Energizer Eneloops ?

pinetree89

Enlightened
Was at Target the other day and noticed two different Energizer rechargeable offerings.

These:
http://www.energizer.com/batteries/rechargeable-batteries/Pages/power-plus-aa.aspx

And These:
http://www.energizer.com/batteries/rechargeable-batteries/Pages/universal-aa.aspx

There were marked at $10.99 and $9.99 respectively.

There is no mention of capacity on either package.

I noted that both sets of packaging stated that the cells were made in Japan.

I also noted that both cells seemed to have that unique larger style button top that Eneloops seem to have.

Additionally, the positive and negative contacts have that unique microscopic type silver orange peel that I've noticed Eneloops have.

I'm almost thinking we're dealing with rebadged Eneloop and Eneloop Lite with these cells? I bought a set of the first type. We'll see what the BC700 says their capacity is.

Ene-Eneloops? :thinking:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run two quads of the Energizer 2300 mAh AAs and have so for years. Made In Japan, kind of a green fiber/poly board around the positive button. They test out very well, but the newer versions are 2500, or 2550 mAh cells, IIRC.

I don't think that they're Eneloops because they have substantially higher capacities than my Eneloops, as tested on my BC-700 and C-9000 chargers and they do self discharge. I wouldn't think that the newer 2500s would be Eneloops, either.

I use two quads in my keyboard and Marantz RC-5000 LCD remote and they do pretty well, after some abuse on a 15 min charger. I also have a sealed quad and run their AAA 900 mAh, to good effect.

Chris

Power Me Up

Enlightened
Was at Target the other day and noticed two different Energizer rechargeable offerings.

These:
http://www.energizer.com/batteries/rechargeable-batteries/Pages/power-plus-aa.aspx

And These:
http://www.energizer.com/batteries/rechargeable-batteries/Pages/universal-aa.aspx

There were marked at $10.99 and $9.99 respectively.

There is no mention of capacity on either package.

I noted that both sets of packaging stated that the cells were made in Japan.

I also noted that both cells seemed to have that unique larger style button top that Eneloops seem to have.

Additionally, the positive and negative contacts have that unique microscopic type silver orange peel that I've noticed Eneloops have.

I'm almost thinking we're dealing with rebadged Eneloop and Eneloop Lite with these cells? I bought a set of the first type. We'll see what the BC700 says their capacity is.

Ene-Eneloops? :thinking:

From your observations and the fact that the Universal version is rated for 1500 cycles, my guess is that there is a good chance that they're generation 2 Eneloops.

Would be interesting to test them out and see if they really are, but I haven't seen the new universal version here in Australia yet...

pinetree89

Enlightened
I run two quads of the Energizer 2300 mAh AAs and have so for years. Made In Japan, kind of a green fiber/poly board around the positive button. They test out very well, but the newer versions are 2500, or 2550 mAh cells, IIRC.

I don't think that they're Eneloops because they have substantially higher capacities than my Eneloops, as tested on my BC-700 and C-9000 chargers and they do self discharge. I wouldn't think that the newer 2500s would be Eneloops, either.

I use two quads in my keyboard and Marantz RC-5000 LCD remote and they do pretty well, after some abuse on a 15 min charger. I also have a sealed quad and run their AAA 900 mAh, to good effect.

Chris

Think you may be right on this one.

I just did a test of 4 on my BC700: They came it at:

2.43 AH
2.43 AH
2.44 AH
2.37 AH

I suspect that they may be made in the Panasonic/Sanyo factory in Japan. The positive button, wrapper, and dimensions are identical to an Eneloop. However it appears that the testing reveals that they have a bit higher capacity which makes me think they are indeed NOT rebadged Eneloops.

I'll probably use them around the house in various non-lighting related devices.

awyeah

Enlightened
I picked up a pack of the "recharge universal" AAs. They state 1400mah on the label. The top and bottom really do look just like some of the Eneloops I have. At some point I'll run them through my Maha C9000 and see what their capacity measures out to.

Below are photos I took. You can view the full res images here: http://imgur.com/a/7CAKW

GbkoE.jpg

9IyCc.jpg

6cXat.jpg

cUqoy.jpg

naiter

Newly Enlightened
Eneloop is just a Sanyo brand name for NiMH with LSD (Low Self Discharge). Sanyo developed the technology. I haven't seen anything calling itself a LSD Battery, for obvious reasons. If they are pre-charged NiMH , i assume they are "eneloop" technology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eneloop

I would guess that Energizer pre-charged NiMH would be great, just because they are a big name brand battery Co.

awyeah

Enlightened
It occurs to me - if the higher end version of these (the $11 ones) are really 2400mah, and they are actually good, that's a far better deal than the 2500mah Eneloop XX that sell for $18.

naiter

Newly Enlightened
If they hold more mAh, I would guess that they have less capacity over time VS Eneloop brand, just like Eneloop's "pro" line.

shadowjk

Enlightened
There are many 2400mAh "LSD" nimh out there now. Tensai and Turnigy pop to mind, probably Varta has them also... I imagine they're an upgrade of the non-eneloop line of LSDs, think GP Recyko level of quality?

RCM

Enlightened
I have 4 of these as well, except mine look like the standard energizer recharge. They still have white tops and say made in Japan. Every one of them tested to 1.5 Ah. Don't know if that will help anything or not just to giving my 2 cents

awyeah

Enlightened
I have 4 of these as well, except mine look like the standard energizer recharge. They still have white tops and say made in Japan. Every one of them tested to 1.5 Ah. Don't know if that will help anything or not just to giving my 2 cents

Did the packaging say "pre-charged"?

SaraAB87

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a pack of the "recharge universal" AAs. They state 1400mah on the label. The top and bottom really do look just like some of the Eneloops I have. At some point I'll run them through my Maha C9000 and see what their capacity measures out to.

Below are photos I took. You can view the full res images here: http://imgur.com/a/7CAKW

GbkoE.jpg

9IyCc.jpg

6cXat.jpg

cUqoy.jpg

Yes these are the ones I saw at target, I assume they are not eneloops as they are 1400 mah. The package is deceiving as the 1400 mah is in VERY tiny print on the package. I won't be buying these. Eneloops cost about 8$ for 4 on Amazon.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are many 2400mAh "LSD" nimh out there now. Tensai and Turnigy pop to mind, probably Varta has them also... I imagine they're an upgrade of the non-eneloop line of LSDs, think GP Recyko level of quality?

I've got eight Imedion 2400 LSDs from PowerEx, as well as eight GP ReCyKo 2050mAh LSDs. I'm running a year long test on them, along with four of my Eneloop 1500s, which will conclude at the beginning of March.

I don't know if those Energizers pictured with the white tops are the Eneloops, since the capacity is lower than the standard 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation Eneloops.

I'm in South Florida and was in a Best Buy that had the Duraloops for sale, but they wanted $17+ tax per four pack, which almost double the price I can get my Eneloops for ($30 per dozen, shipped, sealed & fresh production).

I'll have to keep my eye out for those Energizers, not that I would buy them, just to see what the deal is.

Chris

awyeah

Enlightened
In case anyone was curious, I ran a break-in on these cells on my Maha C9000. They're rated at 1400mah, and they all tested higher, around 1430-1450.

Font size

Newly Enlightened
Anybody know the best place to find last years 3rd Generation Eneloop AA cells: HR-3UTGB 1800 cycles, can be bought online?