Review of / Measurement on Sysmax/NiteCore i2 Charger

HKJ

Flashaholic
[size=+3]Charger Sysmax/NiteCore i2[/size]

DSC_0781.jpg
DSC_0782.jpg

Sysmax made a good 4 channel multi chemistry charger with the i4, now they are trying to repeat it with a two channel charger.

DSC_0778.jpg
DSC_0779.jpg
DSC_0780.jpg

It comes in a cardboard box that list the battery sizes the charger is designed for.

DSC_0710.jpg

The box contains the charger, a power cord (I bought mine in UK and got a UK power cord), a car power adapter a warranty card and a instruction manual. It looks like the car adapter is optional.

DSC_0787.jpg

The charger has a standard connection for the power cord and is universal voltage (100-240V 50/60Hz). It does also support 12 volt power. In my tests I have only uses 230 VAC.

DSC_0783.jpg

The charger has 3 yellow leds for each battery, they will show the actual charge state when charging:
None: no battery detected
1 flashing, 1 steady + 1 flashing, 2 steady + 1 flashing: Charging, number of leds is a rough guide to actual charge level.
3 steady: Battery is full.
3 flashing: Fail.

DSC_0717.jpg

The plus connection is slightly raised, this means that the charger can be used with flat top batteries.

DSC_0720.jpg

The minus connection is a slider, making it possible to charge different size batteries without using a spacer. The slider is working very smooth. It will handle batteries from 30mm to 70.1mm.
I had no problem with any of the supported battery sizes, they were easy to put into the charger and did always make connection.

supportedBatteryTypes.png

supportedBatterySizes.png
DSC_0722.jpg
DSC_0784.jpg
DSC_0785.jpg

DSC_0724.jpg
DSC_0786.jpg
DSC_0725.jpg
DSC_0726.jpg
DSC_0723.jpg

The charger can handle 70 mm long batteries including flat top cells.

[size=+2]Measurements[/size]
When power is turned on the charge will charge with 0.5A, if the voltage is below 2 volt it will assume NiMH batteries.
When the charge current goes below the termination current the charging is stopped and it will charge with < 350 uA.
The charger will not restart, if the battery voltage drops.
The charge will always restart charging when a battery is put into it or after a power loss.
When charger is disconnected from power, but with a battery in, it will draw up to 1.2 mA from the battery.
Two batteries in the charger will not change the charge current, i.e. the channels are truly independent.
Because each channel is independent, the different voltages and currents vary between the channels with a small amount.

NiteCore%20i2%20(PA18650-34).png

The charger uses CC/CV charging profile with a termination current around 50mA. My copy of the charger does terminate at a slightly high voltage for LiIon, but it is well with allowable tolerances.
With 0.5A charge current it is not exactly fast to charge 3400mAh batteries, it takes 8 hour on this charger.

NiteCore%20i2%20%28PA18650-34%29%20%232.png

The second channel looks exactly like the first.

NiteCore%20i2%20(2xPA18650-34).png

Using both channels at the same time, does not change anything.

NiteCore%20i2%20(AW16340-IMR).png

My old IMR cell also charges fine.

NiteCore%20i2%20(eneloop).png

NiteCore%20i2%20(eneloop%20XX).png

NiMH batteries uses another charge algorithm, it looks like it is a constant voltage termination and not the recommended -dv/dt.

NiteCore%20i2%20(eneloop)%20%232.png

The second channel does again look like the first.

NiteCore%20i2%20(2xeneloop).png

And using two channels at the same time, does not change the charge time.

NiteCore%20i2%20(PA18650-34+eneloop).png

NiteCore%20i2%20(eneloop+PA18650-34).png

Charging one eneloop and one LiIon at the same time is no problem.

ChargeLiIon.png

The charging for LiIon is pulsing, there is a short pause each 2 second, probably used to check the voltage.

ChargeNiMH.png

The charging for NiMH is also pulsing, there is a short pause each 2 second, probably used to check the voltage.

[size=+2]Conclusion[/size]

With the 0.5A charge current and dual chemistry support the charger is suitable for a large range of battery sizes and types. The tray works very good with any size battery. The actual charge algorithms are not perfect, but do work.

For most purposes I will say this charger is better than the i4, the lower charge current makes it much better for the 14500 and 16340 batteries, the trays works better and it does not reduce the current when it is filled with batteries.

This charger is a good multi chemistry charger.

[size=+3]Notes[/size]

Here is an explanation on how I did the above charge curves: How do I test a charger

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great Review, I have an v2 i4 myself and think it`s great, apart from the obvious is their any difference between the i2 and i4 , say longer slots on the i2 , do you have an i4, can we have a picture of them side by side.

thanks

John.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Great Review, I have an v2 i4 myself and think it`s great, apart from the obvious is their any difference between the i2 and i4 , say longer slots on the i2 , do you have an i4, can we have a picture of them side by side.

The trays are the same length, but the i2 has wider trays, making it better for 26xxx batteries.
On my i4 there is connection problems for 26xxx and C batteries with a small plus pole, on the i2 this is fixed, and as I wrote in the review, the slider works very smooth in the i2.

DSC_0788.jpg

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great, Thanks, are the two vertical slots in the centre of the i2`s bay for ventilation? , also is their no power light on the i2?

I had to add some silicon grease to the sliders on my i4 as they were sticking really bad, but they work grest now.

John.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Great, Thanks, are the two vertical slots in the centre of the i2`s bay for ventilation? , also is their no power light on the i2?

There is no power light on i2.

The ventilation design on the i2 (or i4) is not that great. The warm air has to come out of the slots in the front (+ end of charger) and the only way it can get fresh air in is from the slots between the batteries, the slots at the back end and behind the batteries. I suppose it is enough cooling.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent review as always. HKJ! :thumbsup: Thanks too much for your time and effort. The charger i2 looks better than i4 as you mentioned.

fran82

Newly Enlightened
Do you recommend this charger for Ni-Mh, depite the algorithm is not 100% good? I have read bad things about it when charging NiMh

SEMIJim

Enlightened
At the risk of getting nicked for thread necromancy :), I'd like to thank HKJ for the work he put into this review. This charger, along with a couple Tenergy 18650's, I think will provide an economical way for me to feed the LumaPower Signature I have on the way.

The fact that it can also charge the Eneloop AA's and AAA's I have is icing on the cake.

Jim

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
At the risk of getting nicked for thread necromancy :), I'd like to thank HKJ for the work he put into this review. This charger, along with a couple Tenergy 18650's, I think will provide an economical way for me to feed the LumaPower Signature I have on the way.
I've never heard anyone complain about necromancy around here. Personally I feel it is an antiquated way of moderating online forums; if the topic applies and is still valid, why not keep the thread going?

slntdth93

Newly Enlightened
Note sure where I should place this, but I'd like to say mine went up in smoke (well actually, started smelling like burnt plastic). Didnt feel excessively warm, but it was charging two 18650's