Streamlight Protac HL vs Surefire fury combat

blackbird80092

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a ne flash ligt. I have been using Streamlight Stinger DS LED for few years and it died onme.
Im looking for agood ligtfor patrol.

Also...is it safe to use 3.7V or 4.2V cr123a rechargeable batteries in both flashlights?
How are rechargeable cr123 batteries in general?

MaNCuBuS

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight just came out with a new stinger.. 350 lumens and 56000 candelas... On paper, almost twice as powerful as your old stinger ds... The rechargeable 16340s or rc123s usually have lower mAh than disposable cr123 which means lower runtimes although they are rechargeable. I think they are also 3.7 volts vs 3.0 volts of cr123 so you have to make sure your light can handle the higher voltage. I don't recommend them for duty lights as you may run out of juice too fast... Most lights will let you know if they are recommended or not. Most people who use their lights a lot prefer the single 18650 3.7 volt rechargeable instead of 2 cr123 because of the longer runtimes. Just make sure you get quality 18650 like 3100 mAh eagletac, Panasonic or AW cells. Stay away from the cheaper ultra fires...

I am sure a more knowledgeable person will post more about the batteries and will also give suggestions on lights for you. There are a lot of good reliable duty lights you can get from numerous brands now days.. Klarus, eagletac, sunwayman, olight, thrunite, etc. I have surefires streamlights olights eagletacs and a klarus..and I would trust any of them for a duty light. This is a great site for suggestions! Welcome to CPF!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Overall, rechargeable batteries have less stored energy then primary batteries, so you'll get less runtime. As for safety, as long as you buy the right batteries and treat them well, you should be fine.

Are you open to lights from other companies?

:welcome:

blackbird80092

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight just came out with a new stinger.. 350 lumens and 56000 candelas... On paper, almost twice as powerful as your old stinger ds... The rechargeable 16340s or rc123s usually have lower mAh than disposable cr123 which means lower runtimes although they are rechargeable. I think they are also 3.7 volts vs 3.0 volts of cr123 so you have to make sure your light can handle the higher voltage. I don't recommend them for duty lights as you may run out of juice too fast... Most lights will let you know if they are recommended or not. Most people who use their lights a lot prefer the single 18650 3.7 volt rechargeable instead of 2 cr123 because of the longer runtimes. Just make sure you get quality 18650 like 3100 mAh eagletac, Panasonic or AW cells. Stay away from the cheaper ultra fires...

I am sure a more knowledgeable person will post more about the batteries and will also give suggestions on lights for you. There are a lot of good reliable duty lights you can get from numerous brands now days.. Klarus, eagletac, sunwayman, olight, thrunite, etc. I have surefires streamlights olights eagletacs and a klarus..and I would trust any of them for a duty light. This is a great site for suggestions! Welcome to CPF!

Thanks for your reply. Yea I was thinking about getting the new stinger ds again or the stinger ds hp.
My old one just died on me...I think its the battery bc I charged it but it wouldnt turn on.

Now, what kind of battery is 18650 3.7V? I would have to look into it.

blackbird80092

Newly Enlightened
Overall, rechargeable batteries have less stored energy then primary batteries, so you'll get less runtime. As for safety, as long as you buy the right batteries and treat them well, you should be fine.

Are you open to lights from other companies?

Im just used to streamlight or Surefire. Plus I guess for everyday use a rechargeable cr123a battery sounds good but disposable ones are 3.0V but the rechargeable ones are 3,7 or 4.2.

Kitfox

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight Protac HL vs Surefire P2X Dual Output Fury

I am a firefighter and have the Streamlight Protac HL 88040 and the Surefire P2X-B-BK Dual Output Fury. Both are excellent lights, durable, and have a powerful light.

The Streamlight HL features: checkering on body for a good grip, a metal clip (which now holds a 550 cord lanyard), anti-rollaway ability, recessed tail switch, strobe feature, nylon holster included, slightly brighter in both low and high. The low setting is annoying because it actually "flashes" which is misleading about moving equipment (try looking at a ceiling fan with it).

The Surefire Fury features: smooth body (fixed with a rubber ring), anti-roll feature, simple controls (low/high/off), 1/4" shorter, nice strong floodlight pattern.

The tie breaker is the Streamlight Protac HL costs $70 and the Surefire P2X Fury $108.

I have extreme Surefire product loyalty but the Steamlight Protac HL is an excellent torchlight.
Can't go wrong with either one.

My backup light? Streamlight Polytac 88850.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Re: Streamlight Protac HL vs Surefire P2X Dual Output Fury

Some lights can take the higher voltage of the RCR123 batteries, it usually says on the specifications.

The 18650 battery is around the size of 2 stacked CR123 batteries, but a bit wider. It provides a nice power to size ration for lights IMO and is rechargeable.

I've red a lot of recommendations for the Klarus XT11 and other Klarus lights, so that might be worth looking into. ArmyTek is makes nice lights as well and Olight's M series have also been recommended by many.

Would you like a dock charging or port charging light?

blackbird80092

Newly Enlightened

Some lights can take the higher voltage of the RCR123 batteries, it usually says on the specifications.

The 18650 battery is around the size of 2 stacked CR123 batteries, but a bit wider. It provides a nice power to size ration for lights IMO and is rechargeable.

I've red a lot of recommendations for the Klarus XT11 and other Klarus lights, so that might be worth looking into. ArmyTek is makes nice lights as well and Olight's M series have also been recommended by many.

Would you like a dock charging or port charging light?

Streamlight advises to use their cr123a batteries, duracell, or panasonic batteries. Do u kno if protac hl can take a battery thats more then 3.0v?

blackbird80092

Newly Enlightened

I am a firefighter and have the Streamlight Protac HL 88040 and the Surefire P2X-B-BK Dual Output Fury. Both are excellent lights, durable, and have a powerful light.

The Streamlight HL features: checkering on body for a good grip, a metal clip (which now holds a 550 cord lanyard), anti-rollaway ability, recessed tail switch, strobe feature, nylon holster included, slightly brighter in both low and high. The low setting is annoying because it actually "flashes" which is misleading about moving equipment (try looking at a ceiling fan with it).

The Surefire Fury features: smooth body (fixed with a rubber ring), anti-roll feature, simple controls (low/high/off), 1/4" shorter, nice strong floodlight pattern.

The tie breaker is the Streamlight Protac HL costs $70 and the Surefire P2X Fury $108.

I have extreme Surefire product loyalty but the Steamlight Protac HL is an excellent torchlight.
Can't go wrong with either one.

My backup light? Streamlight Polytac 88850.[/QUOTE

What kind of CR 123 battery do you use. Rechargeable or disposable?]

Kitfox

Newly Enlightened
For batteries I use disposable CR123As. Consider them like this:

Class 1 batteries are the best quality available and last the longest. These are for my primary light:
DURACELL ULTRA, SUREFIRE, PANASONIC

Class 2 batteries are nearly as good as Class 1, but have slightly shorter run times in my experience:
RAYOVAC, ENERGIZER, STREAMLIGHT, BATTERY STATION

Class 3 batteries are the least expensive, have shorter shelf lives, have the shortest run times, and are best kept as back up batteries or for non-emergency operations like aircraft inspection or training: TITANIUM, TENERGY, POWERIZER

Don't get me wrong, I shop battery prices and get Class 3 batteries all the time (especially the TITANIUM). But I'm a Helicopter Crew Chief and need dependable batteries. In my flight bag I always keep 4 spare CR123A in a powerpax battery caddy, which is in a sealed ziplock bag to keep out dust and moisture. Always keep a light with spare batteries together. Seems like it always fades out just when the operation gets "serious".

In my flight suit I have two lights, currently a Streamlight ProTac HL and a Streamlight Polytac LED. I tape the Polytac to my forearm above the wrist (had too many fly out the open door..lol).

You have to have a light which has a low power setting so that it lasts a long time. I used a Surefire Fury on an operation this week and the body is very slippery. But I see there is a lanyard ring available, I'll get it soon. Both the Surefire Fury and Streamlight Protac HL seem like great lights.

Kitfox

Newly Enlightened
Both the Streamlight Protac HL and the Surefire P2X Fury are too small in diameter for 18650 rechargeables.

Check out the comparable Nitecore MT26 and Fenix TK21-U2 if you want something in rechargeable.