Looking for an EDC folder (newbie)

Raybo

Enlightened
What do you folks recommend? I was thinking of getting the Kershaw Blur with the S30V blade, seems to have some good reviews.

Thanks in advance,
Ray

BIGLOU

Enlightened
I have the Tactical Blur with a tanto tip and is half serrated. I recommed it this thing is sharp.

Raybo

Enlightened
I have the Tactical Blur with a tanto tip and is half serrated. I recommed it this thing is sharp.

Thanks BL.

I like a knife with a smooth blade, what about the steel used for the blade? Is S30V to hard, is it difficult to sharpen?

Thanks again,
Ray

BobG

Newly Enlightened
Little more info would help. Price point, blade size, locking mechanism preference, some idea of usage profile. That said, can't go wrong with Kershaw (check out the skyline) or Spyderco (Delica is usually everybody's first and often favorite choice). Byrd is Spyderco's value line and the g-10 Meadowlark is the knife I usually gift to people who want to start carrying and ?EDC but aren't quite sure about it. S30V is not too hard to sharpen but many people find VG-10 a more forgiving steel to learn with while still being an excellent performer.

Raybo

Enlightened
Little more info would help. Price point, blade size, locking mechanism preference, some idea of usage profile. That said, can't go wrong with Kershaw (check out the skyline) or Spyderco (Delica is usually everybody's first and often favorite choice). Byrd is Spyderco's value line and the g-10 Meadowlark is the knife I usually gift to people who want to start carrying and ?EDC but aren't quite sure about it. S30V is not too hard to sharpen but many people find VG-10 a more forgiving steel to learn with while still being an excellent performer.

Thanks Bob!

I'm looking for an "all arounder" (<$100) kinda knife, cutting boxes, rope and possibly dressing out game animals.

Bwolcott

Enlightened
s30v is a great all around steel its not hard to sharpen, one of my favorite edc knives is the spyderco para military 2, it cost a little over your 100 dollar limit but it is worth its cost, another good choice is the spyderco manix 2 which is around 80 bucks and uses 154 cm steel, also a good all around steel a step below s30v but still very good

BobG

Newly Enlightened
Not sure on size you are looking for, The Manix XL is the big brother of the Manix and is almost a 4 inch blade. It is S30V and can be had for around 100. The Sage One Carbon fiber is also S30V and a great knife with a 3 inch blade, Download a catalog from the Spyderco site and check these along with the Superleaf, Endura, and Stretch, I think these are all around the 100 mark or less in the VG10 version as opposed to the ZDP-189 which is more expensive.

Bwolcott

Enlightened
Not sure on size you are looking for, The Manix XL is the big brother of the Manix and is almost a 4 inch blade. It is S30V and can be had for around 100. The Sage One Carbon fiber is also S30V and a great knife with a 3 inch blade, Download a catalog from the Spyderco site and check these along with the Superleaf, Endura, and Stretch, I think these are all around the 100 mark or less in the VG10 version as opposed to the ZDP-189 which is more expensive.

I agree the stretch and sage 1 are great choices, you can get the stretch for around 70 dollars in vg10 steel or 100 for zdp189, but for an edc knife the vg10 will work great for you

pobox1475

Enlightened
Thanks Bob!

I'm looking for an "all arounder" (<$100) kinda knife, cutting boxes, rope and possibly dressing out game animals.
For cutting boxes I would get a Superknife to supplement your EDC's edge. Cardboard is bad material for EDC's IMO. A Spydie Delica or Benchmade Griptillian are great performing values.