Headlight upgrade: 1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport

TheMechanic

Newly Enlightened
My wife's '97 Montero Sport is in need of a headlight upgrade. I'm doing a relay/wiring mod to get better voltage and to handle higher wattages, and would like some assistance as to what H4-style bulb to get once that's completed. (At the moment, it's equipped with plain old Sylvania 9003 bulbs from the local Big Box Auto Parts store.)

She drives about 50 miles per day to and from work, about half of which is on dark, narrow, winding country roads. Deer are an ever-present hazard (our area has one of the highest deer/automobile accident rates in the state.) In addition fog is an issue virtually constantly from Oct through May.

Ideally, the bulb would produce a very bright high beam with good spill to the sides, and a bright but wide low beam with distinct upper cut off for better fog visibility. Good lighting to the side is imperative given the deer issues.

Suggestions? (I'm also open to adding auxiliary lighting should this prove to be too much for a mere bulb change to accomplish.)

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I would vote for a set of Osram 70/65w bulbs, as long as you are able and willing to aim the lamps properly and keep them aimed. The headlamps themselves are now ~16 years old and may welll be due (or overdue) for replacement with new ones. If so, get Mitsubishi-made lamps; aftermarket ones are junk.

Auxiliary lights may well still be required, but first get the headlights up to snuff.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I think the "Rallye" name is on the box, yes, but there is only one Osram 70/65w bulb. I know Candlepower (not related to this site) and Dan Stern have them; there may be other vendors, too.

TheMechanic

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! Two followup questions:

1) Since the only source I can find so far is online, it's conceivable that there might be a delay in restocking should we need replacements in a hurry. The only local sources for H4 bulbs carry Sylvania and NAPA/Balkamp. Of course I'll keep a couple extra Osrams on hand, but in the worst-case scenario is there anything in those lines that would be suitable for a temporary replacement should we need it? (Blame my disaster planning fetish...)

2) I have an '87 Montero with 7" round sealed beams. I'm planning on a wiring upgrade and the Hella ECE conversion kit. This is a vehicle which rides a little rougher, spends some time on unimproved gravel/dirt roads, and very occasionally goes offroad - but when on-road the driving conditions are the same as the wife's rig. Would you recommend the Osram for that use as well, or something else?

Thanks again - you've been very helpful.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Buy a couple of extra Osram 70/65w bulbs and keep them in the glove compartment. If worse comes to worst, you can install any regular-wattage 9003/HB2/H4 bulb from a parts store. It won't put out as much light, but it will be much better than nothing.

The '87 would be well upgraded by your plan, except get Cibie headlamps instead of Hellas if you can afford them; they're considerably more performant and efficient.