ArmyTek        
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions - Oveready / TorchLAB

Default Re: Oveready / TorchLAB - Suggestions

Sorry if this has been addressed, but I'd love to see or at least hear your thoughts on a single cell E-series extender for making an E3e out of an E2e, or E2e out of an E1e. There are dropin options that support the voltages, VME head compatability, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Sorry if this has been addressed, but I'd love to see or at least hear your thoughts on a single cell E-series extender for making an E3e out of an E2e, or E2e out of an E1e. There are dropin options that support the voltages, VME head compatability, etc...
    The extender would have to be installed between the head and the original body.
    If a part was made to look decent on the Surefire lights, it may not look good on others.

A suggestion: Perhaps it would be too 'niche', but if we could get a head that is about 2 and a half inches wide to attach directly to a single DB 18650 body, with something like an XPL cool LED that is dedomed, and does not have a lot of green or yellow in the tint (with a neutral cast), that throws a tight beam with a lot of amps, maybe 2 mode (35-50% for the low mode, no last-mode memory). By the time it was developed, there may be a better emitter; who knows, but it really needs to be dedomed, or like the LED in the NiteCore TM36 (hopefully closer to neutral). Thank You for considering.

Quote Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post
    A suggestion: Perhaps it would be too 'niche', but if we could get a head that is about 2 and a half inches wide to attach directly to a single DB 18650 body, with something like an XPL cool LED that is dedomed, and does not have a lot of green or yellow in the tint (with a neutral cast), that throws a tight beam with a lot of amps, maybe 2 mode (35-50% for the low mode, no last-mode memory). By the time it was developed, there may be a better emitter; who knows, but it really needs to be dedomed, or like the LED in the NiteCore TM36 (hopefully closer to neutral). Thank You for considering.
    Great idea. Ideally, it would be a platform that can be updated as LEDs continue to evolve. We're a bit slammed this year but will add it to the list and see what we can make of it. Thank you!
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum
    | OR Insider | OVEREADY.com

Waterjet cut lanyard rings for TorchLab bodies, or some other type of clean ring. The Surefire one is not the best.

Quote Originally Posted by scruffy View Post
    Waterjet cut lanyard rings for TorchLab bodies, or some other type of clean ring. The Surefire one is not the best.
    Thats a tricky one. We've considered it. But the reason the SF/elzetta ones look fragile is because they are - on purpose. So if the light gets caught on something (say into a machine or on a passing car), the breaking point will be the wire. If you've got it tied securely to your wrist with a nice water jet ring, the breaking point is your wrist.
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum

Quote Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post
    If you've got it tied securely to your wrist with a nice water jet ring, the breaking point is your wrist.
    I get that, it just feels unfair that my ZeroRez Mounty tail can have a nice machined lanyard loop while my McClicky tails can't. Thanks for the reply.

Without question the Oveready Team is very busy right now, in preparation for this time of the year but:

Has anyone experimented with a 'donut' ring of QTC material on a Zero Res switch? The direct drive dropin I am using as my lightweight thrower might be reliably modulated when needing longer runtime without getting too hot...

(No need for a quick answer; No doubt many of us are looking forward to the next 'Insider' communication)
    Perhaps a CPF member has some experience with this?

Flashaholic*

Without question the Oveready Team is very busy right now, in preparation for this time of the year but:

Has anyone experimented with a 'donut' ring of QTC material on a Zero Res switch? The direct drive dropin I am using as my lightweight thrower might be reliably modulated when needing longer runtime without getting too hot...

(No need for a quick answer; No doubt many of us are looking forward to the next 'Insider' communication)
    Perhaps a CPF member has some experience with this?
    QTC likes "battery crusher" configurations.
    Lights with springs on the terminals are not ideal, because the spring compresses instead of the QTC.
    So, if the head has a spring terminal, even if the tail doesn't have a spring, it is less ideal for the QTC, and it may not work the way you want it to.
    Brawndo. It's got what plants crave!

Quote Originally Posted by twl View Post
    QTC likes "battery crusher" configurations.
    Lights with springs on the terminals are not ideal, because the spring compresses instead of the QTC.
    So, if the head has a spring terminal, even if the tail doesn't have a spring, it is less ideal for the QTC, and it may not work the way you want it to.
    Thanks for presenting that information. The Oveready bodies have something of a ledge with an Oring 'cushion' on the positive end, thus hopefully providing a rigid enough setup to allow the QTC to function in a satisfactory way if it needed to be placed on the negative end of the battery. I was hoping that a 'donut' could be used between the Zero Res tailcap and the lip of the body, but then that would increase the length of the area where the battery is. And I do not have the material to experiment or know if electricity going through it would give as much amps as it does in direct drive.

CandlePowerForums App
    Last edited by KITROBASKIN; 11-09-2014 at 02:44 PM.

Flashaholic

I'm slowly preparing another parts order and I'm wondering why I can't order the AAA sleeve separately or in combination with the regular AA sleeve as I have no need for the AA to 18650 spacer sleeve?

Thanks for presenting that information. The Oveready bodies have something of a ledge with an Oring 'cushion' on the positive end, thus hopefully providing a rigid enough setup to allow the QTC to function in a satisfactory way if it needed to be placed on the negative end of the battery. I was hoping that a 'donut' could be used between the Zero Res tailcap and the lip of the body, but then that would increase the length of the area where the battery is. And I do not have the material to experiment or know if electricity going through it would give as much amps as it does in direct drive.
    The Logan QTC mostly fit into the ZRS. Would just need to work out the spacing to test the approach. Tom is working hard to get us lined up to take winter by storm. Should have time to look at this idea closer, next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Aperture View Post
    I'm slowly preparing another parts order and I'm wondering why I can't order the AAA sleeve separately or in combination with the regular AA sleeve as I have no need for the AA to 18650 spacer sleeve?
    That was an organizational accident. We didn't have the AAA when I made the AA sleeve page. And you would need two AAA's to feed into a 2AA sleeve. No reason they can't be used together, so I've given AAA their own page:

http://www.oveready.com/battery-/sle.../prod_388.html
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum

Flashaholic

That was an organizational accident. We didn't have the AAA when I made the AA sleeve page. And you would need two AAA's to feed into a 2AA sleeve. No reason they can't be used together, so I've given AAA their own page:

http://www.oveready.com/battery-/sle.../prod_388.html
    Thanks for the swift "organisational correction", just placed my parts order including 4 of these

Hi, I'm new here to your forum. I've heard that you may be working on a P60 FeT switch, is this true? Vinh's p-60 drop-ins are starting to hit 10 amps; making the McClicky useless and the ZeroRez the only option. I would really like a proper switch that can handle these high amps. I've heard that Matteus (something like this - an Aussie) was working on something very similar - but after putting a fair amount of "coin" into the project ran into a huge stumbling block. Last time Nfetterly was PMing with him he said that he had packed up everything he had done and sent it to the Oveready folks, hoping that they would be able to complete it. Are you guys working on making a FeT switch? If not, would you consider it? I know alot of Vinh's fans are in need of them.
    Last edited by A.marquardt; 01-01-2015 at 10:14 PM.

We approached Matteus but have not seen action on this and are not (yet) in possession of the parts needed to develop his switch further. If we started today, it might be done by 2017, best case. In the mean time, if there is a way to run your module at twice the voltage, it will operate at half the amperage, supporting the McClicky.
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum

That's a bummer. Thanks for your time in responding, ElectronGuru. ZeroRez it will be then.
    Last edited by A.marquardt; 01-02-2015 at 04:36 PM.

Can you guys make some Ti, brass, and copper bezels for current HDS lights? That would be sweet...I'd buy a couple.
    MALKOFF SIMPLICITY!

Great idea. Ideally, it would be a platform that can be updated as LEDs continue to evolve. We're a bit slammed this year but will add it to the list and see what we can make of it. Thank you!
    I think this would be a great project for Oveready to tackle for a 2016-17-18 release date. Granted all of your heads and custom flashlights are great, well not great but extraordinary and works of art to say the least. Moddoolar heads and your P60 format are must haves for sure, but coming out with Moddoolar heads that for example would be custom made dropins like the P60's just 3 times the size would be AWESOME. Im not sure about Oveready and everyone here, but in my opinion, I would definitely make this your next big project.

Oveready producing Upgradeable, Customizable, Throw Kings or Flood-Supers......Running, but not limited to a MT-G2 emitter, smooth and or orange peel reflectors, bezel options by shape, material, color and be a drop in just like a P60 just 3 times bigger in size ready for your choice of tube, tail cap, battery choices from 18350 up to 26650 and your choice of switch. In my opinion Oveready owns the P60 Format, Triples, why not branch out and make big thrower style lights to compete against lets say the new SF Dominator, but yours would be brighter, customizable for a 1/2 to 1/3 the price or even the same price lol and if you decide, hey Im not diggling this style emitter any more, you could just buy a different drop in. Sounds really cool to me.

Tell me your opinion on this guys, I think its a great idea for OR to infiltrate another area of the flashlight market.
    Last edited by GrimReminder; 01-29-2015 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Had to slap my original post with some realisticness.

Maybe already suggested, but how about making Moddoolar-version Turboheads, like your modded M2 Direct Drives? Just a thought to add some additional variety to the Moddoolar line in addition to the triples.

Great idea, and we should have most of the parts.
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum

Default Re: Suggestions - Oveready / TorchLAB

I find P sized heads too big for pocket carry. How about some E sized heads, bodies, tailcaps etc?
    Last edited by ElectronGuru; 02-16-2015 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    I find P sized heads too big for pocket carry. How about some E sized heads, bodies, tailcaps etc?
    Any part can be made to any configuration. The two big market questions for any new idea are:

how useful will this part be
    how popular will this part be

The main limitation of the E format is the bulb system. It uses the same bulb pedestal and independent reflector as the KT4/M do. This limits LED options and performance. So most custom E parts are about converting from the smaller E head to the larger P head. Once you have a P head and diameter, its not much larger to go to also have a P body. Unless you're willing to stick to 16mm cells only, reducing popularity further.

So launching a series of E bodies will create demand for matching P60 adapters and bezels. Without which, sales will be slower. But perhaps some sort of ready to install E head. E1 size, with more performance than many p60 solutions, and bodies to match. Let me check with our resident engineer….
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum

A ZeroRes mounty in the E-series size would be nice, especially with the tripod loop attachment.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Quote Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
    A ZeroRes mounty in the E-series size would be nice, especially with the tripod loop attachment.
    Great idea. It would also test demand for other E parts without a huge investment. We are swamped with work, preparing for a triple summer. But I'll add it to the list!
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum

Seems like we should be hearing about this 'triple summer' pretty soon.

Did you know that it appears no one is making a water resistant delrin case to store 26650 (26700) sized batteries? And with the new 5200mAh cells, it seems that more people are getting into this larger size. The Oveready Defense Light works very well with the Orbtronic powerhouse, I can tell you that.

An interface to mate Malkoff heads (Wildcat/Hound Dog) to DB cell tubes would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Seems like we should be hearing about this 'triple summer' pretty soon.
    Working hard on the launch as we speak.

Did you know that it appears no one is making a water resistant delrin case to store 26650 (26700) sized batteries? And with the new 5200mAh cells, it seems that more people are getting into this larger size. The Oveready Defense Light works very well with the Orbtronic powerhouse, I can tell you that.
    Its a cool idea. The main challenge is the cap, which is half the cost of the whole capsule. A new diameter means making a whole new family size, so risks are higher. 5200 is some compelling capacity, but most 26650 lights are about monster output. A level we are looking to bring to smaller 18mm form factors. Lets see how things shake out over the rest of the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
    An interface to mate Malkoff heads (Wildcat/Hound Dog) to DB cell tubes would be nice.
    This may not be possible, let me check with the wizard.
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum

I know you're busy, but I thought I'd throw this at you and see what you think.
    Is there a chance you could make some ZeroRez switches to fit Malkoffs? All it needs (he says with no idea of the consequences) is to make the contact point with the battery about 2mm shorter. The stock switches (ZRM + ZRT) crush the very short spring that Malkoff have to use on their headsand consequently the nipple on the battery. I've shortened the distance between the tip (battery) and flange (tube contact) using a ring made from an old dropin spring between the tube and the flange. It works great, but gap freaks won't like the extra gap created above the switch body.
    I might just take my Zrt's and Zrm's to my local lathe man and get him to shorten them, but I wondered if it was a useful thing for you to be able to supply these switches to Malkoff freaks. For me ZeroRez's are just better switches, regardless of current.
    Sorry to bother you. Happy Fourth of July!
    Peter
    Last edited by peter yetman; 07-04-2015 at 12:56 PM.

Any part can be made to any configuration. The two big market questions for any new idea are:

how useful will this part be
    how popular will this part be

The main limitation of the E format is the bulb system. It uses the same bulb pedestal and independent reflector as the KT4/M do. This limits LED options and performance. So most custom E parts are about converting from the smaller E head to the larger P head. Once you have a P head and diameter, its not much larger to go to also have a P body. Unless you're willing to stick to 16mm cells only, reducing popularity further.

So launching a series of E bodies will create demand for matching P60 adapters and bezels. Without which, sales will be slower. But perhaps some sort of ready to install E head. E1 size, with more performance than many p60 solutions, and bodies to match. Let me check with our resident engineer….
    I'm not suggesting incandescent style heads. Like Malkoff makes an MDC head that fits e series bodies. I am suggesting you make a complete flashlight that has an e series sized head and body that will take an 18650 or 18350. Your e sized head could contain triple xpl or 219b. Obviously amp draw would have to be lower and output lower but I bet you could get over 1000 lumens from an e sized head and triple led format. I don't need 3000 lumens but I need something comfortable in my pocket. P sized heads are too big for me to comfortably carry. I know most don't mind but I do. Say an HDS sized light but with overready magic output. Thanks for commenting. I just noticed your reply today.

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    Is there a chance you could make some ZeroRez switches to fit Malkoffs?
    The beauty of our current format is that a given insert works with all of our own tailcaps + most SF tailcaps + several 3rd party caps. An insert that works only with a single 3rd party tailcap is more risky. Even as is, the ZRM may not sell fast enough to make more. So I'm not saying no, but I can't say yes either.

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    I am suggesting you make a complete flashlight that has an e series sized head and body that will take an 18650 or 18350. Your e sized head could contain triple xpl or 219b. Obviously amp draw would have to be lower and output lower but I bet you could get over 1000 lumens from an e sized head and triple led format. I don't need 3000 lumens but I need something comfortable in my pocket. P sized heads are too big for me to comfortably carry. I know most don't mind but I do. Say an HDS sized light but with overready magic output. Thanks for commenting. I just noticed your reply today.
    With the v5's thermal management system, smaller configurations become more practical. And better batteries are coming out it seems, ever week. So the main output limiter is now or soon to be the switch in the back.

You are not alone wanting smaller+brighter. If you had to choose, which would be more desirable?:

1. having e series compatible head threads
    2. having a smaller, more comfortable, more unified design
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast