XML Mini Ma@

Southpawtact

Newly Enlightened
I'm planning on building a direct-drive setup in a Mini Ma@ 2 AA. It'll consist of an XML powered by two LiNiCoO2 14500's or two IMR 14500's. I'm not too well versed in the electrical side of things, so I have two questions. First, what power of resistor do I need to get the battery voltage down to the forward voltage of the led? Second, would I have to use IMR's or can I use the standard LiNiCoO2's for a little more capacity?

This light is going to be for the shock factor of a crazy amount of lumens coming out of a Mini Ma@. Runtime doesn't matter, it just needs to be as bright as possible. Also, the light will probably not be used for more than 30 seconds at a time.

moderator007

Enlightened
You would be wasting over half the energy in heat by using two batteries. Basically burning one battery off as heat. If run time doesn't matter use one IMR 14500. A XML would have some where around a 3.3vf at 3amps. You can use this to calculate your resistor value. I think you would need about a 3 watt even though the calculator says 9 watt.

Last edited:

Thr3Evo

Enlightened
If u really want the wow factor and u are planning on using 14500's....cut the mag down to the size of only one cell....it'll really wow...but u need to heat sink that led or u will burn it out even in 30 seconds if u plan to run it at its max.

On second thought, u dont have to cut it if u dont want, use a dummy cell in place of the second 14500...maybe even make it a holder for that power resistor u plan to use.

Last edited:

Match

Newly Enlightened
Thr3Evo is right on the mark. Either cut down or dummy cell...but absolutely no reason to use 2 14500's unless you are using a buck driver. Here's one of a few I did awhile back:
IMG_4749.jpg

IMG_4750.jpg

IMG_4753.jpg

It's a triple xpg, but would be similar with an xml. It uses a 3 mode driver and a AW 14500. This particular one is using nice NW emitters, but I've made one with CW R5's that'll do over 1100L OTF. I need to make another with the xpg2's now...just to bump that number up a notch :). Yes, they'll be a "wow" light on high but are actually quite usable considering the 3 modes.... and a lot more unique than just about any other 1xAA pocket light.

Good luck with the build!

Thr3Evo

Enlightened
Banging job on that lil mag, Match. I'm actually working on a similar setup myself, just waiting on some xpe's. After making two shorty D mags(single and triple xml) I found the courage to tare a mini mag apart, haha. Btw ima steal the clip idea if u don't mind. :)

Latest posts