Dimming LEDs via 120v wall dimmer?

Number21

Newly Enlightened
I have some fluorescent light fixtures in my office that I want to convert to LEDs because the fluorescents are too bright and I can't dim them. I do not want to modify the existing wiring, but I do want to install a dimmer switch. Is there an LED driver available that will work on 120v, and can be dimmed with a standard wall switch? I have found some drivers that are dimmable, but they use some kind of low voltage signal wire for the dimming...

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Advance Transformers Mark 10 fluorescent ballast (REZ-1S32-SC) that could be dimmed using a 2 wire phase cut dimmer but it isn't a standard dimmer that you would use for incandescent bulbs (Look for the Leviton SureSlide 6668-1W or 6668-1I if you want it in Ivory vs White). It hooks up like a regular dimmer but the output was made to control Advance Mark-10 and Philips dimmable CFL ballasts.

Did a brief search and other than what is in LED "bulbs" if it is possible for you to replace the fluorescent fixture with something that takes a standard incandescent; I couldn't find a standalone LED driver that dims with a two wire dimmer; most used a 0-10 volt DC control signal like you mentioned.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem is not the dimmer switch, the Leds tube or bulbs must have the dimmer option, some Leds driver cant be dimmer.

Sent from my phone with camera with flash and internet on it... :D

ianfield

Newly Enlightened
I have some fluorescent light fixtures in my office that I want to convert to LEDs because the fluorescents are too bright and I can't dim them. I do not want to modify the existing wiring, but I do want to install a dimmer switch. Is there an LED driver available that will work on 120v, and can be dimmed with a standard wall switch? I have found some drivers that are dimmable, but they use some kind of low voltage signal wire for the dimming...

You can dim electronic fluorescents - as long as the inverter has a PFC 9power factor cerrected) front end.

The same applies to LED units with an electronic ballast.

When you first switch on an electronic ballast, the reservoir capacitor charges to the peak value of the AC suppy - thereafter it only draws small "blips" of current to top-up the capacitor at every AC peak as charge is used by the load. These tiny blips of current upset the triac in a dimmer - the power companies aren't too happy about it either!