ArmyTek        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 42 of 42

Thread: Incandescent: low lumens, long runtime ?

  1. #31
    Flashaholic* snakebite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    dayton oh
    Posts
    2,350

    Default Re: IMO the bulb you need - if you can still locate it - is a 395x.

    might try a pr9 in a 2 d
    PR1 2.00v 0.95a 40hr
    PR2 2.38v 0.50a 15hr
    PR3 3.57v 0.30a 15hr
    PR4 2.33v 0.27a 10hr
    PR6 2.47v 0.30a 30hr
    PR7 3.70v 0.30a 30hr 1.110w
    PR9 2.70v 0.15a 45hr
    PR12 5.95v 0.50a 15hr
    PR13 4.75v 0.50a 15hr
    PR15 4.82v 0.50a 30hr
    PR16 12.50v 0.25a 50hr
    PR17 4.90v 0.30a 30hr
    PR18 7.20v 0.55a 3hr
    PR20 8.63v 0.50a 15hr
    PR29 3.60v 0.20a 30hr 0.720w
    PR30 3.75v 0.86a 40hr 3.225w
    PR31 2.40v 0.70a 40hr
    PR33 2.60v 1.00a 20hr 2.60w

  2. #32

    Default Re: IMO the bulb you need - if you can still locate it - is a 395x.

    Quote Originally Posted by snakebite View Post
    might try a pr9 in a 2 d
    PR1 2.00v 0.95a 40hr
    PR2 2.38v 0.50a 15hr
    PR3 3.57v 0.30a 15hr
    PR4 2.33v 0.27a 10hr
    PR6 2.47v 0.30a 30hr
    PR7 3.70v 0.30a 30hr 1.110w
    PR9 2.70v 0.15a 45hr
    PR12 5.95v 0.50a 15hr
    PR13 4.75v 0.50a 15hr
    PR15 4.82v 0.50a 30hr
    PR16 12.50v 0.25a 50hr
    PR17 4.90v 0.30a 30hr
    PR18 7.20v 0.55a 3hr
    PR20 8.63v 0.50a 15hr
    PR29 3.60v 0.20a 30hr 0.720w
    PR30 3.75v 0.86a 40hr 3.225w
    PR31 2.40v 0.70a 40hr
    PR33 2.60v 1.00a 20hr 2.60w
    Good info, and though I don't doubt it, still hard to believe. I have nothing against Mag other than size; the C&D bodies and heads are not compact, though I always thought every MagLite product was acceptably attractive, durable, and plenty useful for most flashlight tasking. I wish fivemega or Lumens Factory would design and release an E Series thread compatible head and reflector with a socket that could accept the standard Mag lamp base. It couldn't be ideal, but at least it would be compact, and increase E series lamp options, especially low lumen long runtime E series lamp options.

  3. #33
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somerset UK
    Posts
    392

    Default Re: IMO the bulb you need - if you can still locate it - is a 395x.

    http://www.cp-lighting.co.uk/11X30-2...mA-0-4W-P13-5s For any 2 cell flashlight that uses a PR based bulb, low consumption lamps are available.
    2.7 volt 0.15 amp for example.
    That would give about 100 hours service from alkaline D cells.

    The above is a UK supplier, but something similar should be available in the US.
    They ship internationally AFAIK.

  4. #34

    Default Re: IMO the bulb you need - if you can still locate it - is a 395x.

    I should share this setup, because I use it often: Malkoff 1xAA body with Elite head and Lumens Factory 3V lamp (or SF 3V MN01) running with NiMH 1.2V AA Eneloop I get a nice dropoff from 4 lumens to sublumenal in over an hour, I think about 40 minutes or so of 1-2lm of easy-on-the-eyes incan.

    Reading about AA Eneloops, they can handle a lot of current, and I wonder how bright a 1.1V 8A lamp (if it existed in G2 bipin for a Tads E Socket) would be for how long in this setup. That's a little extreme, and 1.35V at 2A would probably be more likely. Energizer Ultimate Lithium cells are also tolerate high amps with little loss of capacity, so for those, perhaps a 1.4V 2-3A lamp.

    I wish there were G2 base bipin lamps available that were matched for high amp NiMH, another for Alkaline and another for Lithium AA, in two series, a higher amp lamp series (in each chem) for max brightness for 20 minutes of runtime, and another lamp design set (for each chem) for max efficiency at whatever the brightness would be.

    Single AA incan is not common... but I wish it were.

  5. #35

    Default Re: IMO the bulb you need - if you can still locate it - is a 395x.

    Do you have a photo of your malkoff setup that you can share?
    Quote Originally Posted by night.hoodie View Post
    I should share this setup, because I use it often: Malkoff 1xAA body with Elite head and Lumens Factory 3V lamp (or SF 3V MN01) running with NiMH 1.2V AA Eneloop I get a nice dropoff from 4 lumens to sublumenal in over an hour, I think about 40 minutes or so of 1-2lm of easy-on-the-eyes incan.

    Reading about AA Eneloops, they can handle a lot of current, and I wonder how bright a 1.1V 8A lamp (if it existed in G2 bipin for a Tads E Socket) would be for how long in this setup. That's a little extreme, and 1.35V at 2A would probably be more likely. Energizer Ultimate Lithium cells are also tolerate high amps with little loss of capacity, so for those, perhaps a 1.4V 2-3A lamp.

    I wish there were G2 base bipin lamps available that were matched for high amp NiMH, another for Alkaline and another for Lithium AA, in two series, a higher amp lamp series (in each chem) for max brightness for 20 minutes of runtime, and another lamp design set (for each chem) for max efficiency at whatever the brightness would be.

    Single AA incan is not common... but I wish it were.

  6. #36

    Default Re: IMO the bulb you need - if you can still locate it - is a 395x.

    Quote Originally Posted by gurdygurds View Post
    Do you have a photo of your malkoff setup that you can share?




    oops, unintentionally swapped order of lights, in below image, MN01 on left, LF on right,



    for some idea of relative brightness, bright one is A3712 at 4.0V (probably should have used a 3V 15lm light for relative brightness... duh)


  7. #37
    Flashaholic* LeanBurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    935

    Default Re: IMO the bulb you need - if you can still locate it - is a 395x.

    Its too bad it has to be strictly an incan bulb. If you opened the parameters enough to allow a Yuji LED 95+ CRI a whole new vista of options would open to you and satisfy every parameter... and then some. Decades of bulb longevity, weeks and months of light from the same cells. CRI and tint that would have you second guessing the light bulb type.
    THRUNITE Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+HighCRI modded Mini-Mag2AAA, E01
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens)

  8. #38
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somerset UK
    Posts
    392

    Default Re: IMO the bulb you need - if you can still locate it - is a 395x.

    Quote Originally Posted by snakebite View Post
    might try a pr9 in a 2 d
    PR1 2.00v 0.95a 40hr
    PR2 2.38v 0.50a 15hr
    PR3 3.57v 0.30a 15hr
    PR4 2.33v 0.27a 10hr
    PR6 2.47v 0.30a 30hr
    PR7 3.70v 0.30a 30hr 1.110w
    PR9 2.70v 0.15a 45hr
    PR12 5.95v 0.50a 15hr
    PR13 4.75v 0.50a 15hr
    PR15 4.82v 0.50a 30hr
    PR16 12.50v 0.25a 50hr
    PR17 4.90v 0.30a 30hr
    PR18 7.20v 0.55a 3hr
    PR20 8.63v 0.50a 15hr
    PR29 3.60v 0.20a 30hr 0.720w
    PR30 3.75v 0.86a 40hr 3.225w
    PR31 2.40v 0.70a 40hr
    PR33 2.60v 1.00a 20hr 2.60w
    Some of hose run times look very optimistic.
    No way will two alkaline D cells drive a 1 amp bulb for 20 hours, under 8 hours more likely.

  9. #39
    Flashaholic* RobertMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Las Piñas, Philippines
    Posts
    995

    Default Re: IMO the bulb you need - if you can still locate it - is a 395x.

    So those are projected runtimes?

    Silly me, I thought they were lamp life hours.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

  10. #40

    Default Re: IMO the bulb you need - if you can still locate it - is a 395x.

    Minimag 2aa bulb can work in a 2c or 2d with the new nip in adapter. You just have to bend the pins out. Throws very far

  11. #41
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somerset UK
    Posts
    392

    Default Re: IMO the bulb you need - if you can still locate it - is a 395x.

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMM View Post
    So those are projected runtimes?

    Silly me, I thought they were lamp life hours.
    I assumed that the figures were estimated battery run times. I could of course be mistaken.

  12. #42
    Flashaholic* RobertMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Las Piñas, Philippines
    Posts
    995

    Default Re: IMO the bulb you need - if you can still locate it - is a 395x.

    Quote Originally Posted by apete2 View Post
    Minimag 2aa bulb can work in a 2c or 2d with the new nip in adapter. You just have to bend the pins out. Throws very far
    I haven't thought of this!
    Runtime may be spectacular with bnew Alkalines.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •