Fenix E50 Review

ponkan

Newly Enlightened
This will be my first review on a flashlight. First of all, its a beautiful flashlight. Quite light though I didn't expect it to be too heavy. Quality is top notch. My only concern is that the thread on the flashlight is not squared instead using a tradtional screw type thread. This might mean a shorter lifespan on the thread requiring constant maintenance, but only time can tell.

From left to right: Fenix e11, Foursevens Quark "X" 123-2, Fenix E50 without extension tube

From left to right: CR123, AA battery, 18650, olight i10 EOS, Fenix E11, Foursevens Quark "X" 123-2, Fenix E50

Fenix e50 with extension tube vs. Maglite 2d LED

Fenix E50 without extension tube vs. Maglite 2d LED

From left to right: CR123, AA battery, 18650, Olight i10 EOS, Fenix E11, Foursevens Quark "X" 123-2, Fenix E50 without Extension tube, and Fenix tk41

Same order as the previous picture, but with Fenix E50 having the extension tube

Now time for the beam shots
:devil:

Fenix E50 from lowest to highest as per Fenix specification (23, 74, 236, and 780 lumens)
Aperture, exposure, ISO, and white balance is the same (f5.6, 1/4 sec., ISO160, and 5000 kelvin white balance)

Comparison with my other flashlights in their highest output (Fenix e50, Fenixtk41, Foursevens Quark "X" 123-2, Olight i10 EOS, and Fenix E11)
Aperture, exposure, ISO, and white balance is the same (f5.6, 1/4 sec., ISO160, and 5000 kelvin white balance)

Fenix e50 at 780 Lumens

Fenix TK41 at 800 lumens

Foursevens Quark "X" 123-2 at 360 lumens

Olight i10 EOS at 180 lumens

Fenix E11 at 105 lumens

Next batch is the same pattern as before but with different exposure (1/80sec.)

Fenix e50 at 780 lumens

Fenix tk41 at 800 lumens

Foursevens quark "X" 123-2 at 360 lumens

Olight i10 EOS at 180 lumens

Fenix e11 at 105 lumens

Fenix e50 on top and fenix tk41 on the bottom (note at the difference in their center intensity)

Just for laughs, a Maglite 2d LED (Surprisingly, maglite is quite good, though
it is expected of an MC-E LED in a large head regardless if its only 130
lumens)

Conclusion: Well, its a fairly warm light that can stand toe-to-toe with fenixtk41 in terms of lumens output. Its a fairly throwy flashlight, but don'texpect tk41 performance. Spill is great in relation to the center spot. Its a good compromise of a spot flashlight and a flood light in such a small frame.

Last edited by a moderator:

regulation

Newly Enlightened
WOW, how sharp the first few photos you've taken! Special Thanks for the comparison between the E50 and the TK41's tint!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only drawback with my E50 is the side button. It feels "swampy" and not at all as distinct as the side button of my E25 and E35. The button of E25 is best of these lights. I guess it's a "lottery" and another E50 may has a more distinct button.

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only drawback with my E50 is the side button. It feels "swampy" and not at all as distinct as the side button of my E25 and E35. The button of E25 is best of these lights. I guess it's a "lottery" and another E50 may has a more distinct button.

I would much prefer it if it had a tail switch.
I suppose they used a side switch to appeal to the department store buyers who are accustomed to the plastic Evereadys.

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 5000K or so of the E50 looks good relative to the 6000K+ [blue] cool-whites, but is a long way from a quality 4200K neutral-white.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 5000K or so of the E50 looks good relative to the 6000K+ [blue] cool-whites, but is a long way from a quality 4200K neutral-white.

The perception of tint I find is very subjective. Compared to Fenix TK15 S2 the E50 is pretty warm. Compared to Malkoff M61W(3700K) it's pretty cool. So I would not consider the tint of E50 cool tint, rather very neutral, warmer tint will be warm. What I mean is that I think I would perceive 4200 as more warm than neutral.
Anyway the eyes can adjust the perceivable tint so it feels neutral without other tint to compare to.
I am waiting for a few Nichia Malkoff M61s 4500K, and it will be interesting to see how I will perceive them!

Last edited:

ponkan

Newly Enlightened
Do any of your 18650"s have problem fitting in?

Considering that this is my first 18650 light and that I don't have much variety in 18650's, I can't comment much on that. But I can tell you that the AW 2900 mah 18650 I bought with this puppy fits perfectly with a bit of space left (maybe around 1mm, check the photo)

Regardless, you won't hear the battery rattle inside because both ends of the flashlight (inside) has a spring that presses against the 18650, thereby holding it in place.

It has enough space to fit a paper folded in two.

Last edited:

ponkan

Newly Enlightened

The thing about the botton is, in comparison with my fenix tk41 and Foursevens Quark "X" 123-2, it feels less swampy with a distinct click. Its not in the same league as my maglite in terms of audible and tactile feel of a click (though comparing both is another issue as the fenix E50 is reverse clicky).
Regardless, I see where you're getting at wherein you can either be lucky or unlucky with the flashlight you get (in terms of tint color, "clicky" feels etc.). As for me, it feels sluggish at times. It does have a distinct advantage of a muffled/silent operation.

Last edited:

ponkan

Newly Enlightened
I suppose they used a side switch to appeal to the department store buyers who are accustomed to the plastic Evereadys.

If you prefer the tail switch, then you might want to consider the upcoming Fenix PD32 Ultimate edition. It has the same body diameter as this fenix e50, has similar lumens output (740lumens), but has less candelas/throw due to the smaller head(6k cd vs. 15k cd). It can use either 2 cr123 or 1 18650, so it's also the same in this respect to the e50 (minus the extension tube).

ponkan

Newly Enlightened

My beamshot comparison includes the White Balance setting on my camera (the same throughout to make it a fair tint comparison). I used 5000k setting since I feel that its the best compromise between cool and warm. As far as pictures go, the E50 is significantly warmer. In real life use though, I find that with untrained eyes (I can detect the difference, so my eyes might be trained?), the tint color is practically undetectable (if you don't squint and take time to see the difference).

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you prefer the tail switch, then you might want to consider the upcoming Fenix PD32 Ultimate edition. It has the same body diameter as this fenix e50, has similar lumens output (740lumens), but has less candelas/throw due to the smaller head(6k cd vs. 15k cd). It can use either 2 cr123 or 1 18650, so it's also the same in this respect to the e50 (minus the extension tube).

Because of the nice tint of E50 I ordered Fenix PD32 Ultimate edition today, neutral tint is very nice. I think it will be great for allround use, and better for short distance/indoors use because of a larger hotspot. So many great flashlights from Fenix today! :)

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
" Regardless, you won't hear the battery rattle inside because both ends of the flashlight (inside) has a spring that presses against the 18650, thereby holding it in place. "

--> That's good to hear. I am getting this light in the mail almost definitely tomorrow so I'm super excited too! Like you this will be my first 18650 light because: NW Tint, easy operation that anyone can use in a second, TAILSTANDING :twothumbs, and overall quality for the price. I was considering a TK41, but for the same price I could get this light PLUS two of the new Fenix 18650's PLUS the fenix 18650 charger. I want a TK41 style light--- but I'll be waiting until the next generation TK42(?) for that :)
Now that I have a light with pretty much the same output as a TK41 I think I'll be satiated lumen wise for a bit. (not for long though ;) )

I was thinking about making this my first review here too on CPF, but maybe I'll still put up pics too. Good review. I guess It would be nice to have square threading, but that's not a biggie really--- I'm super careful when putting on the tailcap anyway.

OH --- And that's awesome to hear that even the E50 has dual springs so the batteries won't rattle and it provides a bit more shock resistance. Nice Fenix :)

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, by the way if anybody has an E50 or can judge based on the size, can somebody recommend a holster that would fit the E50? I guess any style would do-- open or fully closed. An open one where it hangs might be good so that you can hang it on a wall or a fully closed one that would fit the full 2 18650 size E50 would maybe be good too.

I'm assuming it won't come with one when I get mine because my E40 didn't come with any kind of holster.

jbrett14

Enlightened

Or, to appeal to the common senses of those of us NON-department store buyers who prefer an ergonomically-correct switch, assuming the light is not a tactical light.

kj2

Flashaholic
Oh, by the way if anybody has an E50 or can judge based on the size, can somebody recommend a holster that would fit the E50? I guess any style would do-- open or fully closed. An open one where it hangs might be good so that you can hang it on a wall or a fully closed one that would fit the full 2 18650 size E50 would maybe be good too.

I'm assuming it won't come with one when I get mine because my E40 didn't come with any kind of holster.

E50 does come with holster.