• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

stainless steel body questions

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
I have several questions about the knurled stainless steel bodies for the Eiger and Logan/AA

These two links talk about the degree of sharpness of the knurling in the stainless steel bodies.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?283486-Eiger-Stainless-Steel-Knurled
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?338098-17500-AA-Peak-Logan-QTC

In the second link, someone made this comment about the Logan SS:

"The body has a different knurl that all my other Peak lights - it's a very fine knurling with a number of shallow knurls rather than a few deep knurls. It gives excellent grip but I don't like the feeling - it feels a little like 1200 grit sandpaper; smooth with a bit of bite."

(1) So the Eiger SS body has a knurling that is less sharp than that of the Logan body ? And is the knurling of the Logan SS body sharp enough to be abrasive to a trouser pocket and to the aluminum body of a flashlight carried next to a Logan SS body ? How is the sharpness of the Eiger ss body for carrying in a trouser pocket and next to another flashlight ?

(2) In a thread (link) where a few people reported flickering in their SS Peak flashlight, someone speculated that SS is the culprit because of poorer electrical transmittence.

I'm unclear if the flickering that has been reported in Peak flashlights is limited to those units with momentary switches or if stainless steel may be a part of the problem; if I order a stainless steel lug, flat, or keychain body, is there a risk of flickering ?

(3) The Eiger at oveready.com uses a stainless steel head. If I paired that with an aluminum body, I wonder if that would make it top-heavy and if that top-heaviness would make that Eiger land probably on its head if it got dropped.
Peak's website (peakledsolutions.net) reports the weight for aluminum, ss, and brass bodies.
The Eiger ss bodies weighs about 0.7 ounces more than their aluminum counterparts.

What do you think of the possibility that pairing a ss Eiger head with a ss Eiger body would make it more likely that the Eiger would land anywhere other than the head because of the additional weight of the ss body ?

My concern about how a Eiger would land if dropped is because of the damage to the head from a drop described by member eyeeatingfish in post #14 here (link)

(4) A complaint I've read about titanium bodies is coarse gritty threads.
Would an Eiger ss body have threads that would make the head harder to loosen or tighten in contrast to the threads of an aluminum Eiger body ?

Thank you in advance for your time and help!

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. The knurling on my Logan is buttery smooth. Maybe a bit too smooth. Guess it depends on the run?

2. I experienced some flickering on my NP300A SS towards the end of a charge on an 18650. SS might be a slight contributing factor, but when I use 2xRCR123 there is little to no flicker at the end of their charge. I would chalk it up to batteries as a bigger factor.

3. It's not that much more top heavy. You might feel the difference holding it in your hand.

4. I've yet to experience gritty Ti threads. I don't have a threaded Ti flashlight, but my Ti pen has smooth threads. Not sure if you're referencing something specific to Peak Ti lights, but I've never handled a Ti Peak. AFAIK I haven't read any problems with Peak's Ti line, if anything compliments.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
What dudemar said.

Some production runs of knurled SS bodies are a bit sharper than others, but I've never seen any that were too abrasive for pocket carry. And having dropped more SS Eigers more often than ANYONE, I can honestly say don't worry - the durability of the potted head is fantastic and cosmetic marring is generally undetectable. One thing not mentioned very often is the fact that these lights are easily polished, to the extent of eliminating blemishes and even wearing down the knurling if desired. I use an auto body metal polish with a cotton buffing wheel for excellent results. My photo skills leave a lot to be desired, but here's a sample:

IMG0036-1.jpg

RobME

Newly Enlightened
In my own experience, the stainless steel bodies of these lights is just fine. The knurling could be deeper (imo), but it's nicely & lightly textured. A pleasure to own in SS !!!

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The threads on my stainless steel Eiger and El Capitan are very smooth -- moreso than my Peak aluminum lights.

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
Thank you everyone ! All of your feedback helped me a lot! I like the fact that oveready's website makes it easy to buy different bodies at reasonable prices; I've decided to buy for a family member one type of body in ss and another type of body in aluminum. At the present time, as a general rule buying just a body does not seem an available option on either peakledsolutions.net or em-mgt.com for the Eiger, Logan/AA, and Capitan series; about the only exception seems to be several 2xAAA bodies for the Eiger series.

dudemar: I was unclear in my post. I was referencing comments from members about non-Peak brand Ti flashlights.

Dances with Flashlight: Great suggestion! I had not thought of polishing for the effect on both appearance and knurling

Last edited: