recommend light for GoPro

3D87C4

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Done a little searching and am not finding an answer so, with your indulgance, I'd like to just ask:

Can you recommend a light system that puts out enough light to record my evening ride with a GoPro?

I ride my bike on the Coyote Creek trail (San Jose CA) after work. I have a TurboCat 19W helmet light and a 15W wide angle light on the handle bars. (And a 5W with a red gell on the rear.) This is fine for seeing the trail but the bike mounted lights use a big lead acid battery so I've been thinking about an LED alternative to reduce the weight and get a longer burn time.

I often encounter animals on the trail---bobcats, deer, foxes, bats, owls, etc.---and have a couple of GoPros that I use for SCUBA dive videos. Last night I put one on my helmet hoping to get some animal footage over the next few months of night riding. The results were very poor---I'm just not putting out enough light.

Ideas?

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Probably two lights ...

1. Malkoff Wildcat - For wall-of-light 'spill'.

2. Malkoff Hound Dog - For balanced 'throw'.

The GoPro has a very small aperture, so you'll require more light than you think you'll require.

3D87C4

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, those are interesting but I'm not sure I want to go with a "flashlight" form factor.

I tried one of my DRIS 1000 Lumen dive lights in addition to my TurboCat lights last night and managed to get some video, though I had to max out my exposure settings so it's pretty noisy. I added a holographic diffuser to it so the light is well spread but doesn't get far down the road.

I'll post a link if YouTube ever finishes processing it. I didn't bother editing, so it's ridiculously too long.

Later...no luck uploading, too long, will try to edit out a snippet and upload this weekend. Bought a $35 magicshine knockoff & will tinker with that when it arrives.

Last edited: