Klarus        
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Selfbuilt's Flashlight Reviews: the new and improved flashlightreviews.ca

Default Re: Selfbuilt's Flashlight Reviews: the new and improved flashlightreviews.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Not Hot View Post
    Not to diminish any other reviewers, but your's in particular helped me understand how little I know and how far this field extends.
    My pleasure, glad you have found them useful.

And
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's Spring 2018 Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Default Re: Selfbuilt's Flashlight Reviews: the new and improved flashlightreviews.ca

Do you ever have time to go to the movies or some other fun activity besides work and reviews?

Thanks! I'd be in the tall grass without your reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    Do you ever have time to go to the movies or some other fun activity besides work and reviews?
    Does analyzing whisky (and whisky reviews) count? http://whiskyanalysis.com/

it's true that I don't have a lot of classical "free time" given work and my hobbies, but yes, I do enjoy seeing movies with the Mrs.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's Spring 2018 Sale

No Malkoffs?
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    No Malkoffs?
    That's true, I've never reviewed one. I never intended to do a comprehensive survey of lights, simply what I had from personal purchases, or (more recently) from what was sent to me for review.

Thank you for the great review Selfbuilt

I have been reading a kot of your reviews and it really helps a lot when choosing a light and making decisions as it can be quite overwhelming when looking at all the different choices

Any chance you could review EAGTAC SX30C2 and/or MX30L3...?

I've tried to see if you've given an explanation somewhere, but can't find it, so if you have I apologize in advance for bothering you, but I'm curious--I find that you have measured lights that you don't review. For instance in your Thrunite TN4A review you compare the flashlight against the Fenix E41 among others, but I can't find an E41 review anywhere. Are you actually obtaining the light, measuring it but not reviewing it? If so, could you do a micro (much smaller than your mini) review and at least give your impressions?

Woops--discovered your 4AA group test--I suspect that the E41 was very atypical, as it looks like it was the only one that wasn't fully reviewed. Is that because you're just not particularly impressed with Fenix?
    Last edited by LarryB; 12-28-2016 at 02:33 PM.

Hi all,
    I know I haven't been around for a long time - sorry for not stopping by earlier to give y'all an update.

My work life got pretty crazy last year, when I was asked to take on a whole new bunch of responsibilities (and travel) - basically, doing the work of an extra 1.5 individuals on top of all my old responsibilities. Unfortunately, this will likely get even worse in the short-term as we loose even more people (and then I will need to train some new folks to help take some of the load off). Between that and my whisky reviewing hobby (http://whiskyanalysis.com/), I have had NO time to even test any of the flashlights I have on hand.

I feel bad about this situation, since I had more than a dozen lights in various stages of testing before the end of last year. I have since informed all the makers who have asked that I am no longer taking lights for the foreseeable future. I do hope to post at least a cursory analysis of the lights on hand, but not sure when I will find the time.

I appreciate all the well wishes, and will try to check in a bit more frequently.
    Last edited by selfbuilt; 03-25-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Thanks for the update as I know all look forward to your review work. Best wishes.

🏻

Thanks for popping in and letting us know that you are all good/ok/fine. A lot of people were worrying about you, and a lot of people were wondering how you are doing.

I started missing your regular contributions a while back, when I checked regularly for the appearance of your highly anticipated Meteor M43 review, and none ever appeared.

I feel very grateful that your past few reviews on recent products were provided by you to us, even though you were super busy at the time that you made and provided the reviews.

Your review of the Niwalker MM15 is what got me started on high-performance flashlights.

I think the flashlight industry should offer you double the income to wrest you from your current work; that is still not commensurate with how extremely valuable your contributions to this industry are. However large an offer, whatever it takes, would be the correct offer to get this done.
    Acebeam two X65Vn, X45vn70.2. Eagletac MX25L4CvnT XP-L. Fenix TK75vnQ70. Manker MK34Vn XPL.
    Nitecore TM06Svn 4 x XHP50.2. Noctigon Meteor M43vn XP-L dd. P60vn Quad XP-L HD 2 cell host Cryos Cu head. Thrunite TN36UTvn, TN42vn.

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    when I was asked to take on a whole new bunch of responsibilities (and travel) - basically, doing the work of an extra 1.5 individuals on top of all my old responsibilities.
    1.5 + 1 = factor 2.5 ? 😵
    If you're getting now 2.5x of your original pay, then no complaints here

At least a 50% increase in pay, for a total 1.5x factor, would be great to begin with.

I hope things are working out for you, maybe you could review again some zebra lights for us on the very next occasion. They're always hot items on CPF.
    ~ bitterness about poor quality remains long after sweetness of low price is forgotten ~

Hi all,
    I know I haven't been around for a long time - sorry for not stopping by earlier to give y'all an update.

My work life got pretty crazy last year, when I was asked to take on a whole new bunch of responsibilities (and travel) - basically, doing the work of an extra 1.5 individuals on top of all my old responsibilities. Unfortunately, this will likely get even worse in the short-term as we loose even more people (and then I will need to train some new folks to help take some of the load off). Between that and my whisky reviewing hobby (http://whiskyanalysis.com/), I have had NO time to even test any of the flashlights I have on hand.

I feel bad about this situation, since I had more than a dozen lights in various stages of testing before the end of last year. I have since informed all the makers who have asked that I am no longer taking lights for the foreseeable future. I do hope to post at least a cursory analysis of the lights on hand, but not sure when I will find the time.

I appreciate all the well wishes, and will try to check in a bit more frequently.
    No need to apologize. You've provided an incredible service to this community, for years, for free. Given all the added work responsibility, we can certainly understand why you'd be focused less on flashlights and more on whiskey...

<SNIP>I have had NO time to even test any of the flashlights I have on hand.

No need to apologize; you have provided the forum with an incredible wealth of information and a hugely valuable resource for members making purchase decisions.

I belong to several hobby forums and I can't think of any individual who has provided so much for the members. Best of luck with the whisky reviews! (I like Balvenie Double-wood.)

Take it easy,
    Bob
    ​"What do you carry a flashlight for?!"

Flashaholic* Crazyeddiethefirst's Avatar

Your service has been admirable, and I credit much of my knowledge base to your consistent approach and methodology of testing. I appreciate you letting us know what is going on-I wanted to write & inquire but my logic was if your time was stretched to it's limit then emails from a large group wouldn't help. I wish we could help...
    Thanks for the years of evaluations you have provided!

Thanks for all the support and understanding everyone. And no, kreisl, my work pay did not go up - although that certainly would have been nice!

This summer has actually been busier than before, as I'm now bringing new staff up to speed. But we've agreed that I will go back to a more standard work arrangement by next summer. But for now I'm still swamped!

I've just started a sales thread in the marketplace, for some of the most recent lights I've reviewed. You can check them out here. Depending on interest, I may do some additional sell offs in the future (time permitting!).

Cheers!

Hello Selfbuilt,

I will dearly wait for your return this summer. I have some exciting lights I would love to send your way :-)

Vinh
    I am happy to realize how happy I am. Thus, a chain reaction of happiness.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234