Fenix Outfitters        
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789

Thread: Show your Oveready Collection!

Default Re: Show your Oveready Lights!

OR/TorchLab V5 triple R33 "Redomed" XP-L with OR/Surefire Custom HA (Black), McClicky switch, UCL Lens.

Last edited by DAN92; 05-23-2016 at 04:17 PM.

Flashaholic "Give me more lumens!" - Flashlight Addict -

Flashaholic

So tempted by this drop in.

Everyday I put it in the shopping cart but I'm unable to choose between nichia or redomed xp-l.

Could someone make a comparaison beamshot ?

I have two Wasps, a V4.1 Nichia and a V5 XP-L. The XP-L's tint is more white than the Nichia, which is a bit rosy. The XP-L is more white than all of my other Nichia A and B lights. It's likely that the current Nichia is more neutral than mine, but I'd be surprised if it were better. And, the output capability of the XP-L is simply unreal.

I don't use a flashlight to closely compare the color of an object against the same object lit by another light, so the CRI of the XP-L is definitely good enough for me.

The short answer......the XP-L is absolutely awesome!!
    Last edited by Grizzman; 05-26-2016 at 05:24 PM.

Not sure how helpful this is going to be, but it's the best I could grab in 5 minutes. In each photo below, XPL is on the left and Nichia is on the right. Grizzman is exactly right - XPL is more of a white and Nichia has more of a rosy tint. The knee jerk reaction tends to favor the XPL in general, but when you're in complete darkness and you shine the light on an object, the Nichia definitely shows the natural color more true and that's just a fact. But what you forfeit in color with the XPL, you make up for with a bit more power/fill. With that said, that power/fill is substantially less noticeable with a single cell and substantially more noticeable with multi cells. Below is with a single cell in each light:

For me, it really is a draw between the two, which is why I bought one of each. I couldn't decide and thankfully didn't have to. Both lights are a pleasure to use and the V5 is an incredible piece of machinery.
    Last edited by Exeter354; 05-26-2016 at 10:13 PM.

Flashaholic

Thank you for your answers and pics . Really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Exeter354 View Post
    ...the Nichia definitely shows the natural color more true and that's just a fact.
    Kind of surprised no CPF member has responded to this "fact". Couple of years ago it would have. From what I've read here on CPF, CRI numbers can give an incomplete picture of color rendering. Just guessing, but I don't think anyone knows how well the redomed Oveready XPL can render accurate color as an expression of CRI, but if a person goes out before dawn on a good walk, one can use the emitter in question (by itself; not using a simultaneous A/B comparison which makes for visual confusion) and directly compare the tint with what the emerging sunlight offers (making note of cloud cover and type of light)

If one uses a quality Nichia emitter, even if it is near 5000K (much more so if you are using a warmer tint), you will see that browns and tans will not look like the light of early morning sunlight. They will be darker, more saturated. Whites will have a slight tinge of brown, possibly faint rose. The redomed XPL does a fine job with this test, as does my 5000K XPL Hi in an EagTac 3 inch reflector, and a ZebraLight Sc62d. Some ask whether the Lovely Nichia light is worth the loss of lumen efficiency, especially in a flashlight configuration where primarily our eyes will be using rods, not cones (color sensors), for most of the seeing.

Point is, the XPL from Oveready works for a lot of people, and paper (or internet) 'facts' can sometimes be quite specious {adjective: 1. superficially plausible, but actually wrong 2. misleading in appearance, especially misleadingly attractive}

One opinion

When I said it's a fact, I didn't mean on paper - though I'm sure that is certainly the case as well. I meant based on my own personal observations. For example, I have a colorful painting on my wall and when the lights are off and I shine the Nichia on it, the colors are accurate. When I shine the XPL on it, the colors aren't quite as true. I don't study CRI, I just know what my eye perceives in practical use. Don't get me wrong, the XPL is pretty darn good and if I didn't know any better, I'd say it portrays colors fairly accurately too...that is, until I shine the Nichia on the subject and that's when I realize the difference.

I agree that the XPL works for a lot of people and it sounds like you're one of them. I don't disagree - it works for me too, which is why I own it. But I also like the "Lovely Nichia", which is why I own that as well. Bottom line...I think the average user is going to be quite pleased with either.
    Last edited by Exeter354; 05-27-2016 at 11:45 PM.

Default Re: Show your Oveready Collection!

CRI incomplete? Hell yes. Qualitative & subjective? By no means.

The CCT of sunlight does change from dawn to dusk. Lux obviously shifts as well; sometimes that is due to environmental conditions.

Sunlight through cloud cover is not an accurate representation of blackbody radiation since diffusion, gamut shift, and filtering will occur.

Daylight and sunlight are not the same. Yeah, mind blown.

A dirty secret? CRI (or Ra) is not a measure of all "R" values since it only covers colors R1 to R8. However, R9-R15 are important measuring a light's ability to display saturated colors.

CRI is one of four major color rendering metrics. There are also Full-Spectrum Index (FSI), Full-Spectrum Color Index (FSCI), and Gamut Area (GA).

Like everyone has already mentioned, CCT does play a role in our perception of color.

Plotting chromacity across the color space requires at least two axes since light sources do not all follow the blackbody locus. "5000K", for example, is not an accurate measure of CCT.

While everyone is quick to criticize Wikipedia, their articles on Color Rendering Index, Color Tempurature, and RGB Color Space are very well written. This is likely a result of contributions from professionals in the lighting and color space fields.

Obviously there is a significant amount of information that can be hard to grasp without a physics related degree.

At the end of the day, 99% of consumers don't care enough to delve into the physics of color and light. Major motion picture studios, professional photographers, art galleries, and other niche users are the ones that drive the relatively small demand for extremely accurate solid state light (SSL) sources.

Oveready (i.e. Dan, Tom, and Serge) have gone further than most flashlight makers (both production and custom) to deliver accurate and consistent color rendering LED's in their products.

Also, be sure to check out two new color rendering metrics, GAI (Gamut Area Index) and NIST's CQS (Color Quality Scale).

P.S. Nichia's ARE lovely. It's a scientific fact.
    Last edited by IsaacL; 05-28-2016 at 07:55 AM.
    On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

A little OR love on a Sunday afternoon...

I'm new to OR lights and I'm really liking what I see. Beautiful work and dedication to detail. I will need some help deciding do to the fact I'm relatively new to flashlights of this caliber. Thank you for your patience and help up front when I inquire.

This is my OR collection so far:

Quote Originally Posted by Offgridled View Post
    I will need some help deciding do to the fact I'm relatively new to flashlights of this caliber. Thank you for your patience and help up front when I inquire.
    We try to take a systems approach so parts tend to work together but the choices alone can be overwhelming. Start with our flashlights page for turnkey options or just inspiration

http://www.oveready.com/custom-flashlights/cat_64.html

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat703 View Post
    This is my OR collection so far:
    Lookn good!
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum
    | OR Insider | OVEREADY.com

[QUOTE=ElectronGuru;4922606]We try to take a systems approach so parts tend to work together but the choices alone can be overwhelming. Start with our flashlights page for turnkey options or just inspiration

http://www.oveready.com/custom-flashlights/cat_64.html

Thank you for your responce!

Quote Originally Posted by Exeter354 View Post
    Not sure how helpful this is going to be, but it's the best I could grab in 5 minutes. In each photo below, XPL is on the left and Nichia is on the right. Grizzman is exactly right - XPL is more of a white and Nichia has more of a rosy tint. The knee jerk reaction tends to favor the XPL in general, but when you're in complete darkness and you shine the light on an object, the Nichia definitely shows the natural color more true and that's just a fact. But what you forfeit in color with the XPL, you make up for with a bit more power/fill. With that said, that power/fill is substantially less noticeable with a single cell and substantially more noticeable with multi cells. Below is with a single cell in each light:

For me, it really is a draw between the two, which is why I bought one of each. I couldn't decide and thankfully didn't have to. Both lights are a pleasure to use and the V5 is an incredible piece of machinery.
    thank you for doing these beamshot comparisons!

Flashaholic

a small bump.

Flashaholic

A v5 drop in joined the party !

I have an AL-Nichia and Vintage CU-XPL Combo.

Last edited by ElectronGuru; 08-30-2017 at 07:17 PM.

vintage brass, titanium & brassite

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789