Spyderco hinge lube, out of the box safe for food?

cjay

Newly Enlightened
Received a cute little Spyderco Ladybug today. The lubricant in the hinge and locking mechanism smells like gun oil (at least I think that's how gun oil smells, it's been a while since I used a gun), and using the knife makes my fingers smell a little like gun oil, too. A quick googling suggests that gun oil is unhealthy when ingested, even in trace ammounts.

Does anyone know what kind of lubricant Spyderco is using? Is it safe for food?

Thanks

fyrstormer

Banned
Pure mineral oil is completely indigestible, and it is sometimes used as a laxative. "Swedish Fish" candy uses food-grade mineral oil + starch as a substitute for gelatin. (in other words, be careful about eating too many "Swedish Fish" on long car trips.) On the other hand, lubricating oils are usually mixed with friction modifiers, which can be pretty much anything the manufacturer wants to use, and they are probably poisonous.

If you're going to use the knife to cut food, don't bother guessing, just disassemble the knife and clean it, then re-lubricate it with food-grade mineral oil. (vegetable oil also works, but it will oxidize quickly and start to smell bad.)

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
You can also use 409. Spray it down, rinse with hot water, then follow with some hot soapy water and scrub with a dish brush, then rinse. Shake off the excess water, wipe it down with a cloth, and let it air dry with the blade open. I don't disassemble the folding knives I use for food.

Bill