1AA to 9 volt plans???

unclearty

Enlightened
I've searched and searched to no avail...I saw, a few years ago, a schematic, to replace a 9 volt battery with a single AA. I thought that if it had reasonable current, it could easily drive 2 series LEDS. Does anyone have this schematic??

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately I don't think RatShack has it, but go to www.dse.com.au and do a search for "all products" with keyword "k3231". This will bring up the kit that converts 1.5V to 9V. Is that what you were looking for? It's quite old and hopeless and doesn't really produce 9V, more like 8.4V or slightly less. It uses an old Texas Instruments IC, TL 497 or something. It is marketed as a circuit to replace 9V batteries with 1.5V cells, but doesn't really cut it.

You could get similar efficiencies with the SatCure circuit and I've been able to drive up to 3 LEDs in series with it. Alternatively, you should be able to access Maxim or Zetex ICs. They have ICs which were designed to drive LEDs and would give you much greater efficiencies and better controls.

What is the SatCure? http://tyapo.tripod.com/2t_regulated_led.html will show you the regulated version (the regulation is not very good, but hey, it'll do! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) Just take out Q2 and R2 and you have the original circuit. If you want it cut all the way down, you can even take out C1 and D1.