Selfbuilt's Flashlight Reviews: the new and improved flashlightreviews.ca

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
UPDATE April 16, 2023: I've completely revamped my flashlightreviews.ca website for 2023, as it is now the repository for all my new reviews. See my post further down this thread for details. I'm leaving the old announcement notice below (from 2012) for archival reasons. :)

Hi all,
I have done a full revamp of my flashlight review listing site, www.flashlightreviews.ca. :party:

You will still find full lists of all my CPF reviews on the site, but in a much more clearly organized fashion. There is also a lot of new background content, especially under the FAQ and Methods tabs (which have similarly been re-organized for clarity).

I've also started putting a prominent link right on the main page for my most recent review.

One interesting new feature is the custom Google search (top right-hand corner), which searches CPF specifically. I've customized the search result placement box on my site, so it all comes up at the top of the main page box for each given page. To close the search result box, just hit the "x" beside the search input field at the top right-hand corner of the page.

Let me know what you think of the new site! 👋

UPDATE March 25, 2017: Sorry I haven't been around for a long time - my work life got pretty crazy last year, will likely get even worse in the short-term. Between that and my whisky reviewing hobby (http://whiskyanalysis.com/), I have had NO time to even test any of the flashlights I have on hand. I have since informed all the makers who have asked that I am no longer taking lights for the foreseeable future. I do hope to post at least a cursory analysis of the lights on hand, but not sure when I will find the time. :sigh:

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Selfbuilt's Flashlight Reviews: the new and improved flaslightreviews.ca

Thank you. Great reviews. It's hard to improve upon perfection.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Selfbuilt's Flashlight Reviews: the new and improved flaslightreviews.ca

It looks very good, you are a very valuable resource.

You helped me so much that I used your donation link and was happy to help with a small donation. :thumbsup:

AnotherA

Newly Enlightened

Your reviews have helped me out immensely. Thank you!

ZRXBILL

Enlightened

Wow, I guess you can always get better. Thanks for all your hard work.

Swede74

Enlightened

Very nice revamp:twothumbs Your site leaves very little to be desired for the flashlight enthusiast, but if I may offer a suggestion that might appeal to the general public, or anyone who is looking to buy a flashlight and has already decided how much they are willing to spend: perhaps you could offer the option of viewing your reviews organized by price?

On a completely unrelated note: I thought cats were experts at nimbly stepping out of your way when you're about to step on them in the dark.

Finally, I'd like to chime in with previous posters and thank you again for all the valuable information you have contributed to the flashlight community, and for all your hard work.

cyclesport

Enlightened

Great looking Site! My thanks as well for all your hard work and attention to detail...you are the gold standard sir! Just thinking out loud but perhaps you could add an "upcoming flashlight review" teaser to let us know what newly released lights are in the pipeline for a near future review?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Thanks for the support everyone. :grouphug:

You helped me so much that I used your donation link and was happy to help with a small donation. :thumbsup:
Thanks, I appreciate that. I don't accept any sort of sponsorship/advertising, and fund all my reviews out of my own pocket. The battery costs (not to mention the frequent custom/duty fees, photo server fees, website fees, etc.) can really add up quickly, so the donations to my battery fund are always greatly appreciated. :)

Very nice revamp:twothumbs Your site leaves very little to be desired for the flashlight enthusiast, but if I may offer a suggestion that might appeal to the general public, or anyone who is looking to buy a flashlight and has already decided how much they are willing to spend: perhaps you could offer the option of viewing your reviews organized by price?
Hmmm, interesting idea. One of the challenges there is that prices frequently drop over time, and all models have a limited commercial lifespan (so would require a lot of updates, etc.). I'll give it some thought ... maybe some sort of price indicator could work.

On a completely unrelated note: I thought cats were experts at nimbly stepping out of your way when you're about to step on them in the dark.
Really? I always thought they seem to go out of their way to try and trip me (especially on the stairs). :rolleyes: Seriously though, sleeping cats can be a road hazard en route the bathroom at night ... :whistle:

Just thinking out loud but perhaps you could add an "upcoming flashlight review" teaser to let us know what newly released lights are in the pipeline for a near future review?
I try to avoid doing that, to save myself from all the inevitable queries that would follow (i.e., so when will be ready?, can you tell what the throw is like?, what's the beam tint like?, etc.). As it as, the manufacturers frequently request updates on my testing/review status ... as you can imagine, there's almost always a few weeks lag time from receipt to full review.

More practically, there can often be delays due to problems that I uncover. This can require some back-and-forth with the manufacturer, and may even require new samples to be shipped out and re-tested. So I prefer not to "tease" unless I know for sure a review is imminent (i.e., I'm just putting the finishing touches on it).

Thank you. Great reviews. It's hard to improve upon perfection.
Mrs selfbuilt might disagree with you there :laughing: ... but I appreciate the sentiment!

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great website, professional revamp, congrats! And thanks!

So I prefer not to "tease" unless I know for sure a review is imminent.
No kidding. If you could share such kind of "imminent info", we'd love to know!! :huh:

TEEJ

Flashaholic

:rock::rock:

You are a god among men.

HgVapor

Newly Enlightened
Long time lurker but I had to peek out from behind the flashlight to say thanks and great job! I've been helped often by your work!:twothumbs

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast

Congratulations to the improved site. It's great & very helpful! :twothumbs

Thanks a lot for your time & effort as always. :thanks:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great work!

I like to try and improve what I do and to try to raise the bar that you originally set. Now you have raised it again!

With a full time challenging job, a full time challenging Mrs Subwoofer (don't tell her I said that), and 'life', it is often hard for me to find time for the reviews.

How do you find the time? (glad you do)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Thanks everyone - I appreciate all the positive support. :wave:

Absolutely perfect
With a full time challenging job, a full time challenging Mrs Subwoofer (don't tell her I said that), and 'life', it is often hard for me to find time for the reviews.
Actually, I keep thinking of things I would like to add or improve - especially in making the site more interactive, and a greater resource. The question is really one of time (or more specifically, diminishing returns for the amount of time required). In a zero-sum world, the more time I spend on the site is less time I spend on reviews ... :whistle:

But bit-by-bit, I hope to keep adding useful new features to the site. I will post any updates here. :)

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

selfbuilt, CPF is a better place because of you ~
:thumbsup:

...your new site looks great & we all owe you a huge thanks!

bodhran

Enlightened

The site looks great. Added to Favorites. So many of my flashlights were purchased due to your reviews and you haven't let me down yet..*s*