fit in your pocket if necessary, the coleman you cannot the head is too wide and body too long realistically. Also I am sure this coleman has no regulation just like the Dorcy Xm-l 6 aa flashlight, theres rated at 618 lumens. I wonder why each brand has XM-l unregulated and 6aa but such different ansi ratings? I saw the graph of runtime and lumens on the dorcy it drops off big time and fast. The Jetbeam is regulated and can be found for 49 dollars or less. The CT-50 was 49.99. I bet it throws better having such a large lense it is bigger than a pa40 easily like double. Its also nice to see big cree led lights at walmart so anyone can have a decent light.

StevenLVNV

Newly Enlightened

Another interesting thing i noticed at walmart while looking at the new coleman lights is a change in packaging for two lights I own. The coleman max 144, which is a chunky looking 3aaa light and the coleman max 137 also known as the coleman max bubba. Both of these lights use cree xp-e emitters if im not mistaken. The thing i noticed about the packaging is it now looks like the newer ct series color scheme and graphics but its the old lights in the packages exactly, even the number on the coleman max 144 hasn't changed. The funny part is the old and new packages have varying ANSI ratings by a lot! and the old lights claimed ANSI fl1 standard so i wonder whos lying or what test changed to warrant the difference. The old packaging coleman max 144 was rated 144 lumens 115m throw and 6hrs runtime, the new package claims 150 lumens, 134m throw and 3 hrs run time. I bought the new one and it seems identical in brightness but the led is cool the other was a sort of whitish green tint but not like a 4300k neutral white, im assuming its crees outdoor white? Anyhow other than the led tint difference there identical so why i wonder is the runtime cut in half. I believe 3 hours sounds more correct for a 3aaa battery light at 150 lumens. Wonder why they had 6hrs on the old package yet still ansi rated claim.

The coleman max 137 is sort of the same it was 137 lumens now its 145, runtime was 26 hours now its 20hrs or more, again you lose several hours runtime. One light claims 6 lumens more the other 8. Anyways just something I noticed and not all walmart stores have the new packaging yet, ive seen some stores with the new tag on the peg hook with old package lights and some stores with the new lights only

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here are the two 500 lumen Coleman lights I have. The one of the left is one I have had for abut 1 1/2 years. The other is brand new from Wallmart.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now here are closeup shots of the front of each. First is the newer CT50:

Here is the older one:

I am pretty sure the older one is a MCE. They are both about the same brightness, but have a slightly different beam patterns. The newer one appears to have a slight edge in throw, and the beam is a bit cleaner. Tint is about the same, cool white maybe.

BehindTheSight

Newly Enlightened

The newer CT50 takes advantage of the CREE XM-L's efficiency however the out put is similar to the older MC-E. The beam pattern is better on the new one.

Nemesis158

Newly Enlightened

The CT50 does appear to use the XM-L. Judging from the relation of the XM-Ls rated top power of up to 1040lm@10W, then it would be a logical assumption that the CT20 Uses the XP-G, which is max rated up to [email protected].
I cant say for sure however, since the CT20's Led Has a flat-topped diffuser dome instead of the normal dome that you would be able to see the LED under. I can provide pictures if requested.

APGIllini

Newly Enlightened

Both of these Coleman lights were featured in the current holiday circular. Does anyone know if intensity fluctuates as the batteries are drawn down, or are these regulated? Thanks.

Nemesis158

Newly Enlightened

The CT20 appears direct battery driven on high, and does draw down with the batteries (its only rated for 200LM for 2 hours). i just got the CT50 today so im not sure. the packaging states 6.5 hours at 500LM (high) and 27.25 hours at 287LM (low)
I would guess if the CT50 is limited with a resistor on high as well (figuring that 200LM on the CT20 comes from 2 batteries, then assuming similar efficiency, the XM-L would come close to 600LM with 6 of them).
The CT50 appears to use 3x2 batteries in parallel however, instead of 6x1 in sequence. Given that the CT50's button switch is near the emitter, its entirely possible that the CT50 has a dedicated driver and is regulated.

APGIllini

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the feedback. Any more comments after further use? I may need to pick up one of these lights.

groutboy_1

Enlightened

If know one mentioned this...other new lights...CT 150,and CT 240 taclight. (150lm aaa , and 240lm 2aa)