Converting LED flashlight to motorcycle headlight?

Macrosfear

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I recently purchased a UM 200 Renegade. It's a Chinese cruiser motorcycle, and my daily driver. I have noticed that the headlight is 'sufficient' at best with the revs up, but at idle or while coasting, it is not bright enough. I guess now you're thinking, just flip the high beams. But because the winding roads and constant traffic in the opposite direction, I need the beam to be close and bright. The situation is that the low is too dim and the high is too far away. It uses a weird 35w/35w bulb that is not used in the US. So just swapping bulbs won't work. I was thinking that maybe I could convert a Coast PX25 LED flashlight into a decent headlight. With new batteries, it is BRIGHT, and the small projector lens it comes with really scatters the light in a pattern that should be acceptable for road use. Also, the fact that it will pull less wattage is a plus.

I want to know what you guys think, and what I'll need to buy to make it work in terms of capacitors, fuses, heatsink, etc. I plan to modify the headlight base to accept the LED module and lens. All input is welcome.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, I recently purchased a UM 200 Renegade. It's a Chinese cruiser motorcycle, and my daily driver.

I was thinking that maybe I could convert a Coast PX25 LED flashlight into a decent headlight.With new batteries, it is BRIGHT, and the small projector lens it comes with really scatters the light in a pattern that should be acceptable for road use. Also, the fact that it will pull less wattage is a plus.

I want to know what you guys think, and what I'll need to buy to make it work in terms of capacitors, fuses, heatsink, etc. I plan to modify the headlight base to accept the LED module and lens. All input is welcome.

Wow... No. Please, don't try to turn a flashlight into a headlamp for any vehicle that doesn't move by anything but your own power (such as a bicycle).

Hilldweller

Enlightened
That's a bad idea...

How about a company like Rifle ---- buy a little fairing, mount it, and fit either a JW Speaker LED or Trucklite LED headlight in there? They both make 5x7 or 7" round units and you could easily source a bucket. The power needs of the Trucklite are far less than your 35w candle and the JWS is about the same.

Macrosfear

Newly Enlightened
That's a bad idea...

How about a company like Rifle ---- buy a little fairing, mount it, and fit either a JW Speaker LED or Trucklite LED headlight in there? They both make 5x7 or 7" round units and you could easily source a bucket. The power needs of the Trucklite are far less than your 35w candle and the JWS is about the same.

Thanks guys for the input.
So, I checked out that Truck-Light website, that LED headlight is amazing. However, at about $285 +shipping on Amazon, it cost 1/5 of what I paid for the bike. So I'll have to either deal with it for now, or figure something out on the cheap until I can get that awesome LED one.

Hilldweller

Enlightened
Thanks guys for the input.
So, I checked out that Truck-Light website, that LED headlight is amazing. However, at about $285 +shipping on Amazon, it cost 1/5 of what I paid for the bike. So I'll have to either deal with it for now, or figure something out on the cheap until I can get that awesome LED one.
You can get one for less than that from discount fleet supply (lifeisgood5 coupon code) or Quadratec (if you have them price match). Qtech also offers free shipping.

Just sayin'. Headlights, tires, brakes ---- all things that have to be good to help keep you alive.

My last motorcycle had 4 H7 lights with Osram 65w bulbs (2 high, 2 low; all 4 running on high) and a pair of PIAA 1100 driving lights on high as well. I used to ride cross country all the time, 1000 miles at a time, mostly at night to avoid traffic.
It's good to see where you're going.