• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

UV Cure Lights WIP Pics

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure why I wanted to make these, other than the fact that a lot of people have asked for them.

But, since no one had actually ordered these, the design was left to me, and I had an idea that I wanted to explore, so this is what I came up with. These are made from 7068AL, which is stronger than 7075AL, and cuts and finishes just as nicely. They will be twist operation and use 18650 batteries.

In the back of my mind is the idea that someone might want to modify these in the future, perhaps making a LE that would utilize normal high-brightness LEDs, so the LE/Heatsink that I am installing, also made of 7068AL, is massive, offering plenty of metal to play with, along with great heatsinking ability.

UVs_WIP-1.jpg

UVs_WIP-2.jpg

UVs_WIP-3.jpg

These are as machined, so they should look a bit shinier in the final, lightly buffed version. Still have to make the LEs--maybe this weekend, if I'm lucky.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
This could be fun. Might I suggest space for 17mm driver? I wonder if a triple with 10507/10508 optics would work.

The bore for the reflector, or optic if you were to mod the light, is 20.5mm. As for the LE, the bottom portion will be bored for a 14mm driver board, but there will be enough metal to install a 17mm board instead, if you pull out the original driver.

Or, you could just make a new LE from scratch--as long as you can do .5mm threads. :)

gunga

Flashaholic
14mm driver? That's a pretty uncommon size with few choices (gdup comes to mind). 17mm might make more sense if the idea is to drive this light hard.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
14mm driver? That's a pretty uncommon size with few choices (gdup comes to mind). 17mm might make more sense if the idea is to drive this light hard.

The UV LED calls for 700mA and I am going to use a GD750 driver. Yeah, if I were making a normal light with some of the top LEDs, then, sure, I'd use a 17mm diameter driver with three modes, etc. These UV LEDs aren't cheap, so no sense in letting people blow them up by mistake. ;-)

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are alive!

UVs_Final-1.jpg

Just so happens that my lens cleaning cloth shows off the UV light just fine. :)

UVs_Final-2.jpg

Natural light.

UVs_Final-3.jpg

UVs_Final-4.jpg

I'll do some testing on how long they take to actually cure some NOA and hope to post these for sale soon. Price will be around $350 each, btw.\

[EDIT]: After 30 seconds, it looked pretty cured. :) Although, if I took a sharp point to it, it would penetrate some. Most likely a couple of minutes max would give a full cure.

Last edited:

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light is a must for any tritaholic, this might be the most exuberant way to cure your trit installations

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received another three of the LED Engin 365nm UV LEDs. I will be making three cure lights from these, similar to the ones shown in this thread, but perhaps with a three-level driver instead of the one-level 700mA driver that I used originally. I hope to find the time to make these in late August/early September, so if you would like to reserve one, please e-mail me--the price will be the same, $350 each. You can see the original sales thread here, btw.

UV%20LEDs_zpsclebmazt.jpg