out the front knive - position of switch

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
... finally thinking of getting an OTF (double action), even when the prices are much higher than I thought
and while checking the offers, I am wondering about the position of the switch.

There not only are the typical ones, at the wide side of the handle, but also ones placed at the thin side :thinking:
Playing around with a box cutter (same size) and can not say what position might be the "better" one - is there any thought/agreement about that?

In the moment the 2 models were:
Benchmade Mini Infidel - I like the blade style. Price: :(
HK 14850 Epidemic - price: :) thin blade style: :(

any pro / cons which You are thinking of?

PS: interestingly, auto knives have been allowed again here with the last amendment of weapon laws (which banned pump guns and such)

choppedlow

Newly Enlightened
I'm a big fan of the OTF. I have the Infidel and an HK, but they do seem on the smaller size. For OTF's, the all around best (in general) I have found so far are the Microtechs. The absolute best method of deployment, to me, is the push button that is on the Halo V and the Nemesis. The switch on the thin side is second because it is easy to deploy with your hand already in position. The third kind, like you find on the Infidel and some of the others, I'm not a fan. They feel like a utility blade. If you want something that has some size, the Combat Troodon by Microtech is over 9 inches when deployed and they are still "reasonable" ($400 range). The Halo V is just under a foot long when deployed, but they start at $560. It's freaking huge! The OTF is right now my favorite knife! Nothing like that 'WHACK!!!" when it's deployed! If your on a budget, bladehq has these ones called the Lightning OTF that are only $30, or $50 for two of them. Pretty good for that cheap. If you take them apart and do a better finishing job with a file and make the blade slide better, they deploy well enough.