Review: Sylvania 78641 18 watt "Ultra LED" floodlight bulb for PAR38 fixtures

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Review: Sylvania 78641 18 watt "Ultra LED" floodlight bulb for PAR38 fixtures

We have been running multiple sets of 75 watt floodlights (6 bulbs total) to illuminate the exterior of our house and yard. In order to reduce the consumed wattage these bulbs were replaced with 15 watt CFL floodlights over the course of the Summer, taking us from roughly 450 watts down to 90 watts. However the relatively long "warmup-to-full-brightness" period (made worse by cool/cold weather) of the CFL bulbs proved to be completely unsatisfactory for a couple of the locations, especially one that covers a walkway and stairs to the back yard so in that specific fixture we reverted to incandescent. My desire to try something else led to the purchase of one Sylvania 78641 18 watt "Ultra LED bulb" for PAR38 fixtures as it was on sale for $44.

According to the manufacturer the bulb is

• "Narrow Flood"
  • 3000k temp
  • Rated for 25,000 hours (According to Sylvania/Osram, lifetime defined as hours when lamp reaches 70% of it's initial lumens)
  • 900 lumens
  • Operation from -40F to 113F
  • Suitable for wet locations when used in an outdoor approved fixture
  • 3 year warranty

When turned on the light has a roughly one-half to one second delay before turning on, it then comes on full brightness with no noticeable "warm up" time.

There are "Wide" and "Narrow" flood versions. I have the "narrow" one and actually it is pretty much perfect for illuminating the intended walkway and stairs without excessive overspill onto the neighbor's side windows. For the general area in the back yard a wider flood would probably be more effective.

The bulb is rated at 900 lumens and I was unsure that would be enough considering it was replacing a 1200 lumen incandescent, however the beam is even and well controlled making efficient use of the lumens and providing excellent coverage of the area I wanted to light with it. The color is pleasing to my eye (I hate BLUE lighting).

The bulb itself has a MASSIVE heat sink, but did not seem to get very warm at all (though it was a pretty cool night at 42 degrees F).

I will re-post as time goes by to report on durability as this light is screwed into an outdoor fixture, but is otherwise completely exposed on the side of an outdoors post and will therefore be subject to direct sun in the day, rain, snow, mist, and the full range of temperatures.

2012_300HS_0873.jpg

My initial impression is extremely favorable though even the sale price is too high for me to consider wholesale replacement of the other bulbs which would total more than $250

Last edited:

brickbat

Enlightened
Re: Review: Sylvania 78641 18 watt "Ultra LED" floodlight bulb for PAR38 fixtures

According to the manufacturer the bulb is

• Suitable for wet locations when used in an outdoor approved fixture
I will re-post as time goes by to report on durability as this light is screwed into an outdoor fixture, but is otherwise completely exposed on the side of an outdoors post and will therefore be subject to direct sun in the day, rain, snow, mist, and the full range of temperatures.

That lamp isn't rated to survive direct exposure to rain. It's likely to fail after a few rain storms...

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Review: Sylvania 78641 18 watt "Ultra LED" floodlight bulb for PAR38 fixtures

That lamp isn't rated to survive direct exposure to rain. It's likely to fail after a few rain storms...

It says "wet locations" on the package and according to Sylvania's own data sheet (PDF Document)
"Suitable for use in indoor environments and outdoor environments with open fixtures"

If it's not suitable then Sylvania needs to work on their verbage because I was specifically searching for a "wet location" bulb and this is what came up.

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

Quick update;
Four weeks and some serious wet weather and it's still holding up fine so far. I'll continue to update if anything happens so that others will know how this light operated under real world conditions.

brickbat

Enlightened

Good to know - My mistake. I assumed that by "approved outdoor fixture" Sylvania had in mind one that would shield the lamp from rain...

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

Brickbat,
Who knows, you may still be right. Check back in about a year and we'll see.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE

As we approach one full year of use with this light I wanted to come back and do a quick status update.

According to my notes this bulb has seen roughly 1,600 hours of use in the same exposed fixture. It has been rained on a LOT (including many torrential, flood inducing, storms) and has also seen service when covered in snow and ice. It has been exposed to direct sunlight for the entire period and has been operated in temperatures from 3 degrees F to 102 degrees F. In short it has been run through the wringer to be absolute best of my current ability.

The light is still 100% functional and, according to my crude light testing equipment, hasn't lost any measurable brightness.

All of my initial positive impressions still stand and, if I had the money, then I would now go ahead and replace ALL of my outside lights with identical or similar bulbs.

MattPete

Newly Enlightened

I'm pretty sure that that is one of the bulbs that Sylvania contracted out to Lighting Science. The contracted brands had a simpler heat sink design than the ones branded as Lighting Science:

resize.php

The updated version (with the lighter plastic heat sink) is now being sold at the Orange store as an Ecosmart for $35.

74a2269f-b5d6-4d16-82e3-ca8672d560fd_300.jpg

jonthelandlord

Newly Enlightened

It's not clear one way or he other. This link says: "Suitable for outdoor use when used in a UL rated fixture where protected from the weather"

http://assets.sylvania.com/assets/Documents/RETRO037R3 (2).d44a4255-9bbd-46e8-85a3-0f19c24666e1.pdf

OK, I was wondering also if these can be installed outside exposed to weather. I contacted the company and got this response:

"Thank you for contacting Philips Lighting Customer Care. Our LED lights can be used in "damp" locations such as your bathroom, or porch area, or anything with a covering if it will be used outdoors. It cannot be use in direct rain or snow like most security lights. If you are in need of further assistance, please contact our Philips Lighting"

So the answer is no.

As far as my research went, there are no LED PAR lamps that can be used outdoors in an uncovered exposed fixture. Or at least are not supposed to be used that way.