Is there a IC for sale that contorols a RGB led ?

tonyb

Enlightened
Does anyone know if somebody sells a controller IC that runs red, green, and blue leds and allows you to switch between different patterns? I think this question might of been asked before somewhere.
Thanks!
-tonyb

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
You could probably build a walking ring or even a straight binary counter that would provide you with a few patterns. A 3-bit binary counter would cycle the LED's elements through all 8 possible combinations. The 3-bit counter could be built using only two chips and a sprinkling of support components.

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
Another thought...if you used a larger counter you could use the extra outputs for driving the LED elements at fractional currents...thereby generating a larger palette of colors. For instance, bits 0, 1, and 2 would drive R, G, and B at 1/3 rated current, and bits 3, 4, and 5 would drive the same three elements at 2/3 rated current. This would give you four possible brightness levels per color (0/3-no outputs on, 1/3, 2/3, 3/3-both outputs on together). This would produce 64 different colors, I think. You might be able to find some 8-bit binary counters in a single package that would work. If not, you can cascade two 4-bit binary counters, increasing your IC count to 3.

RGBrainbow

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
i programmed a PIC12c508 to auto-cycle a RGB-combination of Luxeon 1W (red, green, royalblue). The actual programm allows to 'freeze' the changing-process and show the actual colour permanently. A 7Hz colourchanging strobe is also selectable.
Schematics are available.
Is this like what You are looking for?
greetings
Joachim

tonyb

Enlightened
I figured that would be the "easiest" way to do it other than a custom chip but I guess that doesn't exsist right now. Thanks!

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
RGBrainBow: schematics, hex/asm code and pictures of your unit would be nice, i want something to light up a small rod of acrylic in a never ending colour change that can be 'paused', like the CKSauce Light Wand, but less functions and the pausing ability. also, does anyone know where i can get schematics for a SIMPLE, CHEAP PIC12C508 Serial Programmer?

Neg.

RGBrainbow

Newly Enlightened
Re: Is there a IC for sale that controls a RGB led ?

Hi,

sorry for the late reply, i wasn't here for some time.
I was fighting with the controller to teach it additional tricks. But now it's done.
This is, what it can do now:
- colorfading, speed adjustable in 256 steps
- random colorchanging, speed adjustable in 256 steps
- colorfading strobe, flashing speed adjustable in 256 steps
- random colorchanging strobe, flashing speed adjustable in 256 steps
- fire simulation
- intensity of R(,B,G)-channel adjustable in 256 steps, to mix static colors
- 'white light' dimmer (256 steps), where all 3 channels are driven with the same intensity
- 'freeze'-button to stop colorchanging(-fading, fire simulation) FX and show the actual color permanently.
- on/off button to switch the LEDs on and off, changing is stopped, when LEDs are off
- operated via 6 buttons
I wanted to add some more features, but now the PIC12c508 is filled to the top except 1 byte program memory and 1 bit RAM, so there is no more room for more tricks...

Is there a way to post the schematic and some pictures?

regards
joachim