New X40 3280 Lumen 3 x U3 LED light coming out in December similar to the TN30.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi CPFers.

I was just hunting around on the internet as usual and I found a great looking and high output LED light that looks very similar to the Thrunite TN30 but it has an external plug on the rear tailcap to charge it without removing the batteries and puts out 3280 lumens.

The X40 uses 3 x XM-L U3 LEDs.

It has a magnetic control ring like the K40, TN31 and TN30 type of lights.

It is at the website neonlaserchina dot com in the High Power Led Flashlight section and it is worth a look and they have another one there and that is the Supbeam K40 that has been reviewed on CPF lately at the link below.

This light is also advertised on the Supbeam website as well.

I do not know if you can buy directly from Supbeam or not yet.

Maybe someone can answer that one in this thread.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...upBeam-K40-thrower-(-XM-L-U2-3x18650-)-Review

I speculate as others do that all of these K40 type lights, TN31 and TN30 have one manufacturer like maybe Supbeam but I could be wrong.

These type of lights all look very similar and there has been much talk about this issue on the Forums lately.

Cheers
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

CMAG

Enlightened
Sharp looking torch but, the charge port looks easy to short out

Bwolcott

Enlightened
Hi CPFers.

I was just hunting around on the internet as usual and I found a great looking and high output LED light that looks very similar to the Thrunite TN30 but it has an external plug on the rear tailcap to charge it without removing the batteries and puts out 3280 lumens.

The X40 uses 3 x XM-L U3 LEDs.

It has a magnetic control ring like the K40, TN31 and TN30 type of lights.

It is at the website neonlaserchina dot com in the High Power Led Flashlight section and it is worth a look and they have another one there and that is the Supbeam K40 that has been reviewed on CPF lately at the link below.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?347069-SupBeam-K40-thrower-%28-XM-L-U2-3x18650-%29-Review

I speculate as others do that all of these K40 type lights, TN31 and TN30 have one manufacturer like maybe Supbeam but I could be wrong.

These type of lights all look very similar and there has been much talk about this issue on the Forums lately.

Cheers
:thumbsup:

you would speculate right search around there are already threads saying Supbeam makes all these lights

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sharp looking torch but, the charge port looks easy to short out

I read somewhere that the batteries are charged in parallel but the light is run with the batteries in series or it could be the other way around.

I am aware that the Sunwayman T60CS had that problem with shorting the charge contacts together but I don't know if they have fixed that problem or there was some temporary workaround for it.

Maybe the X40 is isolated by a diode setup or something even smarter that will not let you take power from the charge contacts and only lets you put power into the light as any external charge contacts should do if the designers have an ounce of intelligence.

I would like to see a review on this light when it becomes available soon as well as everybody else would.

Cheers

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have speculated for quite some time that most of these Chinese lights are made in a few large factories in "OEM" specifications and quantities for the manufacturers names which we recognize.
And I further speculate that the main difference between the "Budget lights" costing $30, and the "Premium lights" coming from China, is simply the large mark-up being put on the price.
I think it has been this way all along, and people are just now beginning to catch on to it.

Bwolcott

Enlightened
I have speculated for quite some time that most of these Chinese lights are made in a few large factories in "OEM" specifications and quantities for the manufacturers names which we recognize.
And I further speculate that the main difference between the "Budget lights" costing $30, and the "Premium lights" coming from China, is simply the large mark-up being put on the price.
I think it has been this way all along, and people are just now beginning to catch on to it.

no their are definitely differences between the real budget lights and the name brands, fenix, sunwayman etc... are way nice then ultrafire, trustfire etc..

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I think its some of both, but, for the most part, lights seem to be made to price points just like all other commodities. For example, if Walmart wants to sell a brand name tire for a particular price point...but can't get the OEM tire at the price point they need to attract buyers...they ask the factory to "Value Engineer" a version of the tire just for them.

That way, say the OEM tire has excellent UV and ozone resistence, and wet traction, and low temperature flexibility due to more expensive rubber compounds, or more damage resistant sidewalls due to added plies, etc...the value engineered version might cut a few of those features to drop the cost of making the tire low enough to justify a volume based price point match.

The arch-typical "Good - Better -Best" charts will list mileage or other unimpacted factors to "compare" with, so Joe Consumer is told what the paramaters he looks at will be...and select the tire with the highest mile warrenty, etc...or the most miles for his perceived value/price point, etc.

So two lights can look similar, and have similar performance if you choose what to compare...but will tend to have skipped things that cost $ to make the light able to be sold for less.

Of course, people DO pay more for a name brand with a proven track record...some will pay a hundred times more for example, as they REALLY want to be SURE.

:D

The light MIGHT be better for all that added money...but, it might not. The sales are driven by the idea that at a minimum, at least the sure bet is not going to suck below a certain point...and it will work as advertised.

The newcomers typically must undercut the known brands to get a sale...as few will take a chance on an expensive light w/o some idea of what to expect quality-wise.

That can make them a screaming deal, or a rip-off, depending on how they positioned their products.

langham

Enlightened
I contacted Supbeam about where to buy this light, if I can buy it yet. They haven't replied yet, but should get back to me in the next couple of days. Right now at least I am not going to put it on my christmas list, because I am going to try to get one of the last remaining TN31 lights at the sale price.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did no one pre-order one of these?

Hi xed888.

I made a post about this light on 11-19-2012, 08:02 PM but did not order an X40 because like you and others, I do not know anything solid about the manufacturer.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?347925-New-X40-3280-Lumen-3-x-U3-LED-light-coming-out-in-December-similar-to-the-TN30

The X40 looked good with it's charger plug and other apparently good points.

If there is any more information about this light I would like to know as well.

It looks like the Suprabeam company has dropped the X40 as it still does not appear on the website.

CHEERS

xed888

Enlightened
Hi xed888.

I made a post about this light on 11-19-2012, 08:02 PM but did not order an X40 because like you and others, I do not know anything solid about the manufacturer.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?347925-New-X40-3280-Lumen-3-x-U3-LED-light-coming-out-in-December-similar-to-the-TN30

It looks like the Suprabeam company has dropped the X40 as it still does not appear on the website.

CHEERS

Hi Oztorchfreak

You do realise that you linked the same thread that we are both posting in?

Its SUPBEAM, not Suprabeam

Thanks!

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi xed888.

CHEERS

Hi xed888.

What a silly thing to do!

I was commenting on a post by Norm on another thread about anyone knowing much about Suprabeam and got a little cross-wired in the process.

I am getting confused with the X40, K40 Supbeam and Suprabeam.

I realise now that the X40 is still available on the Supbeam website.

I would still like to know whether the charging plug on the X40 is protected against being short circuited by the use of a diode or whatever to isolate the light from any power being available at the plug when not being charged and unplugged from the charger!

The Sunwayman T60CS has had numerous comments regarding the short circuiting of the charger plug on the light with keys etc and this could be dangerous as one should easily be able to work out.

Sorry guys about the original post mixup.

I have a headache now.

CHEERS

Last edited:

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Link to X40 page:
http://www.neonlaserchina.com/sdp/1...L_U3_LED_3280_Lumens_High_Power_Magnetic.html

Link to manufacturer main page:
http://www.neonlaserchina.com/

1) The main on-off switch at the tailcap still seems a bit awkward to me for a large light like this one.
2) Then, having to use the other hand to switch modes with the rotating mode ring up front is awkward again.
3) It also looks rather large.
4) As far as lumens output which is good, pretty soon everyone will be announcing output increases using the new U3 LED.

Last edited:

Globi23

Newly Enlightened
some german guys received their "examples". Not very satisfied... they more or less received prototypes.

langham

Enlightened
some german guys received their "examples". Not very satisfied... they more or less received prototypes.

They seem like they would be amazing, with the infinite brightness ring and the U3 bin led, but I would like to see one before purchase if what you say is true. I would also like to remove the old XM-L and put the new XM-L2 in their to see if I could squeeze just a couple more lumens out of that light.

Globi23

Newly Enlightened
latest info is that compared with tm11 (ceiling bounce test), he guesses only about 2350 lumen.

wdkingery

Newly Enlightened
im not sold yet either. i have contacted neonlaserchina twice now, and the same guy has responded both times, but from two different emails (one from neonlaser and one from hotmail)

he said they are sold out, will have more on the 25th of jan, and could have one on my doorstep by "febunary" ...right? also, said the out the door cost, paypal fees and all, was $190 american. i think i will lurk first. someone buy this light already.