Bad Gerber from China

CaptainBrock

Newly Enlightened
A little story to relate a recent eBay experience:
I purchased a very nice black Gerber folding knife ("Kiowa", Model 01405) on eBay for 8.50 USD, free shipping from China. There were four other bidders.
It was beautiful but I took a close look at the side-locking latch. It did not engage even 50% of the width of the lock bar, which is even thinner than the blade. Worse, a small area of the blade where the lock would seat was misformed and missing metal. Deceptively, the knife opened and seemed to lock well with a good click. But I would never trust it.
I messaged the seller with an explanation and requested a refund. I got a full refund.
OK, so now, what do I do with this knife? :duh2:

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
snap in half (safely) and toss in trash

Grind it down so it is rounded, perfectly smooth, and not sharp anywhere on the blade, and use as a trainer to practice drawing and deploying, or to teach a youngster how to open and close a pocket knife.

Do not use to spar on a human being.

locutus_of_borg

Newly Enlightened
read on gerbers web site and i think you will find out that it was a fake. gerber ships from the usa. if i am not mistaken.

naiter

Newly Enlightened
+ prob a fake.

turn it into a pocket clip... or trash it. mail it to gerber, they'll tell you its fake but maybe they'll send you a real one anyways?

CaptainBrock

Newly Enlightened
It is done!

DSC03151GerberWhole_zps55f9726e.jpg

DSC03153Tools_zps90a9fc7e.jpg

DSC03155GerberDestroyed_zps0fabf236.jpg

And lesson learned!

Last edited: